• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your personal story about buying or selling comics that PROVES you're insane?
4 4

153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VegasJeff said:

And you lived?!?! Suprised you didn't get impaled by one of those pieces of metal. And how much does a long box weigh anyways? Surprised you didn't get crushed either. Well, it might explain a few things now. :insane:

Evil clowns are immortal?  :devil:

On 7/13/2017 at 6:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Here's my scariest story. About 15 years ago I bought some books from a guy on ebay. Turns out he was a local guy so I contacted him. Turns out he found about 200 Atomic Age books stored in an un-plugged refrigerator in a garage. He didn't know much about them and didn't want to list them all on ebay. I got his number and we agreed to meet at his place.

We agreed at 8:00 pm on a Tuesday night since we both worked. He gave me the address and it sounded a little sketchy. I went anyway (alone). Turned out it was about 2 blocks away from where the Rodney King riot was in LA. As a rule, a place that a middle aged white guy should just stay away from. But the lure of sweet GA books pulled me there.

I pulled up to the address. The neighbor hood had lots of graphitti on the walls, funky lowrider cars on the lawns, houses with bars on the windows ect. All signs that would tell a sane person to get out of the area. But all I could imagine was that smell of vintage comics.

I got out of the car and spied a group of lets just say... "minority" kids staring at my car. Now I grew up in an area with a lot of mostly latin and black kids of low income families. It was fine to me and we were all friends. The '60's were a great time but this was 25 years later and this area was recently burned and looted. 

I left my money in the trunk, crossed the street and rang the door bell. It was answered by a large latin guy in a wife beater shirt and baggy shorts a little buzzed with a beer in his hand. We shook hands and he took me around back to the garage where there were several other similar gentlemen working on a beautiful 1964 Impala lowrider. I smiled and complemented them on their beautiful car. He talked horsepower and I realized they were probably OK. The guy asked me if I wanted a beer and I said sure not wanting to offend him. We went to back of the garage and he opened the refrigerator. Inside, packed top to bottom were piles of comics from about 1946-1957 (my favorite stuff). There were pre=code horror, superhero, crime, jungle, sci fi. Titles like Phantom Lady, Batman, Tales from the Crypt, Jungle ect. all in pretty nice condition. The best was a beautiful Capt. America #74 in beautiful shape. I was rather floored. He said they were there when he moved in and wasn't a collector. 

We worked out a very nice price and they packed them in boxes and helped me out to the car with them. We loaded them up, I paid him and I thanked him and drove off into the night with my heart pounding...

"The lure of sweet GA books..."  It is intoxicating isn't it, Bob?  There's really nothing like it.

37 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Anecdotes came come later, but I have almost 40 copies of Adventure Time #1A. Utterly irrational, but I'm cool with that.

Sounds like some kind of sick perversion...,

Great stories and it's interesting to visualize myself in these situations to determine my retreat point. Then I'm also thinking that great risk sometimes comes with great rewards. 

I do know of a horror story to a fellow board member. I don't want to ruin his story just in case he wants to share it, but he was set up and robbed at gunpoint in a parking lot. It was a CraigsList deal involving multiple people. 

On 7/16/2017 at 9:20 PM, Moondog said:

"The lure of sweet GA books..."  It is intoxicating isn't it, Bob?  There's really nothing like it.

As you know all to well, it sure is Gary. I have to say, once I got in I wasn't too scared. Car guys are like comic guys. Show a little interest and knowledge and you're in. It was the area that was a little sketch.

I have a friend that lives in the area and he goes to garage sales all the time up there. He finds tons of good stuff because most people are afraid to go into the area.

This one isn't a story about risking life and limb over comics, just a stupid odd little anecdote.

I have always really liked the Marvel price dots that is my avatar, even when I was very young. Back in the day I had a pretty sweet collection, including a near-complete run of FF, #2-200 or so. I did have a #1, but it was just a GRR with no price dot. This always bugged me enormously, so one day I decided I would add one myself. I was about ten, and I was a decent artist (eventually sold my collection to go to art school and have made a decent living as an animator) so I was sure that I could do a convincing job by hand with a magic marker. 

So, if any of you has the FF #1 with the magic marker price dot, know that is part of the so-rare-its-unrecognized MacKenzie999 Pedigree collection.

I can't see much insanity here, but we're an impressively-dedicated lot, for certain.

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Most of my non-graded copies

D22B9D69-2C61-4231-851E-B584A2948736.JPG

Nice. I like the way you say "most of my non-graded copies" which implies you have more non-graded copies and, presumably, graded copies too. So lots of copies. And not a fan of Direct Editions I see?

hm

You've got a hundred of them too, haven't you (thumbsu

Great stories everyone!  Here's mine but nothing as fancy as everyone else's though. I responded to a craigslist ad on what looked like mainly modern comics but the was taken from the stack inside the box.  They were located in the Bronx but in a nicer section.  I got there and a woman invites me in to the apartment.  The floor plan was completely open with the living room right when you walk in flowing into the kitchen to a long hallway leading to a closed door.

I can literally see the entire layout from the entrance way and it looked neat and tidy.  She appeared to be alone so I step in and start looking through the box.  About a minute or so of looking at the books, I hear what sounds like a chainsaw coming from the closed door.  Now about two weeks prior, I found Birds of Prey 8 at the bottom of a modern stack from a craigslist ad.  So I was kind of determined to find that gem at the bottom of the pile.  The noise continued and I was getting unnerved.  

A few minutes later nowhere near the end of the stack, I got up to leave.  I just could not figure out what was happening behind that ominous door and I didn't truly want to find out either.  As I start to thank the woman for her time, the ominous door opened.  A guy in a white tank top came out.  I subconsciously examined him for blood splatters or any explanation as to what he was doing behind the door.  There were none.  He introduced himself and asked if I liked any of the comics.  I have no idea what I told him but I did high tail it out of there.  

I don't know what was going on behind that door.  I was honestly afraid to ask.  An explanation wasn't volunteered from them either.  He didn't have any signs of sawdust on him nor did the apartment look like they were doing carpentry work.  It was strange and creepy.  So, yep, that was the last time I ever went into anyone's house for comics again.