• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking back....
4 4

152 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I got the idea for making a list from Robert Bell... more or less

gaXLZOyl.jpg

My first method (i was around 11 or 12) to keep track of my books utilized sheets of three ring paper and my own hand drawn check boxes:

sample page

A3ot3zHl.jpg

codes used

Pa3uAMOl.jpg

I still have the entire list of my collection from that time and it is sort of helpful remembering where I was when I stopped in 1979 or so. I also used this to keep track of a few books I sold in the late 1980s and I can tell which ones they are as the check boxes were erased (mostly my X-Men).

When I went to re-bag and finally board my collection around 1990, I decided to buy some software to enter the condition, etc and I have those printouts still for the whole thing. This was the software I used:

Comic Collector version 1.0 

s-l1600.jpg

That was fine for a few decades as I really didn't add to the collection from 1979-2014. Still have the printouts and it helps as they are a little more accurate and include my first attempts at grading.

When I went to sell the collection but instead got back into collecting instead, I decided to not only re-bag/board them but also to use an online record keeping method. Checked out a bunch and went with Comic Book Realm. Not the best probably (the valuations are inflated) but not terrible either. Plus I can download the whole thing if I want to dump it into a spreadsheet or database at a later time (signed up for a lifetime membership).

But to be fair-- for the handful of titles I am currently working on, I put the missing issues on a simple post it that I have in my date book to cross reference as needed.

Nicely done Dude ?

I don't collect runs or focus solely on keys, just certain books which mean a lot to me.  Trying to put together long runs hasn't been an ambition since my teens.

It's easy for me to keep track of such a limited range of books, and so I don't really need a checklist system anymore.

Am I the only one that ever went into a store with the relevant issues written on their arm like a cheat sheet (hidden of course)?

I had a store that had  huge stacks of HG bronze romance, so I went home and isolated the issues I wanted (for whatever reason) and wrote them down to help me remember.

So the store guy sees me darting glances at my arm and goes, 'busted!'  I took it in stride and we both laughed, but it was a bit embarrassing, also I was kind of 

hiding my reasons and intentions, because I noticed the store guy would often buy issues I passed on.

Edited by bronze_rules

@01TheDude  Your handwritten entries look like an early Bullet Journal version. 

@Buzzetta  I had a purchasing system, nab whatever I can find cheap.  :(  I still have all my Batman and Tec but honestly haven't collected anything on either title in a few years.  I have tangled with the idea of selling them and just collecting World's Finest for the past few years.

I still have my first checklist notebook from 1980s, I think I stowed it in one of my storage boxes years ago. Haven't looked at it since ... what? 25,30 years now? I use binder book now with pages of titles to seek. Old school is what I am, I never use the damn smartphone thing. (:

7 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Am I the only one that ever went into a store with the relevant issues written on their arm like a cheat sheet (hidden of course)?

I had a store that had  huge stacks of HG bronze romance, so I went home and isolated the issues I wanted (for whatever reason) and wrote them down to help me remember.

So the store guy sees me darting glances at my arm and goes, 'busted!'  I took it in stride and we both laughed, but it was a bit embarrassing, also I was kind of 

hiding my reasons and intentions, because I noticed the store guy would often buy issues I passed on.

No, I tried that at the London Fair a few times @bronze_rules. Then I realised a 49 year old man with Spider-Man's number written on his arms looked slightly dubious on the train.  hm

5 hours ago, nocutename said:

@Marwood & I  This thread has prompted me to reorganize and audit my spreadsheet today.  After several hours it is done.  :)

Excellent!  So I do have a use on these boards after all :wink:

13 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Excellent!  So I do have a use on these boards after all 

(thumbsu

That's the spirit! 

I enjoy many of your threads.

Now, if you could just do what you do with re-runs of that British sitcom I used watch on CBC where everyone works in the department store playing in the background, you will have attained hero status my friend. 

Are you being served? ...right?

Edited by Patriot6

31 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

(thumbsu

That's the spirit! 

I enjoy many of your threads.

Now, if you could just do what you do with re-runs of that British sitcom I used watch on CBC where everyone works in the department store playing in the background, you will have attained hero status my friend. 

Are you being served? ...right?

Image result for are you being served gif

Back on topic (Oh, really? Bugger!  5963e4af6ec78_DogLikeSparkyCSMBAvatar.png.c5c47fae7e9ce6d441896986d1a020d3.png ), this is what my Pence spreadsheets look like.

You can read all about them via the links in my sig line below. They slide up and down and everything! :headbang::headbang:

1.thumb.PNG.62f32ab394498ecb7afd7efdbd4f409f.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.e12fe3c88abbffccf8d8eac4bc0a4e8d.PNG

:headbang::headbang: