• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 4 beneficial to press

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, l have a ASM #4 cgc 8.5 (dont think this copy has been pressed) which l'm wondering might benefit from a press and regrading in hope for a slightly higher grade.  l know this is controversial  but l rather ask here for some opinions from accomplished collectors who have a better idea of this than l do.  From the cgc grader notes it notes several points. 'Front cover medium wear all edges', 'spine stress lines', 'whole book small lite multiple dent', 'left top front cover small tear'. What is interesting is that l have glued my eyes to the case and can't seem to see the 'left top front cover small tear' it must be there though. Anyway here are some photos taken back from 2013. 

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/weaponlord8/story_29151/story

I would like to ask 

- does it look like this copy has been previously pressed?

- do you think this copy would benefit from a press, lets say to a 9.0 ?

Any views would be appreciated, thanks all.

Wong 

20 minutes ago, wongseefu1 said:

Hi all, l have a ASM #4 cgc 8.5 (dont think this copy has been pressed) which l'm wondering might benefit from a press and regrading in hope for a slightly higher grade.  l know this is controversial  but l rather ask here for some opinions from accomplished collectors who have a better idea of this than l do.  From the cgc grader notes it notes several points. 'Front cover medium wear all edges', 'spine stress lines', 'whole book small lite multiple dent', 'left top front cover small tear'. What is interesting is that l have glued my eyes to the case and can't seem to see the 'left top front cover small tear' it must be there though. Anyway here are some photos taken back from 2013. 

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/weaponlord8/story_29151/story

I would like to ask 

- does it look like this copy has been previously pressed?

- do you think this copy would benefit from a press, lets say to a 9.0 ?

Any views would be appreciated, thanks all.

Wong 

Pressing could potentially help these two issues from grading notes, but not the other 2:

"whole book small lite multiple dent"

"spine stress lines"

Its possible the grade could go up or stay the same. Of course there is always a chance of it going down, rare case, but it could happen. I had to say this. haha

This is purely my unprofessional opinion, but if pressing could get rid of the dent, it might could get to a 9.0 since it notes the tear is small. Spine stress lines can be helped with pressing so it could help those as well.

I hunt for and buy a lot of books and press them. If I were hunting for an investment ASM 4, this would be a potential for me based on the grading notes. I would potentially buy it due to the dent and the spine stress being in the notes. If I decided to buy it, I would press it. 

Thank you for your valuable opinion,l'm in the process of updating my collection . If l do plan to sell this ASM 4 l would post it on the cgcboard here, but atm it will stay in my collection. 

Thanks again,

Wong

Edited by wongseefu1
Wrong grammar

3 minutes ago, wongseefu1 said:

Thank you for your valuable opinion,l'm in the process of updating my collection . If l do plan to sell this ASM 4 l would post it on the cgcboard here, but atm it will stay in my collection. 

Thanks again,

Wong

My comment about buying this book was just an example that if I were looking for an investment and found this book while hunting for an ASM 4, this would be one that I would possibly buy and press as an investment because of the graders notes having possible pressable defects. Im not in the market right now for an ASM 4. :)

It is a great book though and good luck with it!! 

Here is a better close up of the edges and corners which l think a press or clean might potentially correct

https://ibb.co/j6RYHvhttps://ibb.co/j6RYHv

- Back cover seems to have a folded corner, without going into the cgc box its hard to see but a press might correct this if it is just a issue of a corner folding over.  Its unlikely though, that someone would take this comic into cgc to grade with such a obvious fault like a corner folding over like this. 

https://ibb.co/dEAzqF

- Corner of the front cover has a small tear but don't think a press can improve on it

https://ibb.co/mbv4Pa

- Perhaps a clean would remove the dirt along here

Comparing the grader's notes maybe a nice press/clean and a bit of luck can help this copy improve on a grade. Still can't find the 'left top front cover small tear though'.    

IMO, it is much more valuable in an 8.5 old label, unpressed state than in 9.0 pressed. But have at it, smoosh this nice comic book into a 9.0 so you can make a few dollars. That's what it's all about it anyway.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

The small tear may hold it at 8.5 no matter what. To be in the 9.0+ range a tear has to be very tiny. The problem with tears is they can get worse with handling. It can even get worse banging around inside the slab = shipping is not your friend. I know you said you can't see it. Sometimes you need to have the book in hand and open up the cover to see the tear.  BTW, my post from last night was after a night of drinking. However, I still stand by the statement. I think it is much more desirable as an old label 8.5 .

You have to ask yourself how much in value would this be in a 9.0 as apposed to 8.5?

How much would it cost to have it pressed/cleaned to possibly get a bump?

If you think it is worth it, then go for it..

If you have the skills to do the pressing and cleaning yourself, then go for it.

I once had a 7.5 that I really wanted to be an 8.0 so it would fit into my collection. It also had a small tear. I submitted it to get cleaned and pressed. Unfortunately, the tear got bigger and it got a 6.5 . I made some calls and the presser said the cleaning probably did it. The rubbing of the cleaning 'uncovered' the hardly noticeable small tear. Trust me, it happens.

30 minutes ago, SamPool said:

You have to ask yourself how much in value would this be in a 9.0 as apposed to 8.5?

How much would it cost to have it pressed/cleaned to possibly get a bump?

If you think it is worth it, then go for it..

If you have the skills to do the pressing and cleaning yourself, then go for it.

I think the OP already understands the math aspects. I believe his real intent here is to ascertain if the book has a good chance at 9.0 . That folded corner is troublesome to me. I am pretty sure if that fold is flattened out there will still be a crease.  So no gain there. I also believe that the very small amount of 'dirt' on the BC is not what's holding it to 8.5 . The book looks very clean already. I think I see the referenced tear in the upper right corner of the FC. I think that will be the biggest challenge to attaining a 9.0 .

I doubt this would get he bump based on existing color breaking defects. Add in that CGC has taken a tougher stance on tanning, and the book may stay the same or even go down with a press. I see a degree of tanning on this book that would get hammered if sent in again.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the OP already understands the math aspects. I believe his real intent here is to ascertain if the book has a good chance at 9.0 . That folded corner is troublesome to me. I am pretty sure if that fold is flattened out there will still be a crease.  So no gain there. I also believe that the very small amount of 'dirt' on the BC is not what's holding it to 8.5 . The book looks very clean already. I think I see the referenced tear in the upper right corner of the FC. I think that will be the biggest challenge to attaining a 9.0 .

Yes Bomber-Bob, l'm trying to figure out if it would be worth me pressing this book, fortunately l'm in the position to keep the comics l have but who knows in the future. Selling mite be a real possibility. 

Thanks for your input, 

6 minutes ago, wongseefu1 said:

Yes Bomber-Bob, l'm trying to figure out if it would be worth me pressing this book, fortunately l'm in the position to keep the comics l have but who knows in the future. Selling mite be a real possibility. 

Thanks for your input, 

Leaving it alone for now does not preclude you from trying later if circumstances change. Also, you can always try to sell the 8.5 old label at a price reflective of a 9.0 and let someone else try for the upgrade.