• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the thread 'Newbie Comic Collecting Questions' for real ?
1 1

99 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, Marwood & I said:

Cool, thanks.  Great to see that so many people are joining, but a shame so few are actually posting. Wonder why I don't see them joining in the all activity screen though?

We've removed "X joined the community" messages from the all activity page.

We want members to be private until they actually get involved in the community (IE, until they make a post).

If there was a way to show when someone makes their first post in all activity (as opposed to when they view the boards for the first time), we would do it. Maybe Invision will add that feature at some point in the future.

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

One other point, has @Architecht stopped working? In my last post it didn't appear as a blacked out block. I've taken a pic before posting this to check again:

Capture.PNG.19d9f090ebdc2ad23b1fb8590a2fc48e.PNG

It wasn't working for me last night  -  I tried to summer the elder demon jimmers several times to no avail.  :sorry:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I noticed that the recent update did a little more than Dena indicated in her advance downtime warning post. Not sure if this has been flagged already but the site is now very red, especially on a mobile:

597b182deb778_2017-07-28coke.thumb.jpg.30fcc2727a35509b58216a15d082dd2d.jpg

I liked the previous black/red/silver heading style and thought it looked quite classy. Now the site looks like a coke can. 

The boards were updated to look more like the main CGC site (ex: https://www.cgccomics.com/mobile/) as part of yesterday's upgrade. Just like how the NGC boards were updated to look more like the main NGC site.

Also, I'm surprised to see the new spread of 'like' options and thought that might have been a significant enough change for you to have flagged in advance or at least explained? You don't need to be a genius to work out what they are but I don't recall anyone asking for this change and I seem to recall that you once said you would not introduce 'negative' response buttons as they could encourage hostility. Is the 'sad' supposed to indicate sadness as in "sorry your cat died" or could it be used in the "you are a sad case" vein? You know how board members contrive to do the opposite of what you intend so this could easily become the recognised way of disliking a post and a way of ganging up on someone?

On a technical point, do all the options count as a 'point' towards a members reputation score? If someone is 'confused' by a post, or finds it 'sad' in the negative sense, does  it make sense for them to form part of a users reputation? Please, give us a little explanation of why you have taken this path unilaterally (and I only say that because you have recently asked people to give their views on moving sub forums etc)

One thing that's different about the new boards compared to the old boards is that they will be regularly updated with cool new features. The boards vendor (Invision) has a large customer base (we are just one of their many customers) and those customers make all sorts of requests for cool new functions they could build. Invision reviews those requests, picks the best ones, builds those features, and then rolls those features out to their customers in the form of upgrades. We don't get to dictate which features they build for us (although often times we have the ability to turn features off if we don't want them, and we exercise this option regularly :wink:).

The new "Reactions" feature you're describing seems like a nice, fun improvement over the old "like" system. It's more like what modern users are accustomed to on other social networks (facebook, etc). 

Here is Invision's announcement about the Reactions feature. Read this to find more details about how it works: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/new-reactions-r1016/. Some of the language is directed more towards customers like us than end users like you, but you'll get a pretty good jist of how it works.

We have it configured so that the "Like", "Haha", and "Thanks" options count as +1 reputation. The "Sad" and "Confused" options are neutral for reputation.

I also notice that my "likes" (they were actually 3-4 sads on the previous page) are wiped out after I change pages.  I don't know if they are still there, but invisible or what.  I reposted them twice and they've disappeared again.  :p

Edited by lizards2

• Administrator

One other point, has @Architecht stopped working? In my last post it didn't appear as a blacked out block. I've taken a pic before posting this to check again:

Capture.PNG.19d9f090ebdc2ad23b1fb8590a2fc48e.PNG

These  are still working - I've gotten several notifications about people mentioning me recently.

Yesterday's upgrade involved significant updates to the site themes (which control how everything looks on the boards). I'm guessing that something got messed up in the themes so that the @ mentions are no longer being styled distinctly, which we'll take a look at and try to fix. But I believe that the function is working correctly.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Sorry Arch, but I've found another problem. In my 'Marvel Pence Price Variant' thread there is a post in which I include a link to my 'L Miller' thread:

3.thumb.PNG.e875b7b89f11e9ac3f57c942552e1988.PNG

The thread link has been replaced with a shot of the CGC title menu. The 'CGC' wording and functions appear to 'activate' when you hover over them, but then do nothing. Very odd.  I have other examples if you need them. 

Weird. We'll take a look at this too.

• Administrator

Regarding the @ mentions, you may have to click the option in the little menu that loads as you're typing so that it knows which user you are trying to mention. I think someone else may have already suggested this.

For example, if I type in @Marwood & I and never click the menu option, it might not be treated as a mention. Which kind of makes sense, because what if there was also a user named "Marwood"... how would it know that I wasn't trying to mention him instead of you?

But if I type @Marwood & I and click the option in the menu before typing the word "and", I think it IS treated as a mention. The styling shows up immediately after clicking it in the menu, but seems to disappear after saving. Hopefully we can fix that.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I also notice that my "likes" (they were actually 3-4 sads on the previous page) are wiped out after I change pages.  I don't know if they are still there, but invisible or what.  I reposted them twice and they've disappeared again.  :p

Weird! I was able to choose the "sad" reply to your post.

What operating system and browser / browser version are you using? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly)

Thanks for all your responses @Scott =) !

You are prompt, professional and informative :applause:

I did select your @ prompt from the drop down list. Hope it works this time :headbang:

Also, I'm surprised to see the new spread of 'like' options and thought that might have been a significant enough change for you to have flagged in advance or at least explained? You don't need to be a genius to work out what they are but I don't recall anyone asking for this change and I seem to recall that you once said you would not introduce 'negative' response buttons as they could encourage hostility. Is the 'sad' supposed to indicate sadness as in "sorry your cat died" or could it be used in the "you are a sad case" vein? You know how board members contrive to do the opposite of what you intend so this could easily become the recognised way of disliking a post and a way of ganging up on someone?

Believe it or not, someone did ask for that.  :shy:    
I still want my *spoon* filter on/off option.  rantrant

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Believe it or not, someone did ask for that.  :shy:    
I still want my *spoon* filter on/off option.  rantrant

Aha! Before my time @bababooey :/

I like the spoon filter idea. As long as all offending words were in the 'blocked' list, that could work for those of us who feel a good expletive can enhance a point hm

What do you think of these here confused and sads ?

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

@Scott =) In the above link I just posted, I used the url link from my post & it grabbed that text, as you can see.  The clickable areas in the formatted hyperlink seem to redirect people to a point other than my post.

Interesting. The destination varies depending on which part of the preview I click. If I click your avatar, I'm brought to your profile. If I click anything else in the top section, I'm brought to your post. If I click the area about the thread your post is in, I'm brought to the first or last post in the thread. All of that behavior seems reasonable.

It looks like the preview function is only working for links to specific posts. Links to a thread, or a specific page of a thread just show the red header hm

1 minute ago, Scott =) said:

Interesting. The destination varies depending on which part of the preview I click. If I click your avatar, I'm brought to your profile. If I click anything else in the top section, I'm brought to your post. If I click the area about the thread your post is in, I'm brought to the first or last post in the thread.

It looks like the preview function is only working for links to specific posts. Links to a thread, or a specific page of a thread just show the red header hm

It's all gone Peter Tong @Scott =)

Go kick some Invision derriere for us :headbang:

5 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

Interesting. The destination varies depending on which part of the preview I click. If I click your avatar, I'm brought to your profile. If I click anything else in the top section, I'm brought to your post. If I click the area about the thread your post is in, I'm brought to the first or last post in the thread.

OK I see now, I didn't do any clicking in the grey area but when hovering over the previewed content I saw links. doh!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Scott =) said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Weird! I was able to choose the "sad" reply to your post.

What operating system and browser / browser version are you using? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly)

Windows 7 on Firefox

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Windows 7 on Firefox

I'm using Windows 7 too, and I was able to react sadly to your post here in Firefox too. I'm also using the same theme as you.

One thing you CAN'T do is react to your own posts. You also can't react to certain user groups (admins, etc).

9 minutes ago, Scott =) said:
22 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Windows 7 on Firefox

I'm using Windows 7 too, and I was able to react sadly to your post here in Firefox too. I'm also using the same theme as you.

One thing you CAN'T do is react to your own posts. You also can't react to certain user groups (admins, etc).

They were all for Marwood and I - maybe that's the problem:  Can't decide whether to allocate them to Marwood or I.

16 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

One cool thing is that you can't put a Mod on Ignore.  If you think someone is a secret Mod, try putting them on Ignore.