• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago-Land Show (McCook) - July 15th + 16th

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Went through about 1/2 of my books last night to pull for the show. Looks like our booth will have full coverage between the two of us.

I'll have mostly Modern stuff with sprinklings of Copper; more "semi-key" stuff, not run fillers. Good amount of Campbell and Hughes covers.

Also some random monster, film, movie magazines -- very cheap. Need to clear out the nursery before the baby arrives. :)

I'm really disappointed I'm missing this show :cry:

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

You could always invite me to lunch if you wanted to see me

Sure, we could go to Fogo and you can go nuts at the salad bar xD

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Sure, we could go to Fogo and you can go nuts at the salad bar xD

Let's make it a triple date.

16 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Here's pics of my booth

IMG_8166.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, with a big thanks in part to this and one other booth.  Hector, I think I spent about $100 with you (didn't even know it was you).

I bought a short box of cheapies and a handful of those Wolverine 66 DFs you were carrying.  I told you my wife was not going to be happy with me one bit (but I'm sure you get that a lot).

For those of you on the fence about attending on Sunday, this show has a healthy amount of dealers and a good mix of all ages of comics.  I spent about 4 hours digging through boxes and found lots of good deal.  Prices all around at most booths seemed very reasonable.  This is a good show!

WGN was out there Saturday morning during setup. Saw an interview with James O'Barr, the organizer, etc.. Did any boardies make it onto the small screen?

I had never even heard of this town before the thread was started. Hope it's a positive experience for everyone.

Just now, Ant-Man said:

WGN was out there Saturday morning during setup. Saw an interview with James O'Barr, the organizer, etc.. Did any boardies make it onto the small screen?

I had never even heard of this town before the thread was started. Hope it's a positive experience for everyone.

One of my comics made the broadcast 

I'm famous!

IMG_8169.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ant-Man said:

Yep I definitely remember you. Thank you for your purchases. I hope it went well when you got home. 

What a very interesting show. I expected crowds and dealers similar to other MightyCon events but it was not to be.

I'm not sure which played into it the most:

• Weather
  • Advertising
  • Similar Show
  • Other

I wasn't there for the majority of Saturday but the attendance seemed way down both days. And while the overall venue is much larger than DuPage, the actual event space seemed comparable to the fairgrounds -- and looked emptier than usual with dealers/vendors/exhibitors.

I did well hitting 3 major goals over the weekend, and almost had Hector take a big hit for the 4th. ;)

My purchases were way down from previous shows, buying a bunch of $2 or less stuff. One dealer had items I was interested in, but when his prices are already 5x+ the going rate, it's hard to even begin to haggle.

I wasn't at the recent Wisconsin shows, so I'll let Hector (or others) speak to those shows compared to this one.

19 minutes ago, manetteska said:

What a very interesting show. I expected crowds and dealers similar to other MightyCon events but it was not to be.

I'm not sure which played into it the most:

• Weather
  • Advertising
  • Similar Show
  • Other

I wasn't there for the majority of Saturday but the attendance seemed way down both days. And while the overall venue is much larger than DuPage, the actual event space seemed comparable to the fairgrounds -- and looked emptier than usual with dealers/vendors/exhibitors.

I did well hitting 3 major goals over the weekend, and almost had Hector take a big hit for the 4th. ;)

My purchases were way down from previous shows, buying a bunch of $2 or less stuff. One dealer had items I was interested in, but when his prices are already 5x+ the going rate, it's hard to even begin to haggle.

I wasn't at the recent Wisconsin shows, so I'll let Hector (or others) speak to those shows compared to this one.

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence but ultimately did not go. I talked to someone that went on Saturday who also attended the Dupage show. His comments were similar to yours, saying it was basically the same identical dealers. He did not buy anything at this show. BTW, I think I know the dealer you are referencing with the 5X prices and if I'm not mistaken, he is the one running the show. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the review. I was on the fence but ultimately did not go. I talked to someone that went on Saturday who also attended the Dupage show. His comments were similar to yours, saying it was basically the same identical dealers. He did not buy anything at this show. BTW, I think I know the dealer you are referencing with the 5X prices and if I'm not mistaken, he is the one running the show. 

In this particular case, the dealer in question is from out of state.

I sold a lot of cheap books. Probably the best I've ever done. I had regular books priced at 3 for $1 and sold a total of 6 long boxes worth.

I moved about another 2-3 short boxes of $1 books over the 2 Days.

not a lot of big buyers (outside of dealers). I think the most expensive book I sold on Saturday was $20. I sold a bit more of them on Sunday but still nothing spectacular. 

Overall I did pretty good for the show. However many dealers felt there weren't enough customers and the few that were there weren't really spending any money. 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I sold a lot of cheap books. Probably the best I've ever done. I had regular books priced at 3 for $1 and sold a total of 6 long boxes worth.

I moved about another 2-3 short boxes of $1 books over the 2 Days.

not a lot of big buyers (outside of dealers). I think the most expensive book I sold on Saturday was $20. I sold a bit more of them on Sunday but still nothing spectacular. 

Overall I did pretty good for the show. However many dealers felt there weren't enough customers and the few that were there weren't really spending any money. 

Any in demand books you got asked for a lot that you can remember?