• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE - My basement flooded where my books are
3 3

139 posts in this topic

I am wiped.  I have pulled the majority of books that got hit and dryed of any moisture on the Mylar.   Lost about 6-7 long boxes of material, about 70% of the longboxes material lost was Derek type stuff, the other 30% low grade bronze and some beat up silver.   Still going through the books damaged, but lost about 20 high grade silver age books.   That were stacked on the floor, no real keys or anything, but still upsetting.

Will work for a couple of more hours drying and cleaning up the books.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

Termites are sneaky as hell.  I picked up a stack of magazines and it was a hollowed out shell held together by termite droppings.  They use it like cement.  From the outside everything looked normal just a stack of magazines.

You need to hire Oakman to come up there and take care of business

:sorry:Sorry to know the status of your books in your basement. This is one of many collectors nightmares when it come with their precious collection got soaked from the floor. I hope you didn't lose out too much in there.

i think it time some of us get our butts up and go get shelves or whatever to get our boxes off the basement floor. Weather can be unpredictable - even our weathermen aren't prefect to tell us which whom basement will be flooded?

27 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I am wiped.  I have pulled the majority of books that got hit and dryed of any moisture on the Mylar.   Lost about 6-7 long boxes of material, about 70% of the longboxes material lost was Derek type stuff, the other 30% low grade bronze and some beat up silver.   Still going through the books damaged, but lost about 20 high grade silver age books.   That were stacked on the floor, no real keys or anything, but still upsetting.

Will work for a couple of more hours drying and cleaning up the books.

So sorry you lost books but at least your best stuff is safe.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in 2011. Lost 40 long boxes. My lessons learned:

1) GET YOUR BOOKS OUT OF THE WET MYLARS. Even if you think you've gotten all the moisture out, it will leach in,
2) Call your insurance agent immediately. If you're covered for flood damage - you might be if there's a drain in the basement - your comics are covered the same as anything else down there.
3) Throw out ¨nothing until you hear from them.
4) Get the wet books out of your house - get them in a garage or something. Mold will grow on old newsprint very rapidly.
5) Find someone who can give an appraisal of the books you lost, and get that done fast.
6) You're going to miss some books, and three years from now you'll find a comic inside a bag that has grown penicillin. Get rid of them.

Hope this helps! Man, this sucks.

51 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me in 2011. Lost 40 long boxes. My lessons learned:

1) GET YOUR BOOKS OUT OF THE WET MYLARS. Even if you think you've gotten all the moisture out, it will leach in,
2) Call your insurance agent immediately. If you're covered for flood damage - you might be if there's a drain in the basement - your comics are covered the same as anything else down there.
3) Throw out ¨nothing until you hear from them.
4) Get the wet books out of your house - get them in a garage or something. Mold will grow on old newsprint very rapidly.
5) Find someone who can give an appraisal of the books you lost, and get that done fast.
6) You're going to miss some books, and three years from now you'll find a comic inside a bag that has grown penicillin. Get rid of them.

Hope this helps! Man, this sucks.

:eek: Glad I dont have a basement.

Ensured most of the Mylar books whose boxes got wet were in fact still dry and I wiped of any residual moisture on the base of the bags.   The top picture are books from wet boxes that were protected by the Mylite 2's , the second pic shows few books that had some hole or crack in the Mylar and are pretty much done.   The JIM is only partially wet, I may see if I can salvage that.  These books are in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier that are toast?

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Edited by jhutton2

Had this happen a few years ago.  Very depressing time.  I lost 5 boxes of Golden age, 10 boxes of Silver, and 40 long boxes of 80's and up books.  Not fun at all.

Get them out of the bags asap or they will stick to them.

A few pic's from then:

th_wetcomics2.jpg

th_wetcomics.jpg

th_water9.jpg

th_water8.jpg

th_water3.jpg

th_water7.jpg

Do what Donut said.  I remember when there was a flood in a relatives house.  It pained us to do so but we got rid of most anything that had been soaking in water, even furniture.  

Books can be salvaged.  However, things like this makes me nervous and drives me to sell off even more stuff to keep as small and as manageable collection as possible.