• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this defect caused by a bad press job or something else?

8 posts in this topic

A previous topic about "waves" got me to thinking about a Silver Age comic I own that has very slight waves/bends along the "top left edge of the back cover".  And that is the only part of the book that has these waves/bends. Front cover and the rest of the comic looks fine.  Does anyone know if a bad press job could cause only a very small portion of the back cover edge to look like this.  If so, why would only that top part of the book be affected and not the rest of the comic edge?  Could humidity instead be the culprit or possibly slab pressure is causing the comic to ripple slightly?  Or maybe just caused by mishandling of the comic  hm  Appreciate any feedback on this, and if you feel this is the result of a bad press job:

back cover.jpg

back cover 3.jpg

back cover 2.jpg

back cover 4.jpg

Edited by mosconi

25 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Most likely the way the inner well sits inside the slab.

I concur. I just went through the same situation with a newly graded slab. The book had a wedge on the bottom and the book was pressed up against the top edge of the inner well a little too tightly, causing the waves. You should send the book back in for a reholder. It should be fine.

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur. I just went through the same situation with a newly graded slab. The book had a wedge on the bottom and the book was pressed up against the top edge of the inner well a little too tightly, causing the waves. You should send the book back in for a reholder. It should be fine.

Thanks Bob! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Most likely the way the inner well sits inside the slab.

That's what it looks like to me also 2c

9 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Good to know (thumbsu

I believe you are not in the CONUS = a reholder is a hassle. If it's a keeper book anyway, consider taking it out of the slab. The longer it stays in that state the more likelihood of damage.  Hopefully, it will lay flat once you get it out of there.