• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious About "Waves"

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m new to this community and comic grading in general. So I apologize in advance if this is common knowledge among the rest of you.

I’ve recently noticed that a few of my newer comics seem to have what I would call “waves” throughout them. I’m not sure if it’s a printing defect or if something else is going on. Can someone help me out?  

IMG_0415 (1).JPG

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Yes, but it depends how bad they are. Working off the example you show, I would expect a grade hit due to the waves.

Better yet, he should get it slabbed and then come on here blaming CGC for waves in his slab. 

Thank you. I've noticed a lot of these particular issues appear to have this problem online too. Could it potentially be a manufacturing defect, or does it probably have more to do with humidity or something? I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to prevent it.

22 minutes ago, Mike Frazier said:

xD Didn't they work  that issue out anyway? 

Yes, they did. However, as you have demonstrated, many Moderns have these waves off the shelf.  Still, some like to blame CGC. Especially if they bought the book already slabbed. It all demonstrates that people like slabbed 9.8's to look perfect. So what is CGC to do ? If they don't give a book with waves a 9.8, the submitter gets mad. If they do, the eventual buyer gets mad. To avoid the hassles of being blamed and accepting reslabs, it's simply easier for CGC to not give a 9.8 with waves. Waves can also be caused by the after effects of a bad pressing. IMO, your book would not get 9.8 . 

I just picked up another #1 and it's got the exact same issue (possibly to a lesser extent). They must be bad pressings... I don't have any intention of getting these graded, but it's a shame because they're good books. Also good to know it's not anything I'm doing.

7 minutes ago, Mike Frazier said:

I just picked up another #1 and it's got the exact same issue (possibly to a lesser extent). They must be bad pressings... I don't have any intention of getting these graded, but it's a shame because they're good books. Also good to know it's not anything I'm doing.

If you ever decide to send them in, simply get them pressed. Light waves like this, without any creasing, is a perfect application for a light press.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:20 AM, Mike Frazier said:

Is it something that could potentially lower the grade of the books?

Depends of course, but assuming that the paper used for the cover is softer (for lack of a better word, maybe thinner is better?) then the books will get those waves.  I just did a pre-screen 9.8 and several of the books had similar waves and got the 9.8 blue label.  

On 7/15/2017 at 2:17 PM, Mike Frazier said:

Just saw this, seems like it is the paper used for the cover.  As long as the waves aren't excessive, then it shouldn't be an issue.