• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet ComiCon Kansas City 2018: February 16-18, 2018

89 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Got some booth assignments for more boardies:

Duncanville Bookstore: 1811

Monster’s Lair Comics: 1811

Black Cat Comics: 1811 (yes, all 3 in the same area)

CoMo Comics: 2117

@SSkufan, where are you going to be?

Middle School Geek will be at booth #1510

My wife just finished up all the string art for the show
27655074_241930026347043_6010115131473764715_n.thumb.jpg.f75fdddadee14e26b9114ce6e5343751.jpg

19 minutes ago, Insanity said:

so Latour is gonna be there. Is he free for reg cgc signings?

I'll say up front that I don't know what his individual signing rates are, but I would suggest that you plan to pay at least something any time you get a book signed for CGC. Generally pros are charging between $5-20 a book that is getting witnessed these days, and if you have that assumption going in you won't be caught off guard. If he is free then that is a bonus.

I'd also urge everyone to be honest if you are having a book witnessed. This is not a shot at you or anyone in particular, but attempting a stealth witnessing has the potential to alienate pros from the program and hurt the long-term ability to get some of these guys. Don't risk angering someone over $10.

Edited by mysterio

22 minutes ago, Insanity said:

so Latour is gonna be there. Is he free for reg cgc signings?

From my experience, he sign my Spider-Gwen #1 two years ago for free and did a little doodle of Spider-Gwen and last year signed my Southern Bastards #1 and did a little doodle for free as well.  I did not get these books CGCed, but I know he will sign for free at least one books.  He is also a really cool guy.  

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

On the weather front, it’s looking like highs in the 40s and no precip on Thur-Fri at least. Let’s hope that’s the case all weekend. :wishluck:

So far so good on the weather front!  Still a ways out, but I will trade a chilly load in and Friday for a warmer Saturday/Sunday every time! Hoping that the precip holds off. Pulling a trailer on slick roads is not at the top of my list of things to do next weekend.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, D Stuart said:

So far so good on the weather front!  Still a ways out, but I will trade a chilly load in and Friday for a warmer Saturday/Sunday every time! Hoping that the precip holds off. Pulling a trailer on slick roads is not at the top of my list of things to do next weekend.

Saturday is showing up on my 10 day forecast now, still looking good. :wishluck:

21 hours ago, mysterio said:

Saturday is showing up on my 10 day forecast now, still looking good. :wishluck:

Weather Channel put in a 40% chance of snow for Friday this morning. Saturday and Sunday look good with the exception of a 30% chance of rain on Sunday.  Still lots of time for all of this to change though! Still trending for temps in the 40s over the weekend, so that's some good news! 

8 minutes ago, D Stuart said:

Weather Channel put in a 40% chance of snow for Friday this morning. Saturday and Sunday look good with the exception of a 30% chance of rain on Sunday.  Still lots of time for all of this to change though! Still trending for temps in the 40s over the weekend, so that's some good news! 

At least Friday snow would miss load in, and hopefully that Sunday rain chance will disappear. :wishluck:

37 minutes ago, celluloidbuff said:

My nephew and I are driving up Thursday afternoon, to hit town by around 7:00pm or so.  We're staying just a couple blocks from the convention center, so we'll happily hoof it even if there's snow.  Really looking forward to this.

Great, hope to see you guys at the show! Make sure he brings his Spawn list, we’ll have plenty. 

Weather looks great.  My only chance may be Sunday, unfortunately... 

But that's got me wondering - curious what you guys that are regularly set up at these shows think.  Past cons I've always tried to get there early on the first day, assuming that's when sellers have all the good stuff out and I can have the pick of the litter, as it were.  But as a buyer, is there any benefit to going to a con on Sunday?  Do you guys keep adding new, key comics over the weekend, and/or offer deeper discounts as it is winding down?

I like all aspects of the con, but am really only there to buy awesome comics.  Just always assumed that the pool to choose from by Sunday may be too picked over, but maybe that's not the case.