• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This thread is : CLASSIFIED !!

148 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Ted Hanes still puts on shows here in Buffalo.

:applause:   Excellent.  He must be getting up there in age

13 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would like to come to the next one, but I'm guessing it is during elk season again.  I was at the first one at the fairgrounds that Darryl Grimes set up - still have my exhibitor button.  I also remember one at the Red Lion at Gateway (now the Shiloh?) sometime around there too. 

I just chatted with Darrell a couple days ago.  I bought an old book from somewhere back east and it had a stamp with Darrells name and address on the last page.  He said it was from his parents home where he was still living as a teenager.  He put the stamp in there to hopefully connect with other collectors. 

Edited by Senormac
clarification

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

EugeneComicCon.jpg

My wife at our booth at Eugene Comic Con #1 at Lane county fairgrounds - sometime in mid-80s

Some nice stuff there.  A small-but-choice selection of comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

51 minutes ago, Senormac said:
13 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would like to come to the next one, but I'm guessing it is during elk season again.  I was at the first one at the fairgrounds that Darryl Grimes set up - still have my exhibitor button.  I also remember one at the Red Lion at Gateway (now the Shiloh?) sometime around there too. 

I just chatted with Darrell a couple days ago.  I bought an old book from somewhere back east and it had a stamp with his name and address on the last page.  He said it was from his parents home where he was still living as a teenager.  He put the stamp in there to hopefully connect with other collectors. 

I've got a bunch of those stamped Grimes books as well.  I've still got my punchcard from In Son of Koobdooga on 13th Street, which I think was Grimes and/or maybe just Greg Weeds(?).

An odd thing is I have tried to bid on stuff of Grimes on eBay, and I'm blocked - probably because I bid like a shill.

Edited by lizards2

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Some nice stuff there.  A small-but-choice selection of comics.

I had recently bought the only collection I have ever purchased (1986?), from a University of Oregon student from Chicago.  He had five long boxes of pristine, quality stuff..., supposedly.  He had them shipped out from Chicago, and I bought the lot for $500.  Of course, it was more mid-to-low-grade, but I still occasionally sell an item from that collection.  I've still got the ASM #6 as "my" copy, and a few others.  I remember being disappointed with the quality of the collection when I bought it, but probably gradually sold books from there and made my money back tenfold.

Funny thing - at that convention pictured, Darryl Grimes (convention organizer and my long time comic dealer) came by and bought a bunch of the DC books - he said my grading was a little harsh, and pricing soft.  In retrospect (this was before I collected DC) I wish I had kept a bunch of those World's Finest and other DC books.  World's Finest in the 100-120 range are kind of biatch to get even in mid-grade now.  Quite a few of them would now be considered 7.0-8.0.

15 hours ago, Senormac said:

TBG%20100%20subby%201%20no%20cf_zpsdvnzu

I wonder if he got any response ?

6 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

This is really neat. Ad is from director Alexander Payne (Election, About Schmidt, Nebraska), who is from Omaha, Nebraska. This is him (verified via the Google).

I wonder if he ever got that Subby #1 - he can certainly afford it now. 

I might spend five minutes online checking for articles which describe if his relationship with his son ever deteriorated badly at some point.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I had recently bought the only collection I have ever purchased (1986?), from a University of Oregon student from Chicago.  He had five long boxes of pristine, quality stuff..., supposedly.  He had them shipped out from Chicago, and I bought the lot for $500.  Of course, it was more mid-to-low-grade, but I still occasionally sell an item from that collection.  I've still got the ASM #6 as "my" copy, and a few others.  I remember being disappointed with the quality of the collection when I bought it, but probably gradually sold books from there and made my money back tenfold.

Funny thing - at that convention pictured, Darryl Grimes (convention organizer and my long time comic dealer) came by and bought a bunch of the DC books - he said my grading was a little harsh, and pricing soft.  In retrospect (this was before I collected DC) I wish I had kept a bunch of those World's Finest and other DC books.  World's Finest in the 100-120 range are kind of biatch to get even in mid-grade now.  Quite a few of them would now be considered 7.0-8.0.

The images remind me a lot of the comic marts here in England in the 70s and 80s.

The range of material available at very small shows was much more varied and interesting back then, but prices were generally aggressive, and grading often loose.  Occasionally you'd find someone more in my price range and with tighter grading.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I might spend five minutes online checking for articles which describe if his relationship with his son ever deteriorated badly at some point.

The kid could've been traded for a lot worse than a Subby #1. If I was ever trade for one, I'd be kinda proud.

Still think that Payne ad is so cool. He probably would have been 14-15 years old at the time.

Found this Omaha World-Herald article:

http://www.omaha.com/go/kelly-rather-than-mocking-nebraska-is-an-alexander-payne-love/article_05a45522-c6ba-59c3-a9d1-5a9653ca83a0.html

"Though Payne attended Prep, a Catholic high school, he is Greek Orthodox.

He was an eighth-grader at Lewis and Clark Junior High when the May 6, 1975, tornado badly damaged the school. As the storm approached, he told me, he was already home near 52nd and Farnam Streets stashing his prized comic-book collection beneath the basement pool table for protection."

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember John Nichols.  I think he put out a fanzine "The Barks Collector."  Pretty sure I bought some books from him. 

I've come across his name quite a few times in this paper.  He must have beer really active in comics back in the day