• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What criteria should I look for before sending comics out for grading?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've been collecting mostly Marvel comics since 1978. I realize that to get the most value for my labor of love, I probably should get them graded.

Of course, I can't grade them all, therefore my question is what criteria should I look for before sending them out for grade?

I'm also very confused about just how to figure out how much it will cost per book even after looking at CGC's guide.

Thanks,

Nick D. 

First off, pull out all the keys and popular issues from your collection. You can use E-Bay sold listings to get an idea of valuation. Secondly, grade them or have someone you know help you grade them. Regarding the cost of CGC there are a lot variables. Shipping is on you both ways so it depends on where you live and how you ship. How quickly do you want your books back, what tier you put them in, what you value them at for insurance reasons while at CGC, what method you use for shipping. There's a whole lot of learning awaiting you. My advice, try a couple books and see how it goes.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:05 AM, Nick20000 said:

Hi All,

I've been collecting mostly Marvel comics since 1978. I realize that to get the most value for my labor of love, I probably should get them graded.

Of course, I can't grade them all, therefore my question is what criteria should I look for before sending them out for grade?

I'm also very confused about just how to figure out how much it will cost per book even after looking at CGC's guide.

Thanks,

Nick D. 

As some others have advised elsewhere, do not get your books graded (generally) unless and until you are ready to sell them. Not unless you have a super key that you want to encase and display for some reason. Do refersh their bags with mylar and acid free boards, however. (If you can afford grading them, you can more than afford the mylar an acid free backing boards).

If at some point you want to sell some of them, then you can follow the steps above to determine whether its worth spending the money on slabbing them.

I would say value first and condition second.   It's not cheap to send a book off for slab. At the least look in Overstreet and see what the value could potentially be. Another source would be any of the retail houses and looking at their listings of what they would sell it for based on condition and slabbing as well, Personally, I see no point in slabbing a book that sells for $30 dollars but people seem to do it.  Hope springs eternal? I'm inclined to think it has to have a $100 dollar minimum value or you're just churning money- and then you can't even read it. 

Agree with the above. Only other point I'll mention is there are a few books that I get slabbed for sentimental purposes, just to keep / showcase / display. ie. books that meant a lot to me when I was younger, but don't have a lot of value slabbed (ie. $50 - $100). I think of this as less of grading cost, and more of a "framing" cost like you would a piece of art.

If your main purpose is to slab for selling, then all the other replies makes sense. One thing to note is that most Modern Keys only really make sense to slab if it'll be a 9.8 (and maybe 9.6 for some of the higher end ones). Certain "ultra-high-end modern keys" (probably an oxymoron for some, heh) are still net positive to slab at 9.2 / 9.4 (ie. BA12 1st Harley, NYX3 1st X-23), and if you have any of the ultra-rare modern variants. 

I think the $100 minimum is a pretty good rule of thumb though. And I like the advice if you're first starting out to get a few books slabbed to start - you'll get a feel for the all-in cost to slab, how tough shipping / packaging is, how good your grading skills are and the risk you take a book comes in lower than what you though, etc.

Thank guys. 

It does seem to be a gamble to go ahead with grading on marginal books. 

The one thing that tips the scales a little is getting a book signed.

I guess like anything else send it in and hope to hit the lottery with a 10 or 9.9