• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucky ebay find for my daughter
1 1

43 posts in this topic

My daughter is trying to make a little money buying/selling comics on ebay just like her pop (me).

She doesn't always tell me what auctions she's buying so she's made a ton of mistakes (haven't we all).  It's been fun to educate her on what to look for, how to grade, what's hot, how to detect resto, etc... She's very much on the shallow side of the pool with what she can spend, so the things she buys are very different from what I look for and buy.

Anyway, she called me yesterday and told me she bought a "lot of 10 bronze comics" for $20.  When they came they were not bagged or boarded so she was a little upset.  She grabbed some mylars and started putting the comics into the bags and a crisp $100 bill fell out of one of the comics.   She was very excited.

Anyone else out there ever find $ in a comic?

(by the way.... is a crisp $100 bill from 1972 worth more than $100?)

Edited by gadzukes

I found $20 bucks in a book and also a sheet of forever stamps.  in both cases it was worth more than the actual book so was a nice surprise.  makes me wonder though, I don't go through half the books I buy, who knows what could be in there.

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So now the morally correct thing to do is contact the ebay seller and return the money?  

You know I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to come across as the morality police.  While I would do this, and have my child do the same, I won't pass judgement.

All I'd say is when you do the right thing, it will come back to you 10x in other ways.  Heck the seller may just tell her to keep it, or comp her a nice GA book!

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So now the morally correct thing to do is contact the ebay seller and return the money?  

ooh such a grey area.  Well unless those are OO books from the seller who knows who that $100 belonged to before.  And if it does belong to the seller, it's clearly been long forgotten. If you feel guilty you can send them a little extra via paypal but it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Curious though, which book was it in and on what page?  The moral here is inspect all comics you buy and especially those you sell before you ship.

56 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I will leave that up to her, but in this instance I don't find it morally challenging.  And I don't think she does either.

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

and you wonder why you're Broke as a Joke :baiting:

Seriously though, I found a really old twenty many years back, so I thought I would press it in a book to crisp it up a little. Now I've forgotten which book it's in. I know it's big and heavy. That's about it.

Congrats to your daughter, though. That's pretty cool!

18 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Some of you  guys would seriously send the $100 back to the seller? Wow. It's just $100. Somehow I think you'll still go to heaven. :eyeroll:

So what's the monetary number where the line is drawn by those manning the gates up in the sky? $200, $500, $1000?  Do they look at things on a cumulative basis over a lifetime or is each occurrence treated separately?  I'd like to know so when my ticket is punched I can still get in while pocketing some pesos along the way.

53 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

So what's the monetary number where the line is drawn by those manning the gates up in the sky? $200, $500, $1000?  Do they look at things on a cumulative basis over a lifetime or is each occurrence treated separately?  I'd like to know so when my ticket is punched I can still get in while pocketing some pesos along the way.

I mean caveat venditor :) 

Do you alway's give FMV for all your books? or do you try to snag a deal? where is the line with that, :shy: js it could go the other way too lol I think it comes down to personal prefrence.

the verse: love thy neighbor as thyself, comes to mind; and some or us still ask the silly question: "who is our neighbor?"

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

how it stayed inside the book is amazing since they were shipped without bags. Just another case where it pays to examine the books you are selling for problems (or in this case surprises) before listing them. I won't list a book without doing a page count, giving a good description of defects, assigning my grade for it and taking some scans. When I receive a book, I do the page count, give it my grade, record it on Comic Book Realm, and then put it in a new bag/board.  I would have found this money and don't feel anyone needs to be compensated for it. The seller is at fault for not checking out the stuff they were selling. That bill could have been in there since it was purchased and the seller never even opened it up to find it.

this case is like finding a discarded scratch lottery ticket and realizing it was a winner. Do you try to hunt down the former owner? Heck no - that is crazy.

I would bet this was a present to someone years ago where they tucked that money in the book and the person who got it never bothered looking further. Or it was just someone hiding cash inside books (a silly way to safeguard money).

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

I understand your point. Also wanted to throw in that I'm not atheist but don't subscribe to the belief that I am being judged by any "man in the sky" so my post had some sarcasm. I think the moral argument is laughable and the seller simply didn't notice it so it would be the buyers lucky day at any amount. 

lol  - I have mentioned this before on the boards in other threads so this is not a convenient post. 

I used to store hundred dollar bills in comics because I didn't want people in my family to know I had them.   Putting them in the bank would raise questions.  My hundred dollar bills were stored in what would be GI Joe, Transformers or other copper age comics at the time or bronze Spider-mans as that is what I collected at the time.   When I sold off a lot of books one year I also realized that I shipped out some money with those books. 

It's  probably not mine but even if it is descended from my collection that means the people I sold them to never looked in the books or changed the bags and boards from 25-30 years ago.  Ewww... 

No matter where that $100 bill came from I hope she enjoys it. 

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

how it stayed inside the book is amazing since they were shipped without bags. Just another case where it pays to examine the books you are selling for problems (or in this case surprises) before listing them. I won't list a book without doing a page count, giving a good description of defects, assigning my grade for it and taking some scans. When I receive a book, I do the page count, give it my grade, record it on Comic Book Realm, and then put it in a new bag/board.  I would have found this money and don't feel anyone needs to be compensated for it. The seller is at fault for not checking out the stuff they were selling. That bill could have been in there since it was purchased and the seller never even opened it up to find it.

this case is like finding a discarded scratch lottery ticket and realizing it was a winner. Do you try to hunt down the former owner? Heck no - that is crazy.

I would bet this was a present to someone years ago where they tucked that money in the book and the person who got it never bothered looking further. Or it was just someone hiding cash inside books (a silly way to safeguard money).

+1 It is a gift from God. The seller was sloppy and didn't care. Would probably make up for some of her learning curve and teach her a lesson about being careful to grade the whole book not the cover.

I did find a few seeds and a little shake inside an old ZAP Comic once. (I left it there)