• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple stress allowable on a 9.4?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm shopping for a book right now in a 9.4 slab.  At the location of the lower staple is a dark area on the cover.  Seems like the only fairly priced examples of this book I can find in 9.4 show staple stress there in the form of small, thin white lines.  Is this allowable in a 9.4???

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

1 hour ago, Terrapin said:

They have to very tiny and not color breaking, however I've seen cgc 9.4s with small cb spine ticks. Depends if everything else is perfect like the corners and how old the book is. 

Actually, I've seen some pretty bad staple stress on a 9.4, even where it involved a tear. I think what can happen is the staple stress gets worse over time = it was smaller when CGC originally graded it. Pressure in the slab, an inner well wedge, book too snug in the slab, etc. can make things worse. I try to avoid books with staple stress.