• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your dream comission
2 2

53 posts in this topic

What is your dream comission by a living artist (s)? Who would it be and what would it be of?

And/or

If you got a dream comission by a non living comic artist - who and what might it be?

Edited by Panelfan1

Living artists:

José Garcia-Lopez - Starfire collage

Jackson "Butch" Guice - Sword of the Swashbucklers (homage to the 40's pirate films)

Alan Davis - Classic Excalibur vs Crazy Gang!!!

Dead artists:

Al Williamson - Flash, Dale, Zarkov, Ming, Prince Baron, Princess Aura, Prince Vultan, Queen Azura 

John Buscema - The Women of Marvel (Marvel Girl, Black Widow, Invisible Girl, Dorma, Shalla Bal, Belít, Medusa, Red Sonja, Wasp, Hela and Valkyrie). I was planning on commissioning John to do it shortly before he passed away but then he got sick.

Living?  Definitely a Ditko jam piece with Spidey, Strange, Speedball, Squirrel Girl, Captain Atom, Creeper, Hawk and Dove, The Question, Iron Man, and Mr. A all gathered around him at his art board. 

Past?  I'd have to go with the zaniest Plastic Man scene that Jack Cole could work up with his unparalleled imagination. 

Alive:

Art Adams:  Have him do one of those expanded covers.  Maybe UXM 270, or even better have him do his take on Lee's XM1 gatefold.

McFarlane: Spider-man vs his rogue's gallery

Passed:

Kieth Parkinson:  Some sort of re-do of his Everquest covers.  Not comic related, but he is one of the best ever.

Dream commission from a living artist:

David Mazzucchelli: a Daredevil "Born Again" piece.

One of those Arthur Adams cover expansions of either Thor, Star Wars, New Mutants/X-Men "Asgardian Wars," or Hulk #5 (1963) turned into a Hulk vs everybody in his rogue's gallery (especially the Toad Men!).

Passed:

Big John Buscema: a re-attack of FF#116...Dr. Doom leads the FF against the Overmind and a mind-controlled Reed Richards.  With inks by Joltin' Joe Sinnott, who thankfully is still with us.

Edited by The Shoveler
added 1st name for Mazz

Since the Simonson Thor and Mazz DD Born Again material that I would be interested in still resides with their respective artists, I'd say either an oversized, cover-quality Thor/Beta Ray Bill commission based on the material from the first half-dozen issues of Simonson's Thor run (Thor #339-340 being among the most nostalgic individual issues from my youth), or a DD Born Again montage piece by Mazzucchelli (the #232-233 pages in the marketplace don't interest me as much as the material from #227-229 in particular) would be my picks for commissions by a living artist.  

Though, the issue with the "living artist commission" question is that artistic style can (and does) change over time, while artistic powers also decline after a certain point (only Art Adams seems to be immune to this).  I mean, I can see a lot of people wanting a Frank Miller DD commission or a Steve Ditko ASM commission...if they looked like Frank Miller circa 1981 and Steve Ditko circa 1964.  Who knows what those commissions would look like in 2017...

As for commission by a deceased artist, I'd say a Conan and Red Sonja oil by Frank Frazetta, depicting the treasure room scene from Conan #24, executed circa 1973-74 (pre-bikini chainmail). 

Edited by delekkerste

In my CAF Premium member Q&A from 12/25/2008, since those artists had passed on, my Top 5 Black Canary impossible commission list was:
1) Jack Cole
2) Nestor Redondo
3) John Rosenberger
4) Dave Stevens
5) David Wright

And since Nick Cardy's passing, I'll mention a commission I proposed to him.  I think its complexity required more thinking than he'd want to do.  My idea was to have a 1960's style party.  A packed room full of characters he's drawn.  If you've seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, there's a party that you could barely navigate, that's kind of what I was going for. 

Well, if we are hopping over to the impossible machine, I'd love a DPS sized, Jack Kirby / Spoon Ayers commission from say late 1963 depicting all the marvel heroes from that time battling all the marvel villains from that time.   :)

I wish I could say I'd dig something more exotic, but if I wasn't worried about rarity or market values or whatever... that's what I'd want.

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well, if we are hopping over to the impossible machine, I'd love a DPS sized, Jack Kirby / Spoon Ayers commission from say late 1963 depicting all the marvel heroes from that time battling all the marvel villains from that time.   :)

I wish I could say I'd dig something more exotic, but if I wasn't worried about rarity or market values or whatever... that's what I'd want.

Nice. I'm there with you except sub Sinnott and a few years later for DAyers.