• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the thread 'Newbie Comic Collecting Questions' for real ?
1 1

99 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Pitboss said:

Create a shill account,ask a dumb question and never log in again :baiting:

:wink:

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Seriously, is this a real thread ? The questions are so unbelievable it has to be a joke .

Arch has a sense of humor, but this is no joke:

However, most of the initial batch of posts read like they are.

Theoretically, it's a potential hotbed o' fun, a never-ending Friday thread.

hm

Maybe it's really supposed to be a shill trap. Instead of hiding behind a billboard in an interceptor, Arch is trying to lure malefactors who can't resist attempting to stir the pot.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dick Pontoon said:

hm

Maybe it's really supposed to be a shill trap. Instead of hiding behind a billboard in an interceptor, Arch is trying to lure malefactors who can't resist attempting to stir the pot.

We've been getting about 1k signups per month for a few months. I think many of these folks are newbs who never quite find the place/time to join the conversation. I figured it might be because they are intimidated asking really inexperienced questions when so much of the content around here is more expert.

So I figured I'd make a place for people to feel comfortable asking those questions, KNOWING (as I do) that everyone would be helpful and friendly to the new members. Right? :) :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Architecht said:
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

hm

We've been getting about 1k signups per month for a few months. I think many of these folks are newbs who never quite find the place/time to join the conversation. I figured it might be because they are intimidated asking really inexperienced questions when so much of the content around here is more expert.

So I figured I'd make a place for people to feel comfortable asking those questions, KNOWING (as I do) that everyone would be helpful and friendly to the new members. Right? :) :baiting:

Only 1 K per month?  That sounds like it is just Stu. :baiting:

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Only 1 K per month?  That sounds like it is just Stu. :baiting:

I would have to believe at least 500 of those are his lol

He rips them out pretty fast, especially when he's got a bee under his bonnet.  :gossip:

Intimidation is a genuine obstacle to learning. Everyone got their very first Book at some point. Most had their very first book slabbed at some point.  Some people are learning what "Slabbed " means. I actually think that Bomber Bob's answers were really good.  I have gone from knowing nothing to knowing very little in about a six month period. Some people have been remarkably kind here and some not so much. Having a space for the equivalent of a "No Fault" question in my mind is really good for everyone and raises the tide around all boats eventually. Most of the people here sell books. View this as an opportunity to sell more books at the least and an opportunity to educate at the best.   

5 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Intimidation is a genuine obstacle to learning. Everyone got their very first Book at some point. Most had their very first book slabbed at some point.  Some people are learning what "Slabbed " means. I actually think that Bomber Bob's answers were really good.  I have gone from knowing nothing to knowing very little in about a six month period. Some people have been remarkably kind here and some not so much. Having a space for the equivalent of a "No Fault" question in my mind is really good for everyone and raises the tide around all boats eventually. Most of the people here sell books. View this as an opportunity to sell more books at the least and an opportunity to educate at the best.   

It's important to remember, though, that an expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less.

16 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

We used to say that an expert is someone 25 miles from home with a briefcase.

I think some of our experts lose social function (and credibility) through their righteousness.