• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Pickers: Superman #9 and Amazing Fantasy #15
2 2

105 posts in this topic

Like others here, I'm also a HUGE fan of the show.  In fact, since Mad Men went off the air, it is easily my favorite show.  I have seen each episode on average probably more than 10 times.  While I'm sure some things are staged, edited out of context, etc., I think American Pickers is probably one of the most legitimate "reality" shows in existence.  I doubt that they actually "freestyle" as that would take way too long and it just doesn't jive with a production schedule.  Also, I don't believe Danielle really works for Antique Archaelogy and Frank is not business partners (at least the store) with Mike.  Having said that, I do believe that the picks you see are real, that the sellers are real, that money is exchanging hands and that their interactions with the sellers is not staged.  I also believe that Mike and Frank are lifelong friends.  I'm quite fond of both Mike and Frank and think that the chemistry between the two works really well.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, Mystafo said:

Maybe it was just me, but I would've been pretty peeved if I just hooked a guy up with a deal for way more money than the was asking and then he had the gall to give me a price of 750 on the Batman when the comic guy said it was worth 850.

Thanks a lot pal...a whole hundo.....maaaaybe.  .

Superman bro.  Get your superheroes straight!

On 7/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't use the term "glamorous". It is often, hard, dirty work often VERY early in the morning. I have picked rat/raccoon poop houses, garages and buildings full of spiders and "critters". Dusty and dirty. Cat pee smell and stuff damaged by the elements. Many times finding very little. But every once in a while...the gods smile down upon me and reward me for my efforts. Those are the ones you remember. The more you do it, the more "smiles" you get.

I'm sure the same can be done where you are, if you are dedicated. Trouble is, it would be stuff mostly from your country not the US. 

We don't have the space in the UK that you have in the U.S.

It's unusual for people here to have acres of land full of out-buildings (unless they're farmers and then the out-buildings are probably for agricultural use not for storing antiques).

Most people have a garage, a shed and that's about it, so there's a limit to what you can find.

19 hours ago, JollyComics said:

We had Storage Wars (Action Comics #1 is real. LAPD confiscated it. The guy who found it committed suicide

The guy who found it (only known as "Sylvester" and wanted to remain anonymous) reached out first to Dan Dotson, who then contacted Mark Balelo, in an attempt to confirm it was authentic. Subsequently, Metro's Fishler was contacted, and upon confirming it was Nic Cage's stolen copy, it led to the book being confiscated. Mark Balelo did commit suicide, but wasn't the person who found the Action #1.

Edited by comicwiz

3 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The guy who found it (only known as "Sylvester" and wanted to remain anonymous) reached out first to Dan Dotson, who then contacted Mark Balelo, in an attempt to confirm it was authentic. Subsequently, Metro's Fishler was contacted, and upon confirming it was Nic Cage's stolen copy, it led to the book being confiscated. Mark Balelo did commit suicide, but wasn't the person who found the Action #1.

Interesting!  Just wondered why Mark killed himself?

Nicholas Cage's three stolen treasured comic books were covered by the insurance company but I tried to find who claimed Action Comics #1 after ComicConnect confirmed Cage's book. I found nothing. Do you have any idea of who claimed the book before it was sold on ComicConnect few years ago?

Edited by JollyComics

6 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Nicholas Cage's three stolen treasured comic books were covered by the insurance company but I tried to find who claimed Action Comics #1 after ComicConnect confirmed Cage's book. I found nothing. Do you have any idea of who claimed the book before it was sold on ComicConnect few years ago?

Nicholas Cage I believe.

On 7/28/2018 at 12:01 PM, comicwiz said:

clip-art-sylvester-602582.jpg

33 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Maybe his insurance company claimed it.  Nicholas bought it for only $10,000!!!

If the insurance company paid him for it, I'm pretty sure it's their book.  

29 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Maybe his insurance company claimed it.  Nicholas bought it for only $10,000!!!

It had to be acquired from the insurer, as the stolen property (under normal circumstaces) is their's after a claim is paid out. I'm not sure what the amount he paid to get the book's title of ownership transferred back to his name, but I'd imagine it was more than just $10K.

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

There was an article (at the time the stolen property was recovered) describing how Nic Cage got it back from them.

I can see it now.

Nic Cage:  I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler.

Insurance company:  Yes you are.  

21 hours ago, Truly Loved Comics said:

Hi, I am new to comics. My brother asked me to help database his 6000+ 1950s to 1990s collection. Please excuse my ignorance, What is an AF? 

Amazing Fantasy #15  Origin and 1st app of Spiderman.