• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE - My basement flooded where my books are
3 3

139 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Mylar bags have been saving the majority of books, definitely casualties though?

mylars are a superb choice for comic storage !!

15 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

IMG_0375.JPG

actually, if the books in that box are in mylars (or even plastics) they may be ok :wishluck:

55 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

In this box, all were ok except for one.   So grateful I upgraded to Mylar over the last five or six years for most of my collection 

Snugs or M2s?  (shrug)

Oh man so sorry to hear. I hope the damage is minimal.  Can recent water soaked comics be pressed out or carefully dehumidified and pressed?

This is always a good reminder for the rest of us to evaluate our own storage.  At least 6-12" off the floor, 2-3" from the walls, and don't forget about overhead leak protection. Things like toilet overflows or washing machine leaks or pipe bursts can cause water to run down walls and drain out of ceiling smoke alarms, ceiling lights, and weak seams in the ceiling drywall. 

Curious, did your basement have a working sump pump?

You will need to somehow separate all the books and dry them off so moisture is not retained between mylars and the extreme humidity seeps in and causes mold and other issues.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Sorry to here this tragedy but it reminds me to grab some spare wood pallets from Home Depot or Lowe's to raise up my basement long boxes. :idea:

That's exactly what I did when I had a minor flood in my basement. I was lucky that I only lost about 100 or so books. 

I had a bunch of SA books gobbled by termites that had been burrowing up unseen from below.  They entered the bags and began eating from the edge inward.  Superman 34 for instance 6.0 became completely separated pieces of paper.

I hope things work out man! Breathe, and we are all hoping for minimal damage man! Kav brought up a great point regarding carefully removing them when they are either dry or able to be removed without damage. Good luck bro. 

52 minutes ago, kav said:

I had a bunch of SA books gobbled by termites that had been burrowing up unseen from below.  They entered the bags and began eating from the edge inward.  Superman 34 for instance 6.0 became completely separated pieces of paper.

:cry::cry::cry:

Just now, Senormac said:

:cry::cry::cry:

Termites are sneaky as hell.  I picked up a stack of magazines and it was a hollowed out shell held together by termite droppings.  They use it like cement.  From the outside everything looked normal just a stack of magazines.