• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Lubbers Tribute
5 5

96 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rtsunlimited said:

Yeah, I picked both up from Heritage in last few months.

Too lazy to trim the Heritage text off the bottom. :insane:

Very nice...of all the Bob Lubbers recreations they've had up on HA recently that was by FAR the best one, and the only I even thought about going after.  You got a great deal on it!

19 hours ago, szav said:

Very nice...of all the Bob Lubbers recreations they've had up on HA recently that was by FAR the best one, and the only I even thought about going after.  You got a great deal on it!

Well.... I'm not sure it was a great deal as it's only 8.5" x 11" and not like this that's 16" x 22" (which I won in the Berk auction):

Wings 87 Recreation.jpg

Was shocked to see this pop on ebay at a reasonable price, and snagged it as fast as I could.  A very underrated Lubbers cover imo and being a St. John pretty tough find above VG even.  Its got that classic fluid GGA look that's every bit as good as any of the more recognized classic Wings covers etc.

Texan1.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, szav said:

Was shocked to see this pop on ebay at a reasonable price, and snagged it as fast as I could.  A very underrated Lubbers cover imo and being a St. John pretty tough find above VG even.  Its got that classic fluid GGA look that's every bit as good as any of the more recognized classic Wings covers etc.

Texan1.jpg

Appears to be headed for a very severe groin injury...

A tribute to Lubbers should at least have a picture of Bob.

Here is Bob in May 1954 working on the "Long Sam" comic strip that was created by Al Capp and lasted from 1954 to 1962.

Long Sam was about a naive mountain girl and her experiences in the big city.

Here is a Sunday strip from 1955 that has caricatures of Gina Lollobrigida and Marilyn Monroe.

lubbers1.jpg

Long Sam8-14-55.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

10 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

A tribute to Lubbers should at least have a picture of Bob.

Here is Bob in May 1954 working on the "Long Sam" comic strip that was created by Al Capp and lasted from 1954 to 1962.

Long Sam was about a naive mountain girl and her experiences in the big city.

Here is a Sunday strip from 1955 that has caricatures of Gina Lollobrigida and Marilyn Monroe.

HA often has OA of Lubber's strips like Long Sam, Robin Malone, and some Tarzans.  I think there may be other strips too but not sure.  He was pretty prolific.