• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

To speak of AF15 in like terms of stock investing is completely ludicrous!  There is a finite number of truly investment grade Blue labeled books that is diminutive compared to the millions of shares of any one stock.  Although AF15 is quite a "liquid" book, you can't just "dump" it like you can stocks if prices look to be taking a downward turn.  

Indeed. I have a lot of VISA and MC I've gotten in the last six  years. It has actually outperformed 'the books" and I can sell it tomorrow. I'm keeping the stock and selling the book but not for the same reasons. The stock makes complete sense as an investment. The  book is really a passion.  I've had that AF15 for fifty years. Any further arguments just aren't rational.  Love what you love. 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Indeed. I have a lot of VISA and MC I've gotten in the last six  years. It has actually outperformed 'the books" and I can sell it tomorrow. I'm keeping the stock and selling the book but not for the same reasons. The stock makes complete sense as an investment. The  book is really a passion.  I've had that AF15 for fifty years. Any further arguments just aren't rational.  Love what you love. 

Yes, love what you love. But don't misinterpret what people are saying. AF15 is an investment. Not like a stock, but it's dollar returns are as green. (thumbsu

But if it represents a down home payment for the kid, by all means, fullfill that dream.

It's sort of scary as an investment. A repeat theme I keep seeing here is whether an offering is a fraud. I see posts about boxes arriving stuffed with brown paper. Ebay looks like the wild west to me. Cutting corners seems rampant. The discussion is so frequently about whether the book has been trimmed. Simply put it's chock full of shysters.  I have had a fair bit of contact with people who own the book. Many simply say they have a safe deposit box where they keep them. I hear from people who lost theirs in a flood or a fire. One in a tornado.  Mice seem to be a genuine destructive force as is heat and light. If you've had the book over fifty years, those factors are a lot to consider. When we opened up the boxes with all the books, there were two, but only two books utterly destroyed by mice and fortunately books I didn't even care for. The persisting damage was just being kept in boxes all that time but in 1967 safe storage wasn't really a discussion. White pages didn't get recognition until the mile high collection. 

When I sold the books to Bob, I kept the JIM and the Thor which really have never done anything as  thought of as value. That's really a relief for me in a odd way. I have the 125 Thors and JIM's in a single short box, on backer boards. I get them out now and read them . They will pass on to my son eventually if this old farmhouse doesn't burn down.  I have photos here of my kid reading the AF15 back in December. Candidly, it's a relief to have it gone and I had expected to feel great loss. But I found mine. It was never an investment. I don't flip comics.  

On 7/19/2017 at 2:50 AM, zhamlau said:
On 7/18/2017 at 5:54 PM, lou_fine said:
On 7/18/2017 at 11:05 AM, zhamlau said:

I think on the back end Spider-man will do better in terms of rental and international box office. If you take a look at foreign release WW split 50/50 where as Spider-man is like 45-55 dom/for.  That means Spider-man will do a solid percentage higher on foreign markets than US for seats filled. That's where Spider-man will have longer legs. Its much more digestible to a foreign market and will wind its way through multiple viewings better internationally than WW did.

+1

A much sounder and more thorough analysis and one which I would certainly have no problem agreeing with once you take into account the International box office receipts.  (thumbsu

Thank you. To be honest its really just the same analysis as before I just went into borderline painful detail (what I sometimes feel when i read some of my writing lol) instead of the previous broad strokes on the 2nd pass. I forget sometimes you can't always short hand RCA's to executive bullet points so I tend to just high level stuff. If you want to get your point across sometimes online sometimes you need to straddle that fine line between being too short where you leave a lot of gaps cause you're in the clouds, but not to long to be pedantic.

Not trying to bring up an old topic, but I just was going over reported Box Office for all For/Dom theater and I think its clear Spider-Man not only beat out WW but he also beat out GoTG to be the biggest comic book movie of the year (to date). People kept crapping on SM like it was suffering from "one-too-many" reboots, but that's just to narrow of a view on box office that's very regional in its thinking. The US is the single best market by a mile, no doubt. But a lot of times we think in terms of US sensibilities play everywhere in terms of entertainment. In general yes if it works here it works elsewhere, but its the nuances of how it translates that really tell the story. WW just didn't have quite the appeal SM did. People like Parker, they want to see his stories both in print and on the screen. WW doesn't enjoy the same appeal. I think in terms of sequel all things being equal, SM probably our performs WW again, and by a wider margin.

BOMOJO.JPG

Good info. I saw Homecoming and liked it (not loved it). Amazing to see it is near 900 mil in sales. Most 5th, 6th (?) movie remakes don't make that kind of money. I think worldwide fans are very clear in their take of continuous Spidey flicks.

They like them. 2c 

On 10/16/2017 at 3:37 PM, zhamlau said:

Not trying to bring up an old topic, but I just was going over reported Box Office for all For/Dom theater and I think its clear Spider-Man not only beat out WW but he also beat out GoTG to be the biggest comic book movie of the year (to date). People kept crapping on SM like it was suffering from "one-too-many" reboots, but that's just to narrow of a view on box office that's very regional in its thinking. The US is the single best market by a mile, no doubt. But a lot of times we think in terms of US sensibilities play everywhere in terms of entertainment. In general yes if it works here it works elsewhere, but its the nuances of how it translates that really tell the story. WW just didn't have quite the appeal SM did. People like Parker, they want to see his stories both in print and on the screen. WW doesn't enjoy the same appeal. I think in terms of sequel all things being equal, SM probably our performs WW again, and by a wider margin.

And Homecoming was no better than an OK to good movie.  There was nothing great about it, certainly not competitive with the first two Raimi films in terms of quality of story-telling, characters, etc.  Had Homecoming actually been a very good to excellent movie, it would easily have broken the $1 billion barrier.

7 minutes ago, zosocane said:

And Homecoming was no better than an OK to good movie.  There was nothing great about it, certainly not competitive with the first two Raimi films in terms of quality of story-telling, characters, etc.  Had Homecoming actually been a very good to excellent movie, it would easily have broken the $1 billion barrier.

Ill give you Spiderman 2, that was hands down the best spider-man film of all time. But i honestly put homecoming number 2 all time. It just felt right, it felt like Spider-man. I think it was a smart move not getting tied down to an uncle ben angle and really just go into the story and the world. I'm sure the sequel will be the origin "issue", but i felt this was great for what it was.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, namisgr said:

Well done, 4 posts and you're already calling the comics I've read and collected for the past 45 years trash.  You must be a delight in person.

AF15 CGC 7.0 sold on ComicLink for 132 500$.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1210851

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

On 8/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, namisgr said:

Well done, 4 posts and you're already calling the comics I've read and collected for the past 45 years trash.  You must be a delight in person.

AF15 CGC 7.0 sold on ComicLink for 132 500$.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1210851

Why are you quoting my response to a post that called Silver Age Marvels after 1965 and completist Marvel collectors trash?

There's no bigger character in the world period than Spiderman. The price increase reflects the huge gaps that exisisted between A1&Tec27 and AF15. Its time the gap closed and collectors see that. Yes there are more copies but there are more Spidey collectors as well. He's just to big of a character not to climb in price.

On 14/08/2017 at 6:10 AM, Spyderfan said:

To speak of AF15 in like terms of stock investing is completely ludicrous!  There is a finite number of truly investment grade Blue labeled books that is diminutive compared to the millions of shares of any one stock.  Although AF15 is quite a "liquid" book, you can't just "dump" it like you can stocks if prices look to be taking a downward turn.  

IMO, investing in AF15 is quite similar to stocks but better in some sense.

Companies can dilute/reverse ratio their stocks depending on their operation and market demands.

You can't dilute the original AF15. So if the demand increase and with only finite supply; demand>supply, price will only go up from there. 

The catch: Selling process is slower compare to selling stocks.

Having said that, most collectors get AF15 is because they want to own a piece of this famous yet rare collectables.