• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Leaves SDCC
3 3

211 posts in this topic

Sad to see Mile High Comics leave, but to be honest, I never bought anything from him.  I didn't even stop by his booth, but that doesn't mean he didn't make money.  I just don't know how he did it.  

If you hate crowds, don't go to SDCC ... or to the market or to a department store or...  Maybe it's best to stay home and play on the computer. :jokealert:

SDCC is two weeks away and I am looking forward to it.  Yes, there's a lot of people and yes you have a plan a little. But I always have fun.  Maybe I will post of few pictures of the festivities when I get back.

Coming from somebody that is local to the SDCC, it really is not a fun experience anymore.  My oldest daughter doesn't even want to go this year, she chose the anime con up in Anaheim instead.  If you are going for strictly comics you only need one day to attend, and not even a full day at that.  

4 hours ago, kpaqu1 said:

Maybe the problem was buying 70 feet space. Why not get a smaller space to display your high-end product and keep a presence?

That makes sense but I guess for Chuck it's go big or stay home. 

I am a little disappointed at the low dealer turnout being mentioned. I realize it's no longer comic focused and hasn't been for a long time but figured I'd see more dealers than your typical large annual con. I was looking forward to seeing dealers and stock that don't make it out to the east coast midAtlantic region cons as well. Curious as to how many other dealers are considering pulling the plug on SDCC. Guess I'll have to find something to do for the other 3 days I'll be there.

There is less of a major dealer presence each year (and the small guys are all but stamped out) but there are still a lot of comics in San Diego.

But the rest of the room outside of the Gold and Silver pavilions is not very comic related.

The real problem that I think most dealers have with San Diego is twofold.

1. Prices are high. When you incorporate flights, expensive hotels and expensive booths (not to mention just the cost and effort of getting your product into the show) it can be very off-putting. You're talking a ballpark minimum of $5000 in expenses for a one booth space with two people in a booth and a hotel room for 5 days.  Double your booth space and you are looking for $7500-10,000 (more employees, etc) You need to bring lots of product to make that trip profitable. Now many dealers still have a terrific San Diego every year but they are generally the dealers who have lots of high end inventory and work hard at maintaining a solid presence.
  2. One of the bigger problems IMO is that the show has become so busy and tickets sell out so quickly that most customers that used to want to make the show can't get in. Thinking about sharing tickets? If you get caught, SD has in the past threatened to lock you out of the show. This is the bigger problem IMO. Comics always sell but if your customers are not getting into the door it's a wasted effort.

For these reasons I've heard many dealers have pulled back from doing the show or downsized their booth areas.

But if you can make the show, there are still lots of comics there and the show is an experience unlike any other I've been to. It's just a pricey one.

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

"The final straw, however, was the utter indifference of the San Diego Comic-Con management to the fiasco that we endured at the beginning of last year's show, when the freight handlers that they hired failed to deliver our comics to our booth.   So how could this awful thing happen? It beats the heck out of me. Our trucker was in line at the convention marshaling yard at 6:30 AM on Tuesday morning. At 9 PM that evening, with almost all the other vendors around us unpacked and completely set up, we still did not have our 40,000 lbs of freight. I had twelve workers scheduled to help us set up that day (included Will, Lynne, and Norrie who flew in from Denver that morning...), but all we could do was to sit around all day in our totally empty booth."

To be fair, if I flew in and flew in a bunch of staff and we waited all day for my inventory and got no explanation from con organizers I'd be pretty upset.  This would speak to organizers being focused on nothing but maximum profit and no appreciation of long term partners/vendors or relationships.

You are right and so is Chuck on this point.  It is incredibly frustrating, particularly when everyone around you is ready to go.  Unfortunately, it is routine at conventions and trade shows across the country and it could be any of a number of reasons.  Maybe the driver rubbed the show contractors or union the wrong way.  Maybe he had a 53 foot truck and because of poor planning, he can't get into the dock until other trucks clear out or the size of his truck will block others from getting in (the needs of the many....).  Maybe Chuck rubbed the contractors the wrong way with repeated complaints and/or questions and this was their revenge.  

Tradeshows and conventions are a racket and those in charge know it.  It's rare that even organizers can get a handle on the contractors that handle the freight, setup, and move out.  

Never been and probably will never go.  The hordes of people clammering for the exclusives and the huge crowds would drive me crazy - especially when you factor in the cost going.  I'd love to go to a Con out west but it definitely would never be SD. 

If Mile High cant justify setting up I really can't imagine how any dealer can at this point.

SDCC is completely out of touch.  I've never heard of 24 of their 56 special guests.  In all fairness, I'm not up to date on modern books, but still...  On top of that, some of their special guests are annual special guests, Sergio Aragonés, Mark Evanier, and Maggie Thomspon off the top of my head, and that's not to diminish their work, they all have a place in comics history and have made significant contributions but do those contributions make them worthy of special status at the world's biggest/best comic convention every year?  

I think for the average fan, SDCC is long gone and other big shows are beginning to follow suit.  Heroes and Baltimore come to mind as relatively pure comics shows, with limited media guests and strong comics-oriented guest lists that include the newest up and coming talents to the most seasoned veterans.  I think that conventions that maintain a narrow focus on comics will do well but that the pup culture shows that so many of us frequently lament will also do well.  

As fastballspecial wrote, we are victims of our own success.  We spent decades on the fringe, doing our own thing and hoping for wider recognition and acceptance.  Well, we got it.  Frankly, I was more comfortable on the fringe.  

Always thought I'd go one day as well.   Doesn't sound like something I'd want to attend any longer (and has been that way for a few years now).   Based onwhat I've read over the years if I were doing a "destination con" (ie, something I'm flying to), I'd go to Chicago. 

It's been nearly 20 years since I've been to SDCC. Had a pretty good time, but it's not feasible for me to make it every year, and seeing how things have progressed, I don't really mind. Everyone should do it at least once, though!

31 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Always thought I'd go one day as well.   Doesn't sound like something I'd want to attend any longer (and has been that way for a few years now).  

Ditto (thumbsu

While it's a bit sad to see a mainstay of the expo hall leave, I don't think it changes my SDCC experience one bit. I've literally never stepped foot into the Mile High Comics booth because it's the most overpriced booth of them all, it's ridiculous that as a comic collector I have no reason to step into the biggest comic booth. Yet I spend hundreds to thousands of dollars at all the other dealer booths. 

And yes, there are still a lot of comics at SDCC - more than any other con I've been to (every con on the West Coast, a handful around the country). As another poster mentioned, the comics just pale in comparison to the size and spectacle of the whole event. All the top dealers are there, insane Golden Age collections that only get brought to SDCC, all the auction houses, tons of original art. If you want it, it's at San Diego - you just have to deal with 130,000 people under one roof :o

With that said, it'll be a bit weird to not see the giant Mile High Comics sign along the wall this year. 

Edited by shortboxed

Never been there, and wouldn't ever want to. Seems like almost every con is either some horribly crowded, obnoxious mega-event or a lame rented conference room with 5 dealers selling trashed, unbagged books. Neither is worth the hassle as far as I'm concerned. But I guess I've said all this before. Whatever.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." --the Yogi Berra of myth and legend.

Edited by Silver Ager

I don't miss going to SDCC.  Competing for tickets and hotel rooms got old.  And you can't even get into the panels -- you have to get there way early or they are full -- not just the high profile ones like GOT and TWD, but even the comic panels.  I last went about 3 years ago and when I couldn't get into the comic panels there was absolutely nothing for me there. 

40 minutes ago, greggy said:

I am more worried about Lou Ferrigno, as he normally set up at the end of the Mile High booth.  What is he going to do now?

Maybe turn green and pound your @zz? :baiting: