• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAKE'S
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I really can't see any other reason to use the system Heritage uses. You can roughly estimate the time the lot will appear at live auction with plenty of time to submit max proxies. Auction fever is rampant - bid again, bid again, bid again. Buyers leave nothing in their wallets, like the eBay/CLink system allows. 

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Might want to also address invoicing procedures.  The website says you'll be mailed an invoice on the Saturday after the auction.  Which I planned to use to write a check (and get my 3% discount with).  Just now, Friday, received a simultanous invoice and an automatic charge to my AMEX cart.  I'm betting that somewhere on the site it says this will happen, but not as prominently as the "your invoice will be mailed."  I had to call Hake's to take the charge off my card and arrange to pay by check. 

But when I called Hake's just now a recorded message said that they wouldn't take inquiries about the auction until Monday.  So: the charge has to stay on my card for four days. 

So, on the bidding page, instead of that "we'll mail you an invoice" thing, it should say "we're going to charge your card unless you arrange in advance to pay us by check."

Also, it's 2017.  Two weeks for a check to clear?  I want Hake's to make sure they get paid, but is that really still necessary? 

Yes. THIS. I find the invoicing confusing. I didn't even realize there was a check option to save 3%.

Well, I had a nice, eloquent answer all typed out a couple hours ago, but I must have X'd out without submitting....

All I can promise you is that everything here WILL be discussed.  The conundrum that I keep running in to with the bidding time limits is that every solution to one problem either ignores another benefit or causes a different problem.  Billing will be discussed, too.  There will be incremental changes but wholesale shifts will require quantifiable metrics and a flawless sales pitch.  I appreciate all of the feedback (ammo) and, proactively, your (hopeful) patience.

My MAIN goal at this point, maybe even a NEED, is that everyone at least understands the system as it exists now so that you're able to bid - and WIN -  on pieces that you want.  People are already asking me about the Byrne FF cover I just consigned for the fall auction and I don't want anyone who's interested in that piece or any other to be unable or unwilling to bid on it, for whatever reason.  Overall improvement is the long-term goal, but it'll happen in stages and in the meantime I don't want anyone to miss out. 

33 minutes ago, 1Toy2Many said:

Well, I had a nice, eloquent answer all typed out a couple hours ago, but I must have X'd out without submitting....

All I can promise you is that everything here WILL be discussed.  The conundrum that I keep running in to with the bidding time limits is that every solution to one problem either ignores another benefit or causes a different problem.  Billing will be discussed, too.  There will be incremental changes but wholesale shifts will require quantifiable metrics and a flawless sales pitch.  I appreciate all of the feedback (ammo) and, proactively, your (hopeful) patience.

My MAIN goal at this point, maybe even a NEED, is that everyone at least understands the system as it exists now so that you're able to bid - and WIN -  on pieces that you want.  People are already asking me about the Byrne FF cover I just consigned for the fall auction and I don't want anyone who's interested in that piece or any other to be unable or unwilling to bid on it, for whatever reason.  Overall improvement is the long-term goal, but it'll happen in stages and in the meantime I don't want anyone to miss out. 

I understand that you have legacy customers that you have to cater to with all the confusing, convoluted stuff, and weigh that against potential new customers, but you're scaring people away that you don't have to.

I appreciate your earlier reply to me about this:

I had two tabs open, refreshed at the same time. The same item was listed as "10 minute warning" & "1 hr 50 min" remaining or something like that.

But stuff like that is unacceptable. The same info should read the same thing everywhere. You're (Hakes) not giving people enough information in an easy way to behave normally.

Potential & new customers are being confused on multiple fronts when you should be giving people better information.

47 minutes ago, Twanj said:

I understand that you have legacy customers that you have to cater to with all the confusing, convoluted stuff, and weigh that against potential new customers, but you're scaring people away that you don't have to.

I appreciate your earlier reply to me about this:

But stuff like that is unacceptable. The same info should read the same thing everywhere. You're (Hakes) not giving people enough information in an easy way to behave normally.

Potential & new customers are being confused on multiple fronts when you should be giving people better information.

It's not just the legacy customers; it's also the fact that I can only bring about so much change at any given time.  This past auction was about Comic Art Fans, with a few other minor shifts.  My goals for the next auction revolve around providing more clarity with the website, along with another key detail that I can't share now because it'll take some real work to accomplish and I can't guarantee I'll succeed in making it happen.  If I do, though, I'll post it here immediately. 

Something nobody else has brought up yet - be very careful accepting lots from anybody with the last name Donnelly. Or anything that was ever previously owned by San Mateo Art, Cool Lines, et al. If you do the Hake's description would need to very accurately the describe the actual object being offered, not what the consignor describes it as.