• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2017 at 6:25 PM, peewee22 said:

I agree. I think he made a cool choice but my '06 GMC Canyon is still alive and well.

Guys like Gene and other BSDs have so much cash to throw around, he isn't worried about an AF 15, he can get one anytime. 

51 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Guys like Gene and other BSDs have so much cash to throw around, he isn't worried about an AF 15, he can get one anytime. 

Nice to know that. Now a lot of us will sleep better tonight.

Edited by peewee22

On 7/25/2017 at 10:31 AM, Jordysnordy said:
On 7/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe they are supposed to declare everything that has a value greater than a certain dollar amount and then pay the applicable duty.

I believe there used to be a customs duty charge on comic books, but this had been slowly reduced and now fully eliminated over the years with the free trade agreement in place between the 2 countries.  You still have to pay either the PST, GST, or HST depending upon the province you live in and which one of these 3 taxes applies.  hm

We still pay duty on comic books. You can have the sender mark books as the duty rate is lower on books than comics - go figure.

Just noticed my FedEx receipt that I received a month ago from Metro with the books that I won from the Jon Berk auction.

Invoice description was marked as "Used Comic Books" and Customs Duty was calculated as $0.00, but had to pay only the 5% GST tax plus an additional $10.00 handling or processing fee.  :gossip:

Hence, as I said earlier, Custom duties no longer applies to comic books shipped from the USA into Canada and has been that way for awhile now.  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

On 23/07/2017 at 9:19 PM, peewee22 said:

I prefer Blancpain over Rolex. :bigsmile:

On 23/07/2017 at 9:50 PM, NoMan said:

Fifty Fathoms (from the 50s) :luhv: not the modern oversized monstrosities  :pullhair:

I have the Seiko £120 version of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

More budget-priced, like my comic collecting.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, robhat78 said:

I know there are a few af15 related threads on here, but I felt like this was probably a separate discussion.  My bad if this has already been addressed in one of them.

As most, if not all, of us know, the price of af15 has skyrocketed in the past 3-5 years or so.  A mid grade that used to go for $5-$7k at auction is now commanding over $25k.  Craziness. 

I've been collecting since the late 80s, and can't personally remember any one comic jumping so much in value in such a short amount of time?  But maybe there are 1 or 2 I'm overlooking?

Anyway, I was having this discussion with my brother the other day.  Wondering if this current value for the book will hold and steadily keep rising, or if it's set for a crash.  I feel like the popularity in Marvel movies and Marvel getting back Spidey rights has definitely helped this book go up in value, but of course there are factors as well.  

I doubt I'll ever have the cash to own this book if it does hold it's value, which really sucks because I'm a few non-key books (not counting ASM1) away from having ASM 2-400.  At least ASM1 can still be had for a remotely reasonable price I guess.

So do you guys see this book coming back down to earth in price any time soon, or you think it will only continue to go up??

6 minutes ago, stephankeisman said:

I eat Marvel Zombots for dinner. Timely rules  and  I hate the pushers of post '65 ! So much toilet paper!

Well done, 4 posts and you're already calling the comics I've read and collected for the past 45 years trash.  You must be a delight in person.

Edited by namisgr

38 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

+1, back to af15 we go

On that note, what are everyone's opinions on the 5.0 that finished at 38k on heritage yesterday? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-fn-50-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91168.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

1 hour ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Pretty good price for the seller since it has mc.   30 percent deduction for mc.   Although it appears copiea 2.5 and below do not follow the mc deduction rule/thinking

I wish I had a dog in this fight.  I owned an AF15 for about 20 minutes back in the 90's and traded it for a nicer ASM1.

Here's my thought about the AF15s.  A collectible will rise in value at a certain rate, like an inch worm climbing a tree.  The more blue chip it is, the more the movement will be nearly continuous. Second and third bananas move like inch worms that move more erratically.  Third bananas sometimes only move in a very hot market  (which is a great way to tell if a market is hot).   ANYWAY, sometimes prices will get ahead of itself and fall back.  Sometimes prices will form a bubble, but that's less likely with blue chip material.  The faster it rises, the more likely it's in a bubble.  To me, a bubble is formed when people are buying things not because they necessarily love that thing, but because it is rising in value. In my years of experience investing in stuff, I've learned that when something is moving up in price very fast, that's a bubble and don't be a pig.   IMHO, the AF15 is getting "bubbly".  You know you're in a bubble when everyone is discussing the investment aspects of that collectible, as they are here. and they are in general disagreement.  Like stocks, when the volume of sales is way up because there is a divergence between those who think it's topped and those who don't, creating rapid sales, that's a "volume spike" which often signals a turn-around point.  Are they selling fast right now?  Faster than usual?  (I'm asking...I don't know).

Those of you who believe it won't backslide, have to realize that if it stalls and begins to dip, people will see their "profit" eroding, and decide it's a good time to sell, causing it's price drop to accelerate.  Then the price will drop fast.  The buyers will disappear when they realize it will be cheaper next month than it is right now, making it even worse.  If I see this happening, that's when I'll jump in...when blood is in the streets.

Disclaimer:  I'd love to have one, and if I had one today, I wouldn't sell it ever.

Footnote:  I wrote some stuff about internal rate of return in my journal that's somewhat related to this discussion.  You shouldn't compare books like AF15 to Action 1 unless you also consider the age of the book.   It's all about internal rate of return.

Edited by Westy Steve

well, the AF15 isn't rare. It may be the case that's only being bought by speculators. I simply don't know. What I do think has driven the prices has been the simple notion of supply and demand. There's a ton of people who want the book compared to how many there are. I expect that the 7.5 and higher grades will not market frequently given the census but the lower grades are moving right now with competitors trying to get into that action before the easier to buy books get swallowed up. That at least is what I see in the 4.0 that went for $35K last month.  The book cost has really jumped since xmas.  I would not auction the book right now. There are a number of dealers that offer better terms to the seller and buyer as well. The notion of a sellers fee at 8% and the buyers  being 19% is cheeky.  Blazing Bob is handling mine and I'm in good hands.  Those premiums at auction are driving a lot of the final price. 

20 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I would not auction the book right now. There are a number of dealers that offer better terms to the seller and buyer as well. The notion of a sellers fee at 8% and the buyers  being 19% is cheeky.

There is only one auction house that charges a Buyer's Premium of 19.5%.  :gossip:

As far as I am aware, all of the other auction houses do not charge any Buyer's Premium at all.  (thumbsu