• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to DC next week, any shops I should visit?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

will be going to DC for a few days next week

:frown: Sorry for your loss :foryou:

I remember across the river in Alexandria, VA there was a shop on King St.  But I can't remember if they had any Golden Age books.  It's been a few years, so who knows if it is even there still. 

King Street is a great walking street btw.  Lots of shops and restaurants. 

Not sure if this store is still in business on Georgetown area in DC, they used to sell some SA/GA comic on their wall when I went there in my university days. Of course that was over 28 years ago!  I forget what their store title was called...? Their store is uphill near the corner as I recalled.

DC is a great town with lots of things to see around. I was there in my first year, then went back home on account of my health issues.

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

Why not stop by the White house I hear it is filled with comics, just kidding it looks like a beautiful city.

They got rid of them in January.  Just kidding.  Maybe.

There is a shop (Shazam Comics - shazamcomicshop.com) in Pasadena, MD, Pasadena is 35 to 40 miles north of DC. but I don't recall off the top of my head if they have any GA comics but I do know as far as a LCS these days they do have an okay selection of SA books.  If you have the flexibility in your schedule it would be worth a call to see what they have that you might be interested in.  Around here, the DMV** area, I find it harder and harder to find LCS's which carry a good selection of back issues, at least when it comes to SA books but then again my focus is on Daredevil so my view\percerption is arguably narrow.  Oh and for what it's worth it is a smaller shop, probably less than 600 sq. ft. 

**DC, Maryland and Virginia

The only stores I can think of that might have GA would be Cards, Comics & Collectibles and Victory Comics.

CC&C is Marc Nathan's store.   He definitely will have GA, but he's not really in the DC area.  His store is in Reisterstown, and probably a good 1-1.5 hours away from the city (in no traffic). 

Victory Comics (Jeff Weaver) is in Falls Church, VA which is just outside the DC limits.   Not sure how big the GA selection would be, but he probably has them.  Certainly has (or had) a decent SA stock.  

Other than those two, I don't think you'll have much brick & mortar luck for GA.   

On 7/14/2017 at 5:35 PM, entalmighty1 said:

The wife and I (and the mother-in-law, yay) will be going to DC for a few days next week to see the sights.  Anybody know of a local shop that has a decent selection of golden age books?

Im moving there in three weeks, if you find anything leave some for me!

DC is the worst big city in the country for local comic stores. There are no stores in the DC metro that carry Golden Age. Victory Comics might have some, but I doubt it.

Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown, Maryland, as indicated above, will have lots and lots, about an hour drive north of the city.

There's a convention on Sunday in Annandale - there will be a bunch of Golden Age there.

Or you could just ping me or @esquirecomics and we can hook you up.

If you're coming next week you're going to die from the heat, so make sure you hydrate.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:14 PM, Mercury Man said:

I remember across the river in Alexandria, VA there was a shop on King St.  But I can't remember if they had any Golden Age books.  It's been a few years, so who knows if it is even there still. 

King Street is a great walking street btw.  Lots of shops and restaurants. 

Aftertime Comics. They have a lot of Silver, but it is priced at the top of the market. Very little Golden Age.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:12 PM, Fan Boy said:

Not sure if this store is still in business on Georgetown area in DC, they used to sell some SA/GA comic on their wall when I went there in my university days. Of course that was over 28 years ago!  I forget what their store title was called...? Their store is uphill near the corner as I recalled.

DC is a great town with lots of things to see around. I was there in my first year, then went back home on account of my health issues.

That was the late and unlamented Another Universe on P Street. They had drecky stuff out - you had to get invited to go down in the basement to look at the good stuff. They went out of business in the late 90s after the implosion.

18 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

There is a shop (Shazam Comics - shazamcomicshop.com) in Pasadena, MD, Pasadena is 35 to 40 miles north of DC. but I don't recall off the top of my head if they have any GA comics but I do know as far as a LCS these days they do have an okay selection of SA books.  If you have the flexibility in your schedule it would be worth a call to see what they have that you might be interested in.  Around here, the DMV** area, I find it harder and harder to find LCS's which carry a good selection of back issues, at least when it comes to SA books but then again my focus is on Daredevil so my view\percerption is arguably narrow.  Oh and for what it's worth it is a smaller shop, probably less than 600 sq. ft. 

**DC, Maryland and Virginia

I wouldn't waste the time to drive out there.

20 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

As a person who lives in the DC area, best golden age shopping will be in your hotel room surfing on your computer.

Or Sunday in Annandale. There will be a lot there.

6 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

That was the late and unlamented Another Universe on P Street. They had drecky stuff out - you had to get invited to go down in the basement to look at the good stuff. They went out of business in the late 90s after the implosion.

That's the one! xD So you knew about the basement, eh? They took me down to let me see some books. Brought a few ones and took them to my Canadian home from university. Went out of business, huh? Not surprised at that. I left there on Dec 1988. 

10 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Or Sunday in Annandale. There will be a lot there.

Is the Annandale a monthly show? I'm really hoping I'm not moving into a comic book wasteland in a month!