• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, namisgr said:

The discussion was centered on the 'big 3 books' of the hobby.  I pointed out that Marvel Comics #1 was one of the big 3, and AF15 was only the third most highly valued SA comic.  Then things changed, and the value of Marvel Comics #1 didn't keep pace with other major keys.  The example stands: a comic isn't guaranteed to remain a big 3 book for the hobby forever, and even the most highly valued keys can lose out to other comics in supply/demand.  The point stands as well: the stellar recent past performance of AF15 in terms of valuation may or may not be sustained over the coming years, but since past performance doesn't guarantee future value nobody can say with certainty that the price of the book won't flat-line.

That is true but your forgetting the biggest rule of thumb.. Superman,Batman,Spiderman are the top 3 characters of our century. And those at best will stay strong just as Coke as remained top cola for over 100yrs

12 hours ago, namisgr said:

The discussion was centered on the 'big 3 books' of the hobby.  I pointed out that Marvel Comics #1 was one of the big 3, and AF15 was only the third most highly valued SA comic.  Then things changed, and the value of Marvel Comics #1 didn't keep pace with other major keys.  The example stands: a comic isn't guaranteed to remain a big 3 book for the hobby forever, and even the most highly valued keys can lose out to other comics in supply/demand.  The point stands as well: the stellar recent past performance of AF15 in terms of valuation may or may not be sustained over the coming years, but since past performance doesn't guarantee future value nobody can say with certainty that the price of the book won't flat-line.

AF 15 is the most expensive silver age comic of all time.. If it's the 3rd most expensive SA comic then what's the first Silver age that trumps it?  I think u made a typo ?

1 hour ago, Kalel38 said:

AF 15 is the most expensive silver age comic of all time.. If it's the 3rd most expensive SA comic then what's the first Silver age that trumps it?  I think u made a typo ?

Reading comprehension is your friend.  I'll repost the part about changing valuations over time:

In Overstreet 22, the top valued SA comics were, in order, Showcase #4, Fantastic Four #1, and Amazing Fantasy #15.  Marvel Comics #1 was the third most valued comic overall, behind Action #1 and Detective #27.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Reading comprehension is your friend.  I'll repost the part about changing valuations over time:

In Overstreet 22, the top valued SA comics were, in order, Showcase #4, Fantastic Four #1, and Amazing Fantasy #15.  Marvel Comics #1 was the third most valued comic overall, behind Action #1 and Detective #27.

First off you were talking about SA books and prices not Golden age books.. You're bouncing around from SA to Goden age which is it? . First off Overstreet 22 is a dinosaur when it comes to guide pricing and your talking past tense.. No silver age book has ever valued more then 1.1 million not Showcase 4 nor FF #1 or Marvel comics #1 to a Rick and Morty #1.. 

Edited by Kalel38
Mistake

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

@Kalel38

You're (not your) missing the point.

The 'top' characters can and do change over time. It's not a constant.

@Vintage comics.. I agree "top" characters can change over time but you're not understanding one thing. Spiderman has been top character with fans and children for as long as the early 60s. That makes it what over 50+ yrs now.. He's not going anywhere out of the top list anytime now or in the near future. Fact 

2 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

@Vintage comics.. I agree "top" characters can change over time but you're not understanding one thing. Spiderman has been top character with fans and children for as long as the early 60s. That makes it what over 50+ yrs now.. He's not going anywhere out of the top list anytime now or in the near future. Fact 

Are you kidding...You just said that Overstreet 22 is a dinosaur (that is what 25 years ago) when AF15 wasn't the top dog.  I don't know when FF1 and SC4 finally were toppled by AF15 but are you so inclined to say that AF15 will always remain at the top?  Just like not even 5 years ago it was AF15, Hulk 1 and SC4 and almost everyone said IH1 will never be outed by SC4 and here we are not even a few years later and SC4 outsells IH1.  Things change.  Yes spidey is old and popular...no denying that.  Doesn't mean it will stay that way forever.

*All you have to do is look at FF for this to show you exactly why what was once #1 can fall (even though they are 50+ years old ;) )

Edited by Iceman399

4 hours ago, Kalel38 said:
9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

@Kalel38

You're (not your) missing the point.

The 'top' characters can and do change over time. It's not a constant.

I've been collecting comics since I bought my 1st one off the newsstands in 1975.

How old are you? You sound young. Not that age is a reflection of someone's intelligence but experience is a very different thing than book learning.

I was in my early teens when Fantastic Four #1 was the top Silver Age Marvel and they are still my favorite SA title.

Also, can I see the certification for your crystal ball which is able to tell the future and throw out 'facts' that haven't come to pass yet?

lol

I am not disagreeing that Spider-man is popular and near the top right now. I'm just disagreeing that something is automatically on top for ever just because it's on top right now.

What I am arguing is that it will never change.  NOBODY knows that for sure and people have been wrong for years about it.

32 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I've been collecting comics since I bought my 1st one off the newsstands in 1975.

How old are you? You sound young. Not that age is a reflection of someone's intelligence but experience is a very different thing than book learning.

I was in my early teens when Fantastic Four #1 was the top Silver Age Marvel and they are still my favorite SA title.

Also, can I see the certification for your crystal ball which is able to tell the future and throw out 'facts' that haven't come to pass yet?

lol

I am not disagreeing that Spider-man is popular and near the top right now. I'm just disagreeing that something is automatically on top for ever just because it's on top right now.

What I am arguing is that it will never change.  NOBODY knows that for sure and people have been wrong for years about it.

To All: Comics & characters should be always on top in our hearts not on paper & wallets. It's good to see Spidey on top but there were many times when he was a bench player as Roy states above.  I purchased my first comic in 69 (Spidey annual number 6) and fell in love (a great book to fall in love with....all the villains on the cover...I was hooked). Purchased my first AF15 in 86, a 0.5, and did not care if he was on top. I really don't care where he ranks as he will always be in my heart. Here's proof. 

16.jpg

Edited by peewee22

When you look at the interest and wild swings of scope and emotion ANY thread about AF15 bring it really enforces one thought to me: This book is legend. Its sheer existence and CGC footprint brings up incredible passions and disagreements. What other comic book really has ever done that? What other collectable in general. That tells me this is something special and probably why none of the normal pricing/supply-demand rules apply that much.

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

AF15s have no steering wheels.

And as some would say, that's why they are also prone to crashing back down to earth or hitting a brick wall, as much as staying on the straight and narrow path upwards.  hm   lol

Edited by lou_fine