• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Think Books Present Better....

35 posts in this topic

...in a CGC case, or in a Mylar with white backing board?

I have to constantly fight the urge to crack out graded comics because I love the way they look with a white backing board behind them. It just seems to make the colors look nicer and brighter.

image.jpeg

Edited by Paul_Maul

12 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Ultra Pro Top Loader.  Eliminates the wavy effects of plastic bags and allows the benefit of inserting a white backboard in a rigid plastic casing...best of both worlds.  I think they are great for displaying.

20170702_150024.jpg.292718cdcc7e8f32b87d1582d11672e1.jpg

Not archival though. Mylar is, and has no waves.

Edited by Sawx

I had my entire ASM run in double Mylite2's with triple backing boards. The first Mylite2 was cut to the size of the book, then that was placed against three backing boards and popped into a second Mylite2.  That way, no part of the comic rested against a board.  It cost a fortune, but I have to say they looked fantastic. I kept them that way when I sold them and all my customers were delighted with them. They really enhanced the look of the book. I even made customised labels for the variants and insert copies, with the label on the front of the inner Mylite2.  Occasionally, I see one of my old books at the London fair and on Ebay. 'One of mine' I think wistfully. 

Slabs are ok, but they don't make a book look good in my humble opinion.  You can't beat a lovely raw in a mylar. 

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I had my entire ASM run in double Mylite2's with triple backing boards. The first Mylite2 was cut to the size of the book, then that was placed against three backing boards and popped into a second Mylite2.  That way, no part of the comic rested against a board.  It cost a fortune, but I have to say they looked fantastic. I kept them that way when I sold them and all my customers were delighted with them. They really enhanced the look of the book. I even made customised labels for the variants and insert copies, with the label on the front of the inner Mylite2.  Occasionally, I see one of my old books at the London fair and on Ebay. 'One of mine' I think wistfully. 

Slabs are ok, but they don't make a book look good in my humble opinion.  You can't beat a lovely raw in a mylar. 

Do you have pictures of this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean about cutting a Mylite2 to the size of the book. Also, why wouldn't you want the book against the backing board, if it's like an e-gerber buffered board?

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Do you have pictures of this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean about cutting a Mylite2 to the size of the book. Also, why wouldn't you want the book against the backing board, if it's like an e-gerber buffered board?

The boards themselves are abrasive.  You have to be careful that there is not too much travel inside, if the books are getting handled or shipped.

For my nicest raw books, I put a magazine sized full back in a magazine sized Mylar. I then put the book upside down in a silver age sized Mylar and slide that into the mag mylar, so nothing is open at the top. Presents nicely.

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

Edited by Paul_Maul

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

I think so, I'll try and find them tonight and explain further. Off out now. 

14 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Ultra Pro Top Loader.  Eliminates the wavy effects of plastic bags and allows the benefit of inserting a white backboard in a rigid plastic casing...best of both worlds.  I think they are great for displaying.

20170702_150024.jpg.292718cdcc7e8f32b87d1582d11672e1.jpg

I agree with you, but for one thing. I use a mylar\full back board, and place that in a magazine size toploader . That way there is a buffer between the non archival toploader. I love toploaders they are sturdy,present nicely.

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I agree with you, but for one thing. I use a mylar\full back board, and place that in a magazine size toploader . That way there is a buffer between the non archival toploader. I love toploaders they are sturdy,present nicely.

It's as close to a home-made slab as you can get, very good protection. (thumbsu

For me, the less plastic the sharper looking the comic.  I use mylites with backing boards.  Back when I had high value raw books, I'd place the mylite inside a mylar.

Edited by namisgr

11 hours ago, Marwood & I said:
16 hours ago, jcjames said:

I think so, I'll try and find them tonight and explain further. Off out now. 

Back again @jcjames !

Here are some pictures to bring it to life. I used 'regular' backing boards - 3 of them together made the finished product look and feel slab like and offered great protection. The two Mylite2's rationale was to ensure the comic only touched inert mylar. I stored many comics against a backing board within a Mylite2 once and a few years later found the boards had some yellowing, even on moderns. So I decided for my good stuff (i.e. my ASM run 1-700 plus all variants etc - around 2,000 comics) to go the extra mile. The additional Mylite2 inner meant I could add customised stickers when I wanted to show a particular variant type. Examples below. The sticker was on the inner Mylite2 so never touched the book, and never collected dust as it was then encased in the second Mylite2.

I would place each book in a full Mylite2 then carefully trim the Mylite so it covered the book with a 2mm overhang. That then went against the 3 boards and into the second Mylite2.

When I sold up, the number of buyers who contacted me to ask how I did it, and where I got the sleeves from etc was gratifying. A couple of my regulars adopted it as their favoured storage process.

See what you think - pictures don't really bring them to life but hopefully you can see enough to get the idea.

Cheers

138mjii.thumb.jpg.2e8e5531fa0ebe56ae8311e89ddfbdfe.jpg

177pizz.thumb.jpg.afab9eae4e9225464c90544cb3812712.jpg

177pizzcgc.thumb.jpg.ace8986e1a3c4c78f1b3883ecb371015.jpg

184mjii.thumb.jpg.a5fdbaf821ab38d9fc1849658f87d46e.jpg

185mji.thumb.jpg.058d609e1171f2c479e4b3412d32a419.jpg

595a8b989a819_361detriplecoverbag.thumb.jpg.30fdec6e7cc403379f92fa8467559f79.jpg

599nes.jpg.220ccc4f62daf5a250e56eebf1c65164.jpg

595a8b9e556cd_CanadianSet1.thumb.jpg.e3654090fab1cccbc4a4f2c85100e5d3.jpg

I love the clarity of the new slabs, but nothing beats the look of a comic/backing board in a Mylite2.