• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it truely Normal??

10 posts in this topic

I bought a 9.8 CGC. But I noticed something not cool. 

Firstly, there is a black mark on captain america(Steve Rogers)'s shield section on my 9.8 CGC!

Secondly, there is a weird 'yellow spot' on 'C'section on my 9.8 CGC!

Is it really possible to get 9.8 grade with these problems?

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Those are manufacturing errors and don't count against the grade.

Correct but I always said I disliked the fact that CGC ignores these types of flaws, bindery or not. No matter what the reason, the flaw is there and it is annoying. People expect a 9.8 to look 'flawless'. I remember, while discussing slabs, somebody in my LCS mentioned he bought a 9.8 slab on E-Bay, it looked terrible, and he said he would never buy a slabbed book again. You are paying a huge premium to get you favorite book in a CGC 9.8 and it looks terrible. Not good. Sorry, just taking an opportunity to rant.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Correct but I always said I disliked the fact that CGC ignores these types of flaws, bindery or not. No matter what the reason, the flaw is there and it is annoying. People expect a 9.8 to look 'flawless'. I remember, while discussing slabs, somebody in my LCS mentioned he bought a 9.8 slab on E-Bay, it looked terrible, and he said he would never buy a slabbed book again. You are paying a huge premium to get you favorite book in a CGC 9.8 and it looks terrible. Not good. Sorry, just taking an opportunity to rant.

I completely agree BB...  I won a 9.8 of a sufficiently pricey auction to find out the cover was a 16th of an inch below the pages.  Needless to say I wasn't happy and would have never thought this would come back as a 9.8.

Wow - we really are an anal bunch.  Minute printing defects should downgrade the book to 9.4 at least!!

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I completely agree BB...  I won a 9.8 of a sufficiently pricey auction to find out the cover was a 16th of an inch below the pages.  Needless to say I wasn't happy and would have never thought this would come back as a 9.8.

Could this be a case where the book shifted inside the inner well ? Sometimes the cover will 'stick', maybe static electricity, while the pages shift around. It's happened to me a couple times over the years.

46 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - we really are an anal bunch.  Minute printing defects should downgrade the book to 9.4 at least!!

HAHA, we are anal. I remember, before CGC, these minute flaws did not bother me as much. Now it's a different story. The book has to be perfect, the alignment in the slab has to be perfect, the slab has to be perfect, it's crazy ! 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

HAHA, we are anal. I remember, before CGC, these minute flaws did not bother me as much. Now it's a different story. The book has to be perfect, the alignment in the slab has to be perfect, the slab has to be perfect, it's crazy ! 

But, but, but - it's Buy the Label not the Book, no?(:

Given the comic's not graded 10.0, it must have some extremely minor defects.  Besides ones from production, that is.

And the word is 'truly', and 'normal' shouldn't be capitalized, as it's not a proper noun.  

- Stern Stan

Edited by namisgr