• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sellinng 1960 Comics

14 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Essentially you are asking 'hi guys I want to sell something how much can I get for it?'

Just ignore these posts in this thread. It's all a big put on. Responding only shows you are falling for this massive 'prank'. Seriously.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, kav said:

Essentially you are asking 'hi guys I want to sell something how much can I get for it?'

Not really. I think she's asking for some basic information about how to establish a grade and then get a price guide value. This is a great opportunity to write an overall guide to establishing the value of any given comic book. There IS a process. It might look something like:

1. Look up the price guide value for the book
    1. Where to look if it's been graded by a third party grading company
    2. Where to look if it's raw (it's probably raw or they wouldn't be asking this question)
    3. Explaining what the grading range looks like (numerical from third party graders, or descriptive (VF, etc.)
    4. Watching out for cover variants
    5. Identifying reprints
  2. Decide whether the general RANGE of prices is worth going any farther
    1. If it's a really common modern book without any worthwhile top end value, maybe you will not care to find out what condition YOUR book is in, because the value is so low it isn't worth the bother.
    2. General discussion on values by age
    3. The value of key comics / first appearances
  3. If the value of the book has the potential to be worth it, start evaluating the condition / grade of the book
    1. General grading guidance - what a low/mid/high grade book looks like
      1. Page quality
      2. Cover
      3. Completeness
      4. Creases / color breaks
      5. etc.
    2. Resources like the Please Grade My forum
    3. Information about how a dealer will evaluate the book when buying from you
    4. Paying someone local to evaluate the whole collection
    5. What third party grading is and how to submit (and deciding if it's worth it based on book value)
    6. Watching out for restoration
  4. Determining if the book has any potential for conservation
    1. Pressing the book for improvement
    2. Possible grade improvement
    3. Education on the controversies surrounding conservation and disclosure
  5. Education on the value (or lack thereof) of things like signatures (placement, signer, provenance)
  6. Places you can sell and the work / convenience trade off
    1. Dealers for less than market
    2. eBay / other for market - if you get lucky, or set a reserve, and do all of the work
    3. Fees involved
  7. Selling a collection versus selling piecemeal
    1. When is a collection worth more because it's together
    2. Possible value of selling a competitive registry set of comics
    3. What books realize more when sold separately
    4. Selling a whole collection so you don't have to bother with the low value books (i.e. someone who is willing to handle the low value books buys it all to get the high value books)
  8. Properly handling of the books while evaluating / selling
    1. Preserving the condition (watch those corners!)
    2. Bags and boards
    3. CRITICAL nature of proper packing if shipping anything

Well, that's just off the top of my head. The point is, when someone asks a very GENERAL question, it isn't because there's no answer to be had. It's because they don't yet understand where to start. And there's a TON of info that can be provided. @Bomber-Bob

Let's all remember to be patient and kind in answering newbie questions. We were all new at some point. I had a lot of patient collectors and dealers show me the ropes when I was a young collector and it helped me return the favor. 

Instagram and Facebook don't seem to be offering any education or information to new collectors in their communities. Let's make sure this place is different. 

55 minutes ago, CW said:

Let's all remember to be patient and kind in answering newbie questions. We were all new at some point. I had a lot of patient collectors and dealers show me the ropes when I was a young collector and it helped me return the favor. 

Instagram and Facebook don't seem to be offering any education or information to new collectors in their communities. Let's make sure this place is different. 

Okay, a benefit of the doubt will be given. 

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

The point is, when someone asks a very GENERAL question, it isn't because there's no answer to be had. It's because they don't yet understand where to start. And there's a TON of info that can be provided. @Bomber-Bob

Understand. Point acknowledged. However, there was another thread just recently with basically the same question. I took it seriously and tried to give some beginner tips. I'll have to locate it. My point is many of these Newbie questions are redundant. If we gave a complete how to answer to this person, it will simply get lost and forgotten only to start all over again the next time.

On 7/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, Golden Girl2 said:

It is time I sell my comic books, how do I go about it because I don't even know their values?

First off, pull out all the keys and popular issues from your collection. You can use E-Bay sold listings to get an idea of valuation. Depending on the size of your collection this may be a tedious project but, as a first step, it has to be done. Once you have identified the more valuable comics you will then have to grade them = you will need to learn how to grade. Do the first step and then come back here. If you show us pics, we may be able to help you grade your books.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Understand. Point acknowledged. However, there was another thread just recently with basically the same question. I took it seriously and tried to give some beginner tips. I'll have to locate it. My point is many of these Newbie questions are redundant. If we gave a complete how to answer to this person, it will simply get lost and forgotten only to start all over again the next time.

I agree, although I think the way to handle that is:

1. Answer thoroughly somewhere - preferably on a question with a VERY CLEAR title the represents the question (I know, this thread doesn't have that)
  2. Upvote that question so that it appears in the popular questions area, hopefully causing some to read the answer before asking
  3. When a redundant question appears, post a link to the authoritative Q&A post, OR if that's too much work, just reply and said "Try searching for the answer to this - it's been asked and answered previously" - then they can do the work to find the answer.

48 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I agree, although I think the way to handle that is:

1. Answer thoroughly somewhere - preferably on a question with a VERY CLEAR title the represents the question (I know, this thread doesn't have that)
  2. Upvote that question so that it appears in the popular questions area, hopefully causing some to read the answer before asking
  3. When a redundant question appears, post a link to the authoritative Q&A post, OR if that's too much work, just reply and said "Try searching for the answer to this - it's been asked and answered previously" - then they can do the work to find the answer.

I'm not afraid of doing the 'work' but you have to understand, most of what you said went over my head. I'm not familiar with upvoting, I have no idea of what you mean by post a link to the authoritative Q&A post. Sorry. BTW, please don't assume I'm stupid. I'm actually a retired IT guy, with little knowledge of the new technology. Someday day the world will pass you by too, it happens fast !  

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Perhaps a pinned topic for the super general questions like this. Or a pinned note to question askers to scan through the existing topics first and see if they can't find an answer before asking.

I see Bob's point about putting in the effort to answer when another doesn't put in the effort to look. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not afraid of doing the 'work' but you have to understand, most of what you said went over my head. I'm not familiar with upvoting, I have no idea of what you mean by post a link to the authoritative Q&A post. Sorry. BTW, please don't assume I'm stupid. I'm actually a retired IT guy, with little knowledge of the new technology. Someday day the world will pass you by too, it happens fast !  

You can upvote a question at the top of the thread, and an answer to the left of the answer. (see screen shots)

And by post a link to the authoritative Q&A, I just mean copy the URL from the address bar at the top and paste a link to the where the question was already answered. I mention that it's work, because then you'd have to go dig up where it was previously answered to get the address, and then come back and post it... which is sometimes more work than I want to do.

answerupvote.png

questionupvote.png

27 minutes ago, Architecht said:

You can upvote a question at the top of the thread, and an answer to the left of the answer. (see screen shots)

And by post a link to the authoritative Q&A, I just mean copy the URL from the address bar at the top and paste a link to the where the question was already answered. I mention that it's work, because then you'd have to go dig up where it was previously answered to get the address, and then come back and post it... which is sometimes more work than I want to do.

answerupvote.png

questionupvote.png

Cool stuff. Thanks. (thumbsu