• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your personal story about buying or selling comics that PROVES you're insane?
4 4

153 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kav said:

Insane?  You want insane?  Ok couple years ago I bought youngblood #1 at book store just in case it ever becomes valuable lol 

You don't say! I bought this a couple of months ago because I was bored one Sunday afternoon. :screwy:

IMG_2873.thumb.JPG.8bf8bbc6216b4b5fd02b45840a1df3f2.JPG

57 minutes ago, unclezebo said:

I bought it for a birthday present for my cousin cause he has a foot fetish. Boy did I feel dumb. :sorry:

"Unfulfilled" comes to mind here.

Not really insane but picked up a 3 long box lot back around 94 from bulletin board posting  O.o that friend saw at his office. $600 located a town away. Guy was moving in with his GF and the books had to go. Tried to talk him down some but he was firm on the price. Lots of early 90's dreck but at least 1/3 has good value. Some highlights were a Hulk 181 (recently graded at a 3.5), X-men 94 about a 5.5, ASM #300 NM easy. Fair amount of $30-60 books too. Great deal for probably a $1 a book.

I had a friend who had bought out the stock of a dealer who was getting out of the business; if I recall correctly it was a video store that had a comic section for a few years.  So he had about 30-40 long boxes of totally random 90's stuff, completely unsorted.  I spent two weekends helping him sort out the entire mess; my pay was one copy of every single book that he had two or more copies of from the store.  I think I got two long boxes out of it; I really should dig those out of storage and see what I've got one of these years.  I remember there were an insane number of Maximum Carnage crossovers and I got a full set of that, at the very least...

On 7/5/2017 at 6:26 AM, fmaz said:

So... was it really worth risking my life?  I mean, if it HAD the tattooz, MAYBE.  But without it? 

Genuine lol. :applause:

On 7/5/2017 at 2:27 PM, Moondog said:

Until last month this was the strangest buy I ever made...

:popcorn: Don’t keep us in suspense!!! If it tops that rendezvous with Tiger King, then I can’t wait. 

My insanity mostly lies in the craft beer world, where I would (on many occasions, but typically Black Friday) show up at a beer store at 1 a.m. for a 9 a.m. opening to be first in line for bottle allocations of rare bourbon-barrel-aged stouts. But as crazy as that is, it was a lot of fun too - usually everyone who showed up that early would bring rare beers to share, someone would bring breakfast sandwiches or do a breakfast run, and there'd be tons of stories as we all sat freezing in our camp chairs for 8 hours in the cold November weather.

For comics, I don't have many stories. I guess as a kid I'd beg my dad to take me to the nearest LCS which was an hour and a half away at the time, all so I could pick up about $10 worth of comics. But like the good dad he is, he indulged that quite a few times actually.

I did go to a local outdoor flea market a few weeks ago, and while they didn't end up having any comics, there was a huge crowd of people standing around two guys who were selling live chickens out of cages, presumably to take home and cook for dinner - they looked like roosters, not egg-laying hens. It was crazy, someone would point out the chicken they wanted, the sales guy would grab it and stuff it in a huge orange "onion sack," and the person would walk off lugging this live chicken. The same flea market also had the saddest looking camel I've ever seen that little kids could ride on for a fee. I know it sounds like a weird dream, but it's 100% real. They did have a few booths selling video games, but most stuff was either bootleg or way overpriced.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

2 minutes ago, Slab Bulkhead said:

I've had a Pull List for almost 30 years and I've never bagged any of them and they're all stored chronologically in the order they were read. Some might consider that crazy :insane:

I dig this, and I dig the Crow avatar. You're hired.

Yeah some estate sales guys show up the afternoon the day before.. so almost 24 hrs before start tome .. or hire place holder professional creeps.. lol .. My insanity is driving hundreds of miles one direction not getting any sleep the night before because I get there at 12 am for a 10am sale.. only to know others are ahead of me..

I drove to the desert for wayyyyyy horribly over priced yard sale.. I drive back and forth trying to find the address.. Anyhow I didn't get any sleep the night before.. I took a nap while I was on a long freeway drive ... When I woke up my car had totaled.. I had even crossed lanes...it was miraculous I didn't even come away with a single scratch.. But my car's hood and motor was completely crunched!

Others include blew out tires on the freeway that result in smoke and sparks.(while on the way to a very successful estate sale)

I've also had "incidents" and "altercations"... but those happen when you do this hundreds if not thousands of times... I do it for the 20% of sales that are great.. you just never know ...

Edited by littledoom