• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2017 Edition)
1 1

307 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

$21,000 according to ospg!

Rick,  What's the thought process and the AA 16 ranking ?

13 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Bob didn't pay attention to the entire market. 

+1

Nevertheless, this book is only going to slowly drift down the Top 100 Chart over time. 

30 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

No secret I'm a fan of Tec 38.  Ranking at 23 in the 2017 OSPG   To  low ? To high ?? Just right ??

So, same spot as last year in terms of its #23 ranking.

I guess it must still be trailing 'Tec 35 which I feel should probably be the other way around, although I am quite sure that many of the classic cover collectors here will strongly disagree with.  (shrug)

Here's the top 10 from OPG No. 10, one of the weirder configurations:

1. MC 1

2. Action 1

3. MPFW 1

4. Whiz No. 2 (1)

5. D 27

6. Superman 1

7. Wow nn (1)

8. Captain Marvel 1

9. WDC&S 1

10. CA 1

Times have changed.

For me, the most interesting listing is Wow Comics nn (1) (Fawcett).  OPG valued it highly because it was printed on "unstable paper stock" and was "rarely found in mint condition."  A case of rarity resulting in an inflated price.  There are only 17 copies on the census, with the Mile High 9.4 being the highest rated Universal and the next highest being a 6.0.  The Mile High copy sold in 2002 for $39K.  

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Here's the top 10 from OPG No. 10, one of the weirder configurations:

1. MC 1

2. Action 1

3. MPFW 1

4. Whiz No. 2 (1)

5. D 27

6. Superman 1

7. Wow nn (1)

8. Captain Marvel 1

9. WDC&S 1

10. CA 1

Times have changed.

For me, the most interesting listing is Wow Comics nn (1) (Fawcett).  OPG valued it highly because it was printed on "unstable paper stock" and was "rarely found in mint condition."  A case of rarity resulting in an inflated price.  There are only 17 copies on the census, with the Mile High 9.4 being the highest rated Universal and the next highest being a 6.0.  The Mile High copy sold in 2002 for $39K.  

That is one bizarre top 10 GA list from my vantage point. 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:
6 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

No secret I'm a fan of Tec 38.  Ranking at 23 in the 2017 OSPG   To  low ? To high ?? Just right ??

So, same spot as last year in terms of its #23 ranking.

I guess it must still be trailing 'Tec 35 which I feel should probably be the other way around, although I am quite sure that many of the classic cover collectors here will strongly disagree with.  (shrug)

Tec 38 should be higher placed than 35 imo.

7 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

That is one bizarre top 10 GA list from my vantage point. 

That list actually made a fair amount of sense back then.  The big controversy was MC 1 in the top spot.   Back then, what was driving prices was content (first appearance, origins, first issue, etc.) not covers, Marvel Comics was ascendant, rarity mattered a lot more than it does today because collectors had a completist mentality that is greatly diminished now, Batman was at a nadir, and Captain Marvel had made a relatively recent comeback and his history as a (maybe "the") dominant GA superhero was widely appreciated.  (Picking a year at random, 1947, reveals that there were 9 Capt. Marvel related books published by Fawcett -- Whiz, Capt. Marvel, Marvel Family, Capt. Marvel Jr., Master, Mary Marvel, Wow, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, and Funny Animals -- and CM supposedly had the biggest readership of any GA superhero.)

Edited by sfcityduck