• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Errors - NG isnt really a grade..

29 posts in this topic

I recently went to a comic show where CGC was and asked about a Batman 497 that i had received with no 'main cover' ...it does have the outer full back/half front over cover, but obviously the 1st page of the comic shows .. this was a production error as they ran out of the main cover but the books kept running and it did get the 'over cover' and got shipped.    I have seen at least 3 of these total.. so i know others have them.. there was one on Ebay that had been sent to CGC and got a NG (No grade) which i get.. but it bothers me.. as I wanted to have mine done as well.. but dont want an NG tag so I guess I wont send it.. unless a new catagory gets added, and I am not betting on that.   

I had a comic shop for 22 years and so i have lots of mfg error comics.. Double / triple cover books, upside down, pages out of order, wrong title cover, etc.. Should there be a special tag for Errors? we have blue,green,yellow, and what purple.. not sure what to go to for Error maybe Black with Red writing? :)  But seriously if a double cover gets graded.. with a grade and a note.. couldnt a 'factory mistake without the main cover under this condition that the over cover did exist and was factory installed' get some kind of qualified grade based on the rest of the book?  

Any thoughts?   I can send a picture.. or you can scan ebay for the 2 copies i have seen out there to see what im talking about.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:30 AM, Fiddy said:

If there is money to be had then most likely the scammers will be out scooping up all the books they can find so that they can remove the inner cover.  

Yeah and I get that.. that was the 1 issue i understood .. kind of why i wanted to get it slabbed and 3rd party authenticated.. but i can see where that would be hard.. though when i spoke with CGC they stated that they would grade Double covers.. which seems odd to me as if "I could remove the inner cover" then "I could also add a 2nd cover" to get the notation for that as well i would think..

Guess i'll either just keep it as is.. (SIGH) :)

7 hours ago, comxdlr said:

Yeah and I get that.. that was the 1 issue i understood .. kind of why i wanted to get it slabbed and 3rd party authenticated.. but i can see where that would be hard.. though when i spoke with CGC they stated that they would grade Double covers.. which seems odd to me as if "I could remove the inner cover" then "I could also add a 2nd cover" to get the notation for that as well i would think..

Guess i'll either just keep it as is.. (SIGH) :)

I'm sure they've graded double covers that weren't originally double cover books.

14 hours ago, Fiddy said:

I'm sure they've graded double covers that weren't originally double cover books.

I would not be surprised of that.. and I guess thats why I dont get why this would just come up as a total NG.. it was "as the factory sent it out" therefore "in its original state" even though the main cover was truly missing it was "as mint as it came to the shop" as it could be :)   the double covers that were faked seems to me would potentially have staple 'bend' issues.. and maybe a problem with the covers not lining up etc.. but I guess still possible to get away with sometimes.

3 minutes ago, comxdlr said:

I would not be surprised of that.. and I guess thats why I dont get why this would just come up as a total NG.. it was "as the factory sent it out" therefore "in its original state" even though the main cover was truly missing it was "as mint as it came to the shop" as it could be :)   the double covers that were faked seems to me would potentially have staple 'bend' issues.. and maybe a problem with the covers not lining up etc.. but I guess still possible to get away with sometimes.

I think the chances are pretty good CGC would catch a fake second cover.  Besides the difficulty with the staple area, the odds of getting another cover with the same level of aging and alignment would be tough. 

3 minutes ago, comxdlr said:

interesting.. yeah missing the black ink it appears.. that would be a tougher error to fake :)

My point of showing this example was for the label. CGC noted PRINTING ERROR and still graded the book. The OP was suggesting another category besides NG for errors. Here it is.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

My point of showing this example was for the label. CGC noted PRINTING ERROR and still graded the book. The OP was suggesting another category besides NG for errors. Here it is.

And I guess that is my thoughts.. I get its not really a "universal" blue label item.. but its something that I would hope could be GRADED somehow.   I would not be totally against even getting a "dreaded" green label (which to me shouldnt be so bad.. if you just pay attention to WHY it is given a green label..)  I was kind of surprised that the above book got the blue label.. since its "MISSING" something but since it didnt affect the story I was more or less 50/50 on that piece..  

Im putting a picture of the book ive been talking about below... and i want to get graded (not NG'd but graded/Slabbed.. actually wanted to do it as a Signature Series book but when I was told it would be NG'd i decided against it.. ) 

I would have no problem with a "green and gold" slab on this one.. but dont want the NG :) in the corner.. A new category would be fine.. give me a zebra striped label if needed...or Orange or Pink and purple polka dots so you can tell its not a "standard" label if that helps..

I have a Walking dead that has the pages out of order.. which by definition "Affects the story" but there are number graded versions of those on blue labels.. which to me could go Blue or Green as you couldnt have read the comic as normal.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

2 hours ago, comxdlr said:

And I guess that is my thoughts.. I get its not really a "universal" blue label item.. but its something that I would hope could be GRADED somehow.   I would not be totally against even getting a "dreaded" green label (which to me shouldnt be so bad.. if you just pay attention to WHY it is given a green label..)  I was kind of surprised that the above book got the blue label.. since its "MISSING" something but since it didnt affect the story I was more or less 50/50 on that piece..  

Im putting a picture of the book ive been talking about below... and i want to get graded (not NG'd but graded/Slabbed.. actually wanted to do it as a Signature Series book but when I was told it would be NG'd i decided against it.. ) 

I would have no problem with a "green and gold" slab on this one.. but dont want the NG :) in the corner.. A new category would be fine.. give me a zebra striped label if needed...or Orange or Pink and purple polka dots so you can tell its not a "standard" label if that helps..

I have a Walking dead that has the pages out of order.. which by definition "Affects the story" but there are number graded versions of those on blue labels.. which to me could go Blue or Green as you couldnt have read the comic as normal.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

Hey, that's pretty cool. I like it. I would think CGC could give you some advisement on this before you actually sent it in. You are not asking about the grade per se, just asking if it will be graded. Contact them.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hey, that's pretty cool. I like it. I would think CGC could give you some advisement on this before you actually sent it in. You are not asking about the grade per se, just asking if it will be graded. Contact them.

No.. I talked to them live at the Heroes Con here in Charlotte, and they even called it in to verify.. theres already one like it up on Ebay that is NG'd and they said.. since its missing the cover (well ONE of the covers.. not really the "Outside cover" on this book but.. normally it would be.. and so it wont get graded.. it gets a NG for not having the original cover..   i'll hold it til they either let me do it as a Sig Series/green or some other.. where i can get some sort of qualified grade.. or i'll check the other 'slabbers' though I really am less excited about that then the NG at the moment.

30 minutes ago, comxdlr said:

No.. I talked to them live at the Heroes Con here in Charlotte, and they even called it in to verify.. theres already one like it up on Ebay that is NG'd and they said.. since its missing the cover (well ONE of the covers.. not really the "Outside cover" on this book but.. normally it would be.. and so it wont get graded.. it gets a NG for not having the original cover..   i'll hold it til they either let me do it as a Sig Series/green or some other.. where i can get some sort of qualified grade.. or i'll check the other 'slabbers' though I really am less excited about that then the NG at the moment.

So, if it's missing the cover, no matter what, it gets a NG. I guess I can understand the CGC Point of View on this. After all, without the cover, what is left to grade ? 

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the chances are pretty good CGC would catch a fake second cover.  Besides the difficulty with the staple area, the odds of getting another cover with the same level of aging and alignment would be tough. 

Wasn't there a seller on eBay selling boatloads of double/triple/quadruple modern comics? I don't recall if they were graded or not; I'll try and find it...

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So, if it's missing the cover, no matter what, it gets a NG. I guess I can understand the CGC Point of View on this. After all, without the cover, what is left to grade ? 

Well the edge that 'gets dented', the staple area, the whole book (story pages) the black 1/2 front does wrap around the entire back.. thus it has a back cover (sorta) but like i said.. i kinda get where they are coming from.. the current category's do not work for this book.. the closest would be the Qualified Green one.. i mean if you can print out a cover and put it on a book and get it graded.. seems like we could work something out here :)    help a brotha out!?