• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

congrats to Rune

10 posts in this topic

Thank you very much, Dave :foryou: - it's a great honor, although it's a small set it has taken 8 or 9 years to build. BTW, I had too much work in May and June, so I didn't get the set fully updated before the deadline :blush:, but luckily CGC didn't see that as a problem. Yesterday I took the time to take a few better photos and update some of the text, so here's the new shiny set :wink:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=34657

Originally I just wanted to collect the Savage Tales Conan mags, but I've always loved the Ka-Zar stories too, guess it was a natural thing trying to complete the set. Maybe Erik (Rosland) will one day consider selling his #7 - he's got the single highest graded #7 (and I've got the single highest graded #8, maybe we'll one day end up with the same amount of points :grin:).

I wouldn't be winning this award if Barry James (James) hadn't sold his collection last summer - we were intensely competing for the Savage Tales throne, and he won it in 2015 and 2016, I guess I should write to him and ask what made him sell his collection - maybe it's all about the hunt hm

Personally I'm not here for the hunt, I truly love these mags. To me the hunt is more a stress factor, and I'm happy that most of it is over (for this set, I guess hm - or maybe it'll never really end :facepalm:)

I did win a Registry award for my small DKR set in 2014 and have thought that winning an award for Savage Tales would be another and even bigger milestone. Now I got to find out if there's more to live for! lol :jokealert:

Edited by Rune

Thank you, Batmiesta & Jayman - yes, the time I've spend getting these 12 mags will probably keep me from starting to collect Creepy and Eerie 9.8 mags! :wink: 

BTW, I really appreciate the kind words; normally no one around me knows anything about my hobby, and probably don't care much (like *long dry cough* the wife), it's good to know I'm not the only one to appreciate these great mags! 

Beautiful stuff. I just read the announcement at the top of the page and was curious how these awards are determined? Thematically, it seems there is some person or group at CGC that decides these based on a point system. I assume the winners just earn bragging rights (for the year?) and no compensation.

On 17/7/2017 at 3:53 PM, cstojano said:

Beautiful stuff. I just read the announcement at the top of the page and was curious how these awards are determined? Thematically, it seems there is some person or group at CGC that decides these based on a point system. I assume the winners just earn bragging rights (for the year?) and no compensation.

According to CGC winners get (see text in bold):

"Awards will be presented in the following categories:

• The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938–1959)
  • The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)
  • The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)
  • The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)
  • The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)
  • The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)
  • The One Best Magazine Set
  • The One Best Custom Set
  • One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

Take the honors in one of these categories and you’ll receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition next to your set’s Registry listing and a one-year Collectors Society Premium Membership. 

Overall quality, balance and completion will all be important considerations — in addition to Registry score — when judging sets in competitive categories."

Source: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=5883&2017-registry-awards

1 hour ago, Amazing Spidey said:

What is equally impressive is your 1-10 savage sword 9.8 set :ohnoez:

Thank you - yes, my SSoC #1 to #10 all 9.8 with pure WP (no OW-W or worse) was actually harder to collect than my Savage Tales set, I think hm 

I was lucky to pick up the single highest graded SSoC #9, so I guess it'll be very difficult to improve that set - I might expand it to #15 if I get the chance :wishluck: I'm not going to try to collect the first 100 issues, I think Topnot (Al) more than deserves the top spot. 

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=9549