• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - WWBN #32. New collector who inherited a collection and need help in deciding whether I should grade or not

13 posts in this topic

Spine looks pretty beat up, probably because my father loved to read his comics. Is this something that's worth getting graded? 

I'm trying to get good at grading. I'm thinking this is something like a 5.5 -- am I far off? If I'm spot on, is it worth getting graded? 

Thanks!

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

wwbn32_front.jpg

wwbn32_back.jpg

Clean the back cover and I'd think you would be in the 5.0/5.5 range.  Since all the defects are on the outside edge it really presents well.

59 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Clean the back cover and I'd think you would be in the 5.0/5.5 range.  Since all the defects are on the outside edge it really presents well.

by clean the back cover, do you mean send it to a professional for dry cleaning? Or literally take an eraser to it myself? 

Without the cleaning of the back cover, what do you think it sits at? 4? 

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i dont think its worth getting graded unless you have a large batch of keys , semi keys

grading fees plus shipping both ways is quite a lot...

Not a ton of large keys, but definitely some "semi" keys. I'm still on the fence in knowing whether or not it'd be worth it. What's your guess as to a grade for this one?

9 minutes ago, Mosstastic_22 said:

Not a ton of large keys, but definitely some "semi" keys. I'm still on the fence in knowing whether or not it'd be worth it. What's your guess as to a grade for this one?

In the 5.0 to 6.0 range ...

if sold on eBay  with pictures you should have no problem listing it as "FINE" or "FINE+"

Edited by 1950's war comics

I like 5.5. I'd get it pressed and drycleaned myself. Like 1cool says, drycleaning probably means more, but some pressers, like the person who works on my comics, just drycleans as part of the pressing process (unless you fast path it). I would slab if it is special enough to warrant the preservation and presentation you get from a slab. Or I would slab it if you wanted to sell it as that will make the selling process a lot easier. If it's going to enter your collection and go into a shortbox, then I wouldn't bother with slabbing.

GPA at a 5.0 to a 5.5 gives about a 350 dollar spread which is pretty good. As a raw book, if you plan to sell it, expect to get less in the range of 30 percent less and it could be worse. . If you press and slab expect that to chew up about 90 bucks at a realistic minimum. This is where it gets hard. Look on EBAY, SEE WHAT IT DOES. lOOK AT GPA and you should join that group. The nice thing about a slab is the book is monetized and few fight that grading. If it's a love affair, don't slab it, read it , carefully. 

He could get the book pressed and submitted for around $65.00 sending it in Economy. If he is in a rush add $8.

If you have little to no experience cleaning books send it in to a professional. It would be easy to make a $200 mistake on a book like this.

"

He could get the book pressed and submitted for around $65.00 sending it in Economy. If he is in a rush add $8.

If you have little to no experience cleaning books send it in to a professional. It would be easy to make a $200 mistake on a book like this.

With that estimate, do you include shipping and insuring both ways?

Edited by Glassman10