• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2017 Edition)
1 1

307 posts in this topic

Cool idea!! I see Cap 3 creeping up into tier 6 land sooner than later. It's definitely about on par with Adventure 40 as far as price is concerned lately. It also has everything going for it as far Cover, 1st Stan etc. i could go on and on but us GAers know the book is hot and for good reason

Love me some Wayne-Tec threads!  Here's my take :

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27

Tier-2:

Superman #1, Captain America Comics #1, Batman #1 

Tier-3:

Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, Marvel Comics #1 , All-American Comics #16, Flash Comics #1

Tier-4:

Action Comics #10, Detective Comics #29, All-Star Comics #8, Whiz Comics #2

Tier-5:

More Fun Comics #73, Detective Comics #38,  Detective Comics #1,  Action Comics #2, Action Comics #13, Detective Comics #33, More Fun Comics #52, Sensation Comics #1

Tier-6:

Detective Comics #28, Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #35, All-Star Comics #3, Wonder Woman #1

When I ranked attainable (low to mid) copies of the books against each other I came up with this list:

Ranked within the tiers as well for me.

One way I decided was if I put 2 books on a table, which one would all the boardies, dealers, and auction houses try to grab first?

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #27

Superman #1

Tier-2

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #29

Marvel Comics #1

Action Comics #10

Tier-3

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #35

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Action Comics #13

Flash Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

All-Star Comics #8

More Fun Comics #73

More Fun Comics #52

Detective Comics #38

Tier-4

Wonder Woman #1

Sensation Comics #1

Detective #36

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

Marvel Mystery Comics #9

Adventure Comics #40

Captain America #3

Detective #37

Green Lantern #1

All-Star Comics #3

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Love me some Wayne-Tec threads!  Here's my take :

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27

Tier-2:

Superman #1, Captain America Comics #1, Batman #1 

Tier-3:

Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, Marvel Comics #1 , All-American Comics #16, Flash Comics #1

Tier-4:

Action Comics #10, Detective Comics #29, All-Star Comics #8, Whiz Comics #2

Tier-5:

More Fun Comics #73, Detective Comics #38,  Detective Comics #1,  Action Comics #2, Action Comics #13, Detective Comics #33, More Fun Comics #52, Sensation Comics #1

Tier-6:

Detective Comics #28, Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #35, All-Star Comics #3, Wonder Woman #1

Solid list Corey.

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America Comics #1(Fourth of July when I write this Happy Birthday America!)

Tier-2:

Superman #1, Marvel Comics #1, Batman #1,

Tier-3:

Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, All-Star Comics #8, Whiz Comics #2 (#1), All-Star Comics #3, More Fun Comics #73,

Tier-4:

Sensation Comics #1, More Fun Comics #52, Action Comics #10, Detective Comics #29,

Tier-5:

Wonder Woman #1

Detective Comics #1, Action Comics #2, Action Comics #13, Detective Comics #33,

Tier-6:

Detective Comics #28, Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #35, Detective Comics #38 

My only thought is that Superman 1 is a Tier 1 book.  It is very rare (may be only one copy above 8.0 - and that is without factoring in the multiple printings issue), super-important historically (first solo superhero book), and the top copy would likely sell for well north of any book other than copies of D27 or Action 1 (a 5.5 sold for $500k). 

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

My only thought is that Superman 1 is a Tier 1 book.  It is very rare (may be only one copy above 8.0 - and that is without factoring in the multiple printings issue), super-important historically (first solo superhero book), and the top copy would likely sell for well north of any book other than copies of D27 or Action 1 (a 5.5 sold for $500k). 

It's a good argument. I'd say Superman #1 floats between the books I listed in Tier-1 and Tier-2, but is still closer to Tier-2. FMV might put it closer to Tier-1, but the historical significance of Marvel #1, Batman #1 and Cap #1 cannot be denied. Content-wise, Superman #1 would rank towards the bottom of Tier-2, so it's FMV isn't enough for me to put it in Tier-1.

On 7/4/2017 at 1:28 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Cool idea!! I see Cap 3 creeping up into tier 6 land sooner than later. It's definitely about on par with Adventure 40 as far as price is concerned lately. It also has everything going for it as far Cover, 1st Stan etc. i could go on and on but us GAers know the book is hot and for good reason

It's rising up the ranks for sure. After Cap #1 and Marvel #1, there is a significant drop off as far as Timely's are concerned. Something to consider is the mentality of the GA collector who loves Marvel but is uninterested in DC. We saw tremendous growth in Pre-Robin Tecs after Tec #27 and Batman #1 pulled out of range. Cap #1 and Marvel #1 have now pulled out of range for most collectors. For Marvel Zombie's, what's next? Cap #2-3 and Marvel Mystery #2, #4 and #9 come to mind.

22 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Tier-1:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America Comics #1(Fourth of July when I write this Happy Birthday America!)

Tier-2:

Superman #1, Marvel Comics #1, Batman #1,

Tier-3:

Action Comics #7, Detective Comics #31, All-Star Comics #8, Whiz Comics #2 (#1), All-Star Comics #3, More Fun Comics #73,

Tier-4:

Sensation Comics #1, More Fun Comics #52, Action Comics #10, Detective Comics #29,

Tier-5:

Wonder Woman #1

Detective Comics #1, Action Comics #2, Action Comics #13, Detective Comics #33,

Tier-6:

Detective Comics #28, Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #35, Detective Comics #38 

Due to scarcity and the popularity of Cap vs. Superman and Batman, it's tough for me to see Cap #1 moving into Tier-1. But as I stated previously, one has to consider the mentality of the "Marvel Zombie" GA collector. Some just don't care for D.C. And vice versa. Cap #1/Marvel #1 then becomes the "Action #1" of the Timely collector. In that respect, there sits massive potential.

16 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Due to scarcity and the popularity of Cap vs. Superman and Batman, it's tough for me to see Cap #1 moving into Tier-1. But as I stated previously, one has to consider the mentality of the "Marvel Zombie" GA collector. Some just don't care for D.C. And vice versa. Cap #1/Marvel #1 then becomes the "Action #1" of the Timely collector. In that respect, there sits massive potential.

I'd take Marvel or Cap 1 over the others anyday.

46 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I'd take Marvel or Cap 1 over the others anyday.

And you're not alone.

I would take an Action #1 over anything. But every time I watch a new MCU film (Spider-Man: Homecoming anyone?), I'm not thinking about Action #1. I trace my thoughts back to the early days of the Marvel Universe. From a GA perspective, that's Marvel #1 and Cap #1.