• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Pickers: Superman #9 and Amazing Fantasy #15
2 2

105 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JJJCOMICS said:

The AF15 looked really really nice.  Would be fun to see where that actual comic lands.  Also saw they had an ASM 1 in the stack ...

I wonder what else the guy had. Probably was showing his best stuff because of the TV aspect. I sure would love to pick that room. The monster models at $150 was a little stiff in that condition. I hope he at least got the boxes as well. 

Maybe it was just me, but I would've been pretty peeved if I just hooked a guy up with a deal for way more money than the was asking and then he had the gall to give me a price of 750 on the Batman when the comic guy said it was worth 850.

Thanks a lot pal...a whole hundo.....maaaaybe.  .

I liked Comic Book Men and found it interesting at least. I have only seen the 1 season that they had on Netflix nearly 2 years ago lol they were still talking about Hurricane Sandy. Other than that I've seen nothing, I even did a photo-op with Jay and Silent Bob, and the first thing that I said was bring more to Netflix ;) , "oh I will" lol riiiight.

It's worth noting that I don't bother with cable...... meh hahahaha but I enjoy Netflix a bit 

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There is already a show like that. It's called Comic Book Men. Way better and it's totally not scripted!

Well to each their own.  I always felt like that show was Kevin Smith going on random tangents and once in a blue moon someone drops into the store with a book.  I want to see real auction consignments at the higher level through HA, Metropolis etc.

16 minutes ago, atomised said:

Well to each their own.  I always felt like that show was Kevin Smith going on random tangents and once in a blue moon someone drops into the store with a book.  I want to see real auction consignments at the higher level through HA, Metropolis etc.

There was a show that had metros 6 piece Frankenstein poster in it but I forget what is was called.

The guy was trying to get it consigned for auction but metro was not interested but what i found the most interesting was the story of finding the poster in an old rusted shut suitcase still in perfect condition.

1 minute ago, topofthetotem said:

There was a show that had metros 6 piece Frankenstein poster in it but I forget what is was called.

The guy was trying to get it consigned for auction but metro was not interested but what i found the most interesting was the story of finding the poster in an old rusted shut suitcase still in perfect condition.

That was Profiles in History which ran under the title Hollywood Treasures on SciFy.

Comic Book Men is so fake I can't stand it-- and it gives collectors and comic fans a bad name. 

Carbo did three or four episodes of his show and it runs on ConTV which is a Roku channel.

Just now, AndyFish said:

That was Profiles in History which ran under the title Hollywood Treasures on SciFy.

Comic Book Men is so fake I can't stand it-- and it gives collectors and comic fans a bad name. 

Carbo did three or four episodes of his show and it runs on ConTV which is a Roku channel.

One of our lovely boardies was featured on CBM (No, it wasn't Greggy. Although he is dreamy) and its staged, as a broadway play.

41 minutes ago, atomised said:

:whatthe:

Concerning signage... what is the legality though for having old NYC Department of Transportation signage especially the embossed high quality ones... ?

yadda yadda yadda... I have a friend who wants to know... yadda yadda yadda... 

2 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I also thought that Superman 9 would have been worth more. Looked really sharp and bright. I don't keep up with GA Supes much but it seemed cheap...

superman comics and most dc comics in general other than batman/tec  have always seemed to me to be worth less than you think, even the older stuff (barring action 1 or superman 1 and a few other keys, but even the keys are less sought after than their batman counterparts usually). 

In a similar vein, ask almost ANYONE you know other than Dwitkin82, and they'll say they like batman more than superman, whether they like comics or not.  How long have Batman/Tec comics combined for more sales than Action/Superman.  Why are Neal Adams Bats worth so much more than Neal Adams Supes?

32 minutes ago, revat said:

superman comics and most dc comics in general other than batman/tec  have always seemed to me to be worth less than you think, even the older stuff (barring action 1 or superman 1 and a few other keys, but even the keys are less sought after than their batman counterparts usually). 

In a similar vein, ask almost ANYONE you know other than Dwitkin82, and they'll say they like batman more than superman, whether they like comics or not.  How long have Batman/Tec comics combined for more sales than Action/Superman.  Why are Neal Adams Bats worth so much more than Neal Adams Supes?

Yea I agree. When I saw it I had a number in my head of 2 grand or something :whatthe: 

I suppose I was thinking of some higher grade earlier Action's that seemed to be stupid high on a comiclink auction. 

Poor Superman...first to be invented but still in Batman's shadow. 

Just watched the episode online...very cool. But I wonder why they didn't have any interest in the Spider-Man #1 that was visible under the AF 15? Would probably be worth the trip for another collector to pay that guy a visit in Alabama, heck if they were (at first) willing to sell the AF 15 for $10K, who knows what else he has that he's willing to part with at a fraction of market value! :cloud9:

On 7/15/2017 at 3:59 PM, thehumantorch said:

I really don't think there's any reason to plant items.  They're well known now and they must get a lot of opportunities to look at stuff whether it's a collector looking to show off their collection and get on tv or a hoarder who can't take care of their collection any longer or who have died.  I'm sure they go into a pick with a good idea of the heavy hitter items, why waste their time, but I'm sure they often find stuff they didn't know was there.

You have only to look at the finds thread here to see plenty of valuable stuff in the wild.  I don't see why they can't also run into that kind of stuff.  People are weird, and they stash and hoard all kinds of stuff.  And other weird people want it and pay lots of money for it.

8 hours ago, HighRadArea said:

What gets me about these shows are the people that have stuff stacked everywhere and can't let go of anything.  I like seeing the stuff they uncover like the John Wilks Booth family album but to me it's nuts holding on to everything.  I guess if you have money to burn it would be easier to leave it for your kids to let them deal with selling it.

I can think of a few of us collectors with rooms full of comics.......