• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your personal story about buying or selling comics that PROVES you're insane?
4 4

153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

In the late 80's I was buying up every high grade silver age Marvel and DC I could find, as I felt the pricing at that time was just insane.  I got many, many 9.0-9.4 copies of books like Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Strange Tales, Adventure (Legion), Detective, etc. for $2 a piece.  I definitely remember picking up both a Captain America 100 and Amazing Spider-Man 50 for around $10 each.

The winter of 1989 when I was laid off from my seasonal fire job, I told my wife that I would be crazy not to take $500 out of savings and purchase every NM SA comic I could from my regular comic dealer.  She agreed and the purchases were made.

Ahhh, the benefits of a bear market. 

I don't have a cool or dangerous story.  Through in my youth I played more trading card games at a local LCS is a fairly sketchy part of town.  They sold video games and trading cards, and comics, but the comics were pretty sparse.  They never ordered more than 4 of any comic except ASM or Batman, and while it definitely was an active store, it didn't seem like the shelves were very full or there was very much business.  But it was clean and they had tables and regular street fighter video game tourneys. 

Needless to say, they were closed down for selling drugs.  Had I paid more attention, I might have figured it out.

Also, I'm obviously insane because I'm trying to complete a Darkhawk CGC 9.8 collection.

In terms of horror stories I don't think I can top the recent event where 200 long boxes almost crushed me when some rickety shelves in a shop collapsed while I was looking at books.  The fact that I'm counting down the days until I think he will be up and running again so I can go pick out some more books does qualify me for being insane.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

In terms of horror stories I don't think I can top the recent event where 200 long boxes almost crushed me when some rickety shelves in a shop collapsed while I was looking at books.  The fact that I'm counting down the days until I think he will be up and running again so I can go pick out some more books does qualify me for being insane.

I'm surprised he'd let you back in the shop after all the damage you did! 

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm often crushed when I read modern comics, but to be literally crushed by comics would be quite a thing ?

I realized I was crazy about comics when...

my wife caught me with a magnifying glass while wearing latex gloves and holding my...

comic.

Edited by newshane

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Indeed. That was some box diving there. 

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I didn't cause any damage!  His shelves collapsed and almost crushed me - which I think deserves a 20% discount on top of his low prices!

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I didn't cause any damage!  His shelves collapsed and almost crushed me - which I think deserves a 20% discount on top of his low prices!

Well - that's your story....., :whistle:

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sadly not for awhile.

Comic Crash.jpg

Frightening. :whatthe:

Almost a scene from a Final Destination film.

Comic book geek crushed to a pulp by tons of wood pulp.

Oh, they'd think that was clever. The trees got their revenge.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I did a deal on a street corner in West Philadelphia.  For comic books.

Is your avatar the guy from Monty Python ??? looks familiar

18 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I did a deal on a street corner in West Philadelphia.  For comic books.

Is that where you were born and raised? Was it near a playground where you spent most of your days?

56 minutes ago, fmaz said:

That picture looks like one that could be used from a craigslist ad entitled : "NEAR MINT COMIC COLLECTION FOR SALE"

I once saw a storage unit that looked like that.  Guy wanted $10,000 on a blind buy.

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I once saw a storage unit that looked like that.  Guy wanted $10,000 on a blind buy.

I'd imagine you'd have had to have been blind to have gone along with that.  Wow