• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the thread 'Newbie Comic Collecting Questions' for real ?
1 1

99 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Based on a brief, what is the appropriate number of incorrect spellings to participate while not doing too many to seem obvious?

Actually this is a good point. If you don't take the time to proof read a one or two sentence question, how seriously are we supposed to take you ? I really like to help the newbies with the basics but I just like to know it is a serious question from a real newbie, not a shill.

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
43 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Based on a brief, what is the appropriate number of incorrect spellings to participate while not doing too many to seem obvious?

Actually this is a good point. If you don't take the time to proof read a one or two sentence question, how seriously are we supposed to take you ? I really like to help the newbies with the basics but I just like to know it is a serious question from a real newbie, not a shill.

To me, many seem to be English as a second language, so you might cut them some slack.

24 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

To me, many seem to be English as a second language, so you might cut them some slack.

Good point. If it's a matter of sentence structure or possibly spelling in a context sense (their vs there) I totally agree. But if it's just plain bad spelling (tacking vs tracking), my Spidey Sense usually thinks lazy. Hey, I make typos and misspell also but, after rereading, I correct them. especially in the Title. There is also a spell check here. 

27 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
56 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Good point. If it's a matter of sentence structure or possibly spelling in a context sense (their vs there) I totally agree. But if it's just plain bad spelling (tacking vs tracking), my Spidey Sense usually thinks lazy. Hey, I make typos and misspell also but, after rereading, I correct them. especially in the Title. There is also a spell check here. 

When I'm on the IPad, it does all these hinky corrections that mess every thing up - it pizzes me off most of the time.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

just claim you're using an optical scanner.  Phonetics is the new Esperanza. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

the trouble with "Tacking Vs Tracking" is that spell check will have no problems with either word.  I actually type fast enough that I don't quite depress the keys on my laptop firmly enough. I have to go back and fill in the blanks. I do think that posts should be proof read however. Demon Spelling at work. It never sleeps ( or sheeps, or sleeks)

Edited by Glassman10

On 13/07/2017 at 10:02 PM, Architecht said:

We've been getting about 1k signups per month for a few months. I think many of these folks are newbs who never quite find the place/time to join the conversation. I figured it might be because they are intimidated asking really inexperienced questions when so much of the content around here is more expert.

So I figured I'd make a place for people to feel comfortable asking those questions, KNOWING (as I do) that everyone would be helpful and friendly to the new members. Right? :) :baiting:

Where are you getting those figures Arch? If I do a blank member search for the last month I get only 118 new members showing as joined. This is very much in line with the "So and so joined the community" advices you see in the 'all activity' screen. If it was 1K per month as you say, we'd be seeing over 30 of those advices per day wouldn't we?

1.thumb.PNG.7ae80adf5a6c7cb1ee96426911a35f7b.PNG 

2.PNG.1d1da74fe7978db5cab7abe853988848.PNG

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Where are you getting those figures Arch? If I do a blank member search for the last month I get only 118 new members showing as joined. This is very much in line with the "So and so joined the community" advices you see in the 'all activity' screen. If it was 1K per month as you say, we'd be seeing over 30 of those advices per day wouldn't we?

1.thumb.PNG.7ae80adf5a6c7cb1ee96426911a35f7b.PNG 

2.PNG.1d1da74fe7978db5cab7abe853988848.PNG

You cannot see new signups that have made zero posts, but I can.

1 minute ago, Architecht said:

You cannot see new signups that have made zero posts, but I can.

Cool, thanks.  Great to see that so many people are joining, but a shame so few are actually posting. Wonder why I don't see them joining in the all activity screen though?

Arch - what is this new 'pending approval' I'm seeing all of a sudden:

3.thumb.PNG.d0d3853a93751741c0372b9219c99285.PNG

Is that to head off all these silly questions we keep getting? 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Cool, thanks.  Great to see that so many people are joining, but a shame so few are actually posting. Wonder why I don't see them joining in the all activity screen though?

Yes, they are queued for approval so that we can make sure to only include frequently asked question in the resource, as opposed to inquiries that are too specific.

It looks like your posts were deleted, though. I think that's because someone who normally handles "Ask CGC" (as opposed to ask moderation) saw those questions in an approval queue and removed them as inappropriate for "Ask CGC".

I'm following up, but for the moment your questions are gone. :( Sorry about that.

Normally they would have sat there in an unapproved state until I could review (or another admin) and decide whether to approve and answer them, or remove them.

4 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Yes, they are queued for approval so that we can make sure to only include frequently asked question in the resource, as opposed to inquiries that are too specific.

It looks like your posts were deleted, though. I think that's because someone who normally handles "Ask CGC" (as opposed to ask moderation) saw those questions in an approval queue and removed them as inappropriate for "Ask CGC".

I'm following up, but for the moment your questions are gone. :( Sorry about that.

Normally they would have sat there in an unapproved state until I could review (or another admin) and decide whether to approve and answer them, or remove them.

Never mind.  These things happen. I was just after some clarity on the new moderation process - points replacing strikes leading to suspensions etc - and your / admins view on whether it would help to keep a channel open to suspended members to challenge during the suspension period.  Cgcmod0 was going to look into that for me if you can find him/her. Or it's all in my last post in the "I hate the new boards" thread if you can bring yourself to go back there :wink:

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, ygogolak said:

Ignorance.jpg

I think it's a great idea.  My other collectible of choice is coins.  I'm in my 50's, but I do remember being in my 40's and realizing that I was the youngest person in the room at coin shows.  And now coins are sputtering and those coin collectors wish they had the new entrants/demographics that we do.  They didn't foster them, and they are paying the price.  We should do all we can to encourage collecting among the youngsters.  They will be the ones buying our books.  I hate it when noobs get thrashed...so wrong and so short-sighted.

On 24/07/2017 at 6:14 PM, Architecht said:
On 24/07/2017 at 4:31 PM, Marwood & I said:

@Architecht

Hi Arch,

Did you follow up / find my two questions? If they are lost, are you able to answer them from the post in the 'I hate the new boards' thread? Thanks

I noticed that the recent update did a little more than Dena indicated in her advance downtime warning post. Not sure if this has been flagged already but the site is now very red, especially on a mobile:

597b182deb778_2017-07-28coke.thumb.jpg.30fcc2727a35509b58216a15d082dd2d.jpg

I liked the previous black/red/silver heading style and thought it looked quite classy. Now the site looks like a coke can. 

Also, I'm surprised to see the new spread of 'like' options and thought that might have been a significant enough change for you to have flagged in advance or at least explained? You don't need to be a genius to work out what they are but I don't recall anyone asking for this change and I seem to recall that you once said you would not introduce 'negative' response buttons as they could encourage hostility. Is the 'sad' supposed to indicate sadness as in "sorry your cat died" or could it be used in the "you are a sad case" vein? You know how board members contrive to do the opposite of what you intend so this could easily become the recognised way of disliking a post and a way of ganging up on someone?

On a technical point, do all the options count as a 'point' towards a members reputation score? If someone is 'confused' by a post, or finds it 'sad' in the negative sense, does  it make sense for them to form part of a users reputation? Please, give us a little explanation of why you have taken this path unilaterally (and I only say that because you have recently asked people to give their views on moving sub forums etc)

Finally, could I cheekily invite @rob_react to like or perhaps be confused by this post? I'm dying to see "rob_react reacted to this" (thumbsu

As ever, "release the hounds"!

One other point, has @Architecht stopped working? In my last post it didn't appear as a blacked out block. I've taken a pic before posting this to check again:

Capture.PNG.19d9f090ebdc2ad23b1fb8590a2fc48e.PNG

Just now, Marwood & I said:

One other point, has @Architecht stopped working? In my last post it didn't appear as a blacked out block. I've taken a pic before posting this to check again:

Capture.PNG.19d9f090ebdc2ad23b1fb8590a2fc48e.PNG

....it's not bolded out in the actual post, so I assume you haven't been flagged?

Sorry Arch, but I've found another problem. In my 'Marvel Pence Price Variant' thread there is a post in which I include a link to my 'L Miller' thread:

3.thumb.PNG.e875b7b89f11e9ac3f57c942552e1988.PNG

The thread link has been replaced with a shot of the CGC title menu. The 'CGC' wording and functions appear to 'activate' when you hover over them, but then do nothing. Very odd.  I have other examples if you need them. 

Don't forget my other points in the preceding posts here if you happen across this.

Cheers

@Architecht

30 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Sorry Arch, but I've found another problem. In my 'Marvel Pence Price Variant' thread there is a post in which I include a link to my 'L Miller' thread:

3.thumb.PNG.e875b7b89f11e9ac3f57c942552e1988.PNG

The thread link has been replaced with a shot of the CGC title menu. The 'CGC' wording and functions appear to 'activate' when you hover over them, but then do nothing. Very odd.  I have other examples if you need them. 

Don't forget my other points in the preceding posts here if you happen across this.

Cheers

@Architecht

I've noticed a lot of these messed up links myself. It appears to be happening a lot when something was linked to something that is within the site and automatically embedded.
Here is an example of a random link I posted to a book in the grading forum: 

and here is that same link without the embedded and "display as a link instead" selected.
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/414193-pgm-daredevi-1/

An easy to find example would be @1Cool signature (which should be a link to his kudos thread.)

Edited by DeadOne
very strange that those tags are not showing up as tagged