• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Favorite UNDERRATED GA Cover -- limit to... as many as you want !
4 4

236 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2017 at 1:05 AM, lou_fine said:

And I think Jon would agree with all of you gents here, as I believe this is another one of the books which he held back from the auction to keep for himself.  (thumbsu

I do agree!  I did hold it back. Fun cover.  Rockford copy spine split but nice book.  I had early access to the Rockford books which were a great group of books that Mark Wilson uncovered.

Okay, here's the one I mentioned I was waiting for. I know the guide calls it out as "Nazi firing squad cover" but I still think it's under the radar for most. One could call it a poor man's Cap 46, but how many covers at all take place in a concentration camp? 

image.jpeg

16 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Okay, here's the one I mentioned I was waiting for. I know the guide calls it out as "Nazi firing squad cover" but I still think it's under the radar for most. One could call it a poor man's Cap 46, but how many covers at all take place in a concentration camp? 

image.jpeg

Is it showing a concentration camp or is it a scene of Nazis murdering villagers?  There was a lot of publicity about the Germans wiping out the Czech village of Lidice after Reinhard "Hangman" Heydrich was assassinated.  Maybe that episode is what Biro had in mind. hm

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is it showing a concentration camp or is it a scene of Nazis murdering villagers?  There was a lot of publicity about the Germans wiping out the Czech village of Lidice after Reinhard "Hangman" Heydrich was assassinated.  Maybe that episode is what Biro had in mind. hm

I don't know for sure; both seem possible. I lean toward a camp because of the train tracks right there and the trucks driving away, but I know of no way to be certain.

Either way, it's one of the few war covers I can think of with this sort of imagery. While Cap 46 is the only unambiguous concentration camp cover I know of (are there others?) this one is on a short list of this sort. I cannot think of too many others. 

2 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I think Street and Smith as a publisher gets overlooked a lot.

SC 4.png

Such a great cover.  I love the Shadow.  I still listen to the old radio programs.   Orson Wells actually played Lamont/Shadow at one point.  He was not my favorite though.  An actor named Bill Johnstone seemed to nail the Lamont/Shadow voice and the laugh.  By the way, Agnes Moorehead of Bewitched TV fame played Margo Lane at one point during the radio run.  Lots of useless information, no doubt.

Great book!