• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS Turnaround Times
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I submitted a book online using the Express tier for both CGC and CCS (dry clean/press).  The turnaround time for CCS express tier was clearly stated to be 11 days but just went to their site and it says 10 - 12 weeks???  Being a week or two off is okay, but 8 - 10 weeks is just bad communication.  Maybe they meant 11 weeks.  Either way it should be corrected.  Anyone here had any books go through CCS express recently?  If so, what was the turnaround time?

JP

The CCS website itself does show all tiers except Walk through as 10-12 weeks. And Walk Through at 4-6 weeks.   This information hasn't been updated or changed in forever.  The information in CGC's "services and fees" page is constantly updated and no doubt correct.  I had a walk through last month that spent about two weeks getting both prescreened then pressed.  So I would say the 11 day estimate for your express pressing submission is pretty accurate. 

On 7/16/2017 at 1:04 AM, Tony S said:

The CCS website itself does show all tiers except Walk through as 10-12 weeks. And Walk Through at 4-6 weeks.   This information hasn't been updated or changed in forever.  The information in CGC's "services and fees" page is constantly updated and no doubt correct.  I had a walk through last month that spent about two weeks getting both prescreened then pressed.  So I would say the 11 day estimate for your express pressing submission is pretty accurate. 

Thank you Tony!

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

You could learn to press comics yourself and save a lot of time/money, that's what I did.  

Tony was right on the time.  It ended up being 7 days but I didn't get good results at all so Wont be going that route again.  But, lesson learned.  I will eventually give pressing a shot but right now I'm researching as much as I can about paper conservation, techniques etc.  I've read hundreds of pages and havent even got to pressing yet!  But, with that said, I sometimes submit books I would rather have a pro press.  Maybe some day I'd be comfortable with it but not in the distant foreseeable future.  I've got my goto and have yet to have anything but positive results with them.

54 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Tony was right on the time.  It ended up being 7 days but I didn't get good results at all so Wont be going that route again.  But, lesson learned.  I will eventually give pressing a shot but right now I'm researching as much as I can about paper conservation, techniques etc.  I've read hundreds of pages and havent even got to pressing yet!  But, with that said, I sometimes submit books I would rather have a pro press.  Maybe some day I'd be comfortable with it but not in the distant foreseeable future.  I've got my goto and have yet to have anything but positive results with them.

It's really not that hard. I used to think "What if I screw this up??"  but it's really just another book. Practice on cheap books first.  

18 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

it's really just another book....

Until the time comes that it's not just another book.  I'd love to learn how to as well, but I'd have to practice on hundreds of books from all ages and conditions before I attempt a valuable book.

Jerome

21 hours ago, comicquant said:

Didn't like how the book(s) looked after the press or the grades weren't what you were hoping for/expecting? hm

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Didn't like how the book(s) looked after the press or the grades weren't what you were hoping for/expecting? hm

Initially the grade wasn't what I had expected which isn't really here nor there.  However, I received the book today and the colors don't seem as vibrant and there are still a couple of visible creases that I would think are fixable.  There are even a couple of scratches on the bottom of the book I don't believe were there before, but I'll have to look at the pics to confirm.  Admittedly, grading seems to be excruciatingly tight right now but my first experience with CCS was not a stellar one.  Conversely, today I received the grades for a batch I sent to CFP (who I've used for every other book I've ever had pressed) for cleaning and pressing and as usual the results exceeded my expectations.  An ASM #17 CPR that went in a 6.0 and came out a 7.5, an ASM 135 that was a 9.2 came back a 9.6 and an ASM #124 that went in a 9.0 and came out a 9.4.  So for me, it was a lesson learned; quick turnaround and 4x the cost don't necessarily yield great results.  

Edited by comicquant

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Initially the grade wasn't what I had expected which isn't really here nor there.  However, today I received the book today and the colors don't seem as vibrant and there are still a couple of visible creases that I would think are fixable.  There are even a couple of scratches on the bottom of the book I don't believe were there before, but I'll have to look at the pics to confirm.  Admittedly, grading seems to be excruciatingly tight right now but my first experience with CCS was not a stellar one.  Conversely, today I received the grades for a batch I sent to CFP (who I've used for every other book I've ever had pressed) for cleaning and pressing and as usual the results exceeded my expectations.  An ASM #17 CPR that went in a 6.0 and came out a 7.5, an ASM 135 that was a 9.2 came back a 9.6 and an ASM #124 that went in a 9.0 and came out a 9.4.  So for me, it was a lesson learned; quick turnaround and 4x the cost don't necessarily yield great results.  

Thanks for the details.  Very interesting. 

On 8/1/2017 at 9:43 PM, comicquant said:

Initially the grade wasn't what I had expected which isn't really here nor there.  However, I received the book today and the colors don't seem as vibrant and there are still a couple of visible creases that I would think are fixable.  There are even a couple of scratches on the bottom of the book I don't believe were there before, but I'll have to look at the pics to confirm.  Admittedly, grading seems to be excruciatingly tight right now but my first experience with CCS was not a stellar one.  Conversely, today I received the grades for a batch I sent to CFP (who I've used for every other book I've ever had pressed) for cleaning and pressing and as usual the results exceeded my expectations.  An ASM #17 CPR that went in a 6.0 and came out a 7.5, an ASM 135 that was a 9.2 came back a 9.6 and an ASM #124 that went in a 9.0 and came out a 9.4.  So for me, it was a lesson learned; quick turnaround and 4x the cost don't necessarily yield great results.  

Okay, that does it.  After 44 years of comic collecting, I have never had a book pressed.  But it's time.  I was about to ship some books off to CGC for grading, and decided that quite a number of them really need a press.  So I shopped around, read the opinions of those who've been down this road before, and I've come to the conclusion that the right choice for me is @joeypost