• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to DC next week, any shops I should visit?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Is the Annandale a monthly show? I'm really hoping I'm not moving into a comic book wasteland in a month!

I think he does 8-10 per year. It is a pretty good show, all things considered. Information here. There used to be a lot of shows in the DC area, but its dwindled down to this one.

12 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Thanks boys!  Going to do my best to meet up with Donut in Annandale.

I'd wear protection, considering his avatar...., :baiting:

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Great to meet you today! I'll ship your books out tomorrow. That's a pretty impressive pile.

Thanks for rolling out the proverbial red carpet Dan!  It was fun talking comics with you guys for a while.  That's a fantastic show, with more GA books than I've seen in one place in my short time collecting them.  I was a little overwhelmed, but I think I managed to stretch my money to the limit. :whee:

Annandale is a good little show (glad they also expanded it up to Frederick, MD - a few times a year).  

Dan @FlyingDonut - are you going to go to NOVA Con this weekend?   I recently moved out that way and stopped by the store that's putting it on (ComicLogic).  Based on the flyer I picked up, seems like it leans a bit towards "pop culture" con vs a "comic show" (like Nick's).    What are your thoughts?  

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Annandale is a good little show (glad they also expanded it up to Frederick, MD - a few times a year).  

Dan @FlyingDonut - are you going to go to NOVA Con this weekend?   I recently moved out that way and stopped by the store that's putting it on (ComicLogic).  Based on the flyer I picked up, seems like it leans a bit towards "pop culture" con vs a "comic show" (like Nick's).    What are your thoughts?  

I doubt it - I am not a huge fan of that store and the way that they do business. In looking at the exhibitor list, I would be very surprised if a comic book published before 1990 will be in the room.

Thanks.  That's kinda the vibe I was getting as well.   The people at the store were friendly enough, but it's definitely geared more towards new stuff.  Maybe if it rains this weekend...

Although it is at the Ritz-Carlton, which is connected to my office, so I could park for free and walk over. Not sure if I want to drop $30 for a Saturday ticket to see cosplayers.

Didn't see it mentioned, but for Golden/Silver age there's a great little shop called Barbarian Comics in Wheaton about a half hour north of DC. Place is legit an awesome old school comic shop(long boxes and vintage displays everywhere.) run by a very kind, knoweldgable old-school guy. In DC proper, the vintage pickings are pretty slim...

Edited by AMightyEsquilax

21 minutes ago, AMightyEsquilax said:

Didn't see it mentioned, but for Golden/Silver age there's a great little shop called Barbarian Comics in Wheaton about a half hour north of DC. Place is legit an awesome old school comic shop(long boxes and vintage displays everywhere.) run by a very kind, knoweldgable old-school guy. In DC proper, the vintage pickings are pretty slim...

Barbarian isn't run by that guy anymore. Still a back issue store though.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

Barbarian isn't run by that guy anymore. Still a back issue store though.

Oh man, when did that happen? I haven't been out there in a bit. Found that guy so helpful and knoweldgable, relaxed. Had all the feel of an old-school store, without any of the standard gatekeeping of old school. Watched that guy give kids free comics left and right, just wanted them to be in the hobby.