• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Byrne FF 244 pgs (ended auction)
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I waited to post till after the auction to be fair to those bidding on it. 

Two nice pages from Byrne historic Galactus story just ended, they sold as a pair for a even 10k. 

Seemed low to me... any thoughts?

Here's the link to the completed auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-244-pgs-4-5-Galactus-1982-Signed-art-by-John-Byrne-/362030038865?hash=item544aabff51:g:LZYAAOSw3h1ZXXcZ

IMG_3218.PNG

IMG_3219.PNG

Edited by gumbydarnit

I've always thought having Dr. Doom or Galactus on your FF page was more desirable than having actual FF members on the page, so I'm with you. Nice Galactus pages from Byrne's peak... I'd have guessed higher. 

I don't think it was a good idea to end them on a Saturday afternoon in the summertime.

Was that a three-day auction?? Or did they sit with no bids for the first few days?

Isn't it a mistake to sell pages as a pair as well?  A lot more bidders might be able to swing for the fences for one page than for two pages IMO.  I know these pages are consecutive, but nothing about them seems compelling enough to keep them bound together.

Scott

Nice pages, the first page is far better in terms of content than the second page obviously, but both very nice. 

The winning bidder was ready to go higher if pushed, looking at the bidding history. 

Nice pages, had been following these, but there wasn't enough action on them for my taste.

still I think the $10K is low.. Seller picked the wrong ending time, auction length and possibly venue. I also tend to agree that bundling them wasn't maybe the best option.

Would have been interesting to see how much they would have gone for on Clink ?

I'm predicting $8K for the first and $6K for the second one. But anyway, buyer got a nice deal and will be delighted as he was cocked and loaded to go higher.

4 minutes ago, artistlost said:

What I find is strange is that the seller was Anthony Snyder. I would have thought he would have known better that to do an 3-day auction on Ebay ending Saturday afternoon

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if Anthony is the one who posted this listing or someone else.

Nevertheless, I'm waiting for this conversation to move over to "(Attempted) Flip of the Day" next week.

I was the high bidder on these pages, and I was definitely surprised what they ended up at. I have been looking for a Byrne X-Men page, however his FF run is right up there for me, especially the Galactus trilogy. I remember reading these issues in 6th grade and like many others they have stayed with me all these years.

I was prepared to go much higher and was surprised some deep pocketed collector didn't swoop in and outbid me, in fact I took my dogs for a walk during the  last five minutes to prevent me from going crazy and over bid on these.

Needless to say I was shocked I had won. Never say never, but I don't intend to sell these pages any time soon.

I expect as Byrne X-Men pages continue to go up, his FF work will continue to rise, especially the issues up through the Galactus trilogy. 

On 7/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, Shaun C89 said:

I was the high bidder on these pages, and I was definitely surprised what they ended up at. I have been looking for a Byrne X-Men page, however his FF run is right up there for me, especially the Galactus trilogy. I remember reading these issues in 6th grade and like many others they have stayed with me all these years.

I was prepared to go much higher and was surprised some deep pocketed collector didn't swoop in and outbid me, in fact I took my dogs for a walk during the  last five minutes to prevent me from going crazy and over bid on these.

Needless to say I was shocked I had won. Never say never, but I don't intend to sell these pages any time soon.

I expect as Byrne X-Men pages continue to go up, his FF work will continue to rise, especially the issues up through the Galactus trilogy. 

A huge congratulations. I'm not a Byrne collector, but I definitely know the heart-pounding excitement/exhilaration/fear of an auction about to close on a highly-desired bit of OA. Right place, right time, and the wisdom to lock in your bid before walking the dogs. Score!