• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Pickers: Superman #9 and Amazing Fantasy #15
2 2

105 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There is already a show like that. It's called Comic Book Men. Way better and it's totally not scripted!

Not a chance.  Comic Book Men is 100%  engineered along the lines of Pawn Stars.  The producers contact collectors and ask them to come on the show and nothing is random.

47 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Not a chance.  Comic Book Men is 100%  engineered along the lines of Pawn Stars.  The producers contact collectors and ask them to come on the show and nothing is random.

Is it dry in here today or is it just me?

:tink:

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Is it dry in here today or is it just me?

:tink:

PM Baltimore Lauren and she can tell you all about Comic Book Men as she was on the show. Unsure how completely scripted it is, but she can tell you. My bet is its pretty scripted.

This was on in the UK today in a compilation episode, first time I'd seen it. I love the show and whilst I don't believe for one minute that Danielle is on the phone giving them picks while they're driving I do think the places they go to are unstaged in terms of content. Sometimes I look at my 'stuff' and think, 'what a lot of nice things I have'. Then I see some of these guys out on farms in the States with barns 30 times the size of my house filled to the brim with stuff. You can't stage that.

In the version I saw the owner wanted 8, they offered 4 and a half and shook on it. If this is true and unstaged, what must that guy think now! And my God did he have some stuff. Why would you sell your AF 15 though if you had all that stuff and, presumably, knew its worth and loved it? Could they have staged the sale for the cameras I wonder? In other words, bought it just for the show but the guy obviously didn't sell it? 

As I say, I only saw an edited compilation so maybe there's more to the story. Great show though.

Part of my job at the moment includes collecting donations in support of an animal charity. An old couple last week gave me a box of comics and a dusty old LP box. The comics were all Alan Class reprints and were in a shocking state. Lots to read, if I can get the dust off of them but worth nothing (no AF15 reprint copy alas)! The LPs though included some really rare stuff and at first thought I thought we'd do very well. Ebay seemed to indicate they were worth hundreds (Led Zeppelin early releases etc). My plan was to take them to a record dealer we use and, if he gave us hundreds, take half back to the old couple. I saw Frank and Mike do this once - take money back to the owner when they made a bomb - and the guy cried he was so taken aback. Turns out each LP was scratched to oblivion and all I got was £120 (I say all, that's a days takings in some of our shops). So not enough to split with the donators and I gave it to our shop which takes the least. Good day for them and it was fun doing the research.

Picking in the US seems so glamorous. 'Dagenham Pickers' would, I suspect, be less so....

I wouldn't use the term "glamorous". It is often, hard, dirty work often VERY early in the morning. I have picked rat/raccoon poop houses, garages and buildings full of spiders and "critters". Dusty and dirty. Cat pee smell and stuff damaged by the elements. Many times finding very little. But every once in a while...the gods smile down upon me and reward me for my efforts. Those are the ones you remember. The more you do it, the more "smiles" you get.

I'm sure the same can be done where you are, if you are dedicated. Trouble is, it would be stuff mostly from your country not the US. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This was on in the UK today in a compilation episode, first time I'd seen it. I love the show and whilst I don't believe for one minute that Danielle is on the phone giving them picks while they're driving I do think the places they go to are unstaged in terms of content. Sometimes I look at my 'stuff' and think, 'what a lot of nice things I have'. Then I see some of these guys out on farms in the States with barns 30 times the size of my house filled to the brim with stuff. You can't stage that.

In the version I saw the owner wanted 8, they offered 4 and a half and shook on it. If this is true and unstaged, what must that guy think now! And my God did he have some stuff. Why would you sell your AF 15 though if you had all that stuff and, presumably, knew its worth and loved it? Could they have staged the sale for the cameras I wonder? In other words, bought it just for the show but the guy obviously didn't sell it? 

As I say, I only saw an edited compilation so maybe there's more to the story. Great show though.

Part of my job at the moment includes collecting donations in support of an animal charity. An old couple last week gave me a box of comics and a dusty old LP box. The comics were all Alan Class reprints and were in a shocking state. Lots to read, if I can get the dust off of them but worth nothing (no AF15 reprint copy alas)! The LPs though included some really rare stuff and at first thought I thought we'd do very well. Ebay seemed to indicate they were worth hundreds (Led Zeppelin early releases etc). My plan was to take them to a record dealer we use and, if he gave us hundreds, take half back to the old couple. I saw Frank and Mike do this once - take money back to the owner when they made a bomb - and the guy cried he was so taken aback. Turns out each LP was scratched to oblivion and all I got was £120 (I say all, that's a days takings in some of our shops). So not enough to split with the donators and I gave it to our shop which takes the least. Good day for them and it was fun doing the research.

Picking in the US seems so glamorous. 'Dagenham Pickers' would, I suspect, be less so....

I personally can't stand that show they both remind me of Cain and Abel from DC comics, they just seem so shifty. "Wait what we'll do is pick the very best item and ignore the rest right Frank?" 

CainAbel.png

16154199_G.png

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Trouble is, it would be stuff mostly from your country not the US. 

Trouble? Trouble! That's fighting talk Robot Man! :mad:

Note: I'm joking. 

17 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I personally can't stand that show they both remind me of Cain and Abel from DC comics, they just seem so shifty. "Wait what we'll do is pick the very best item and ignore the rest right Frank?" 

CainAbel.png

16154199_G.png

There is a similarity there actually....hm

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, mackenzie999 said:

Would being featured on a television show be something noted on the slab? Seems like a cool bit of provenance that could possibly be lost over time.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, atomised said:

everytime I see this show I think I'd how much more I'd rather see a reality show following Metropolis Comics or Heritage Auctions.  The market for general antiques is pretty much dead, but I guess it lives on with American Pickers.

One of my favorite shows...

On 7/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, tv horror said:

CainAbel.png

16154199_G.png

I've read accounts of their picks from the sellers.   Anything could be faked on the internet but the stories did ring true to me and made sense from a reality show prospective.   They come from a picker background and I believe they realize it's most interesting if they're honest as possible with the audience.

When they show up they haven' been there before or planted any items.  If it's a big property they can spent the entire day searching and they do the work themselves, they get dirty.  They often buy a lot more than they show, it is a reality show and they only have so much time so they feature the most valuable items or the items they believe will connect with the audience.  

I don't believe they go into a pick with only the little information Danielle gives them over the phone.  In this modern age they'd have reams of pictures and details of the best items.  I've also heard that picks they characterized as free-style were actually planned in advance.

This is still at it's core a TV show.  When they come across an item they want to feature they're gonna set up a great camera shot and ask the owner to talk about it again.  

There's got to be a lot of picks that come about because of the show's fame.  I'd imagine many of their recent picks are collectors who want to be on TV and are willing to sell at least a few good items for that pleasure    Often we see a collector who's not budging on prices and they can't seem to buy anything and then suddenly he sells them a couple items with margin.  Makes perfect sense from a collector's point of view to give up a few items and show off his collection to the world.