• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mylar really healthy for paper (comics) preservation? even some archivist not!
3 3

110 posts in this topic

I talk with some archivist and they told me that ANY kind of plastic, including mylar, polypropylene are not good for paper, can cause humidity (well that depends of the humidity room) and can cause abrasion to the paper and other problems, for archive paper, posters, etc... any paper (comics) they prefer other papers like this ones: 

and in some way make sense, think! those plastics not match with paper, but other papers match.

I have some humidity problem in my room, I have a good collection of records and some comics in mylar sleeves and I got a lot mold spores on, due that a lot now have a lot foxing! is very sad, I not saying that mylar can cause that like I say the humidity was too high in my room but! I bet the damn bags HOLDS! the mold more, I bet if I was used just paper it will dont get a lot mold.

So I see EVERY single comic collector use mylar (egerber or other brands) but ARE YOU SURE THAT MYLAR NOT CAN DAMAGE THE PAPER OVER TIME? like I say even archivist pros is better avoid any plastic (mylar, poly...etc.) contact to paper.

What do yo think?

All of my books are stored in Mylites with Halfbacks in Comic Storage Boxes away from UV and have been in the same environment (My Apartment) since 1986. 

I have not experienced any of the concerns you have mentioned,  your humidity concerns sound like the issues you would experience if books were stored in a garage, attic or basement where there may be temperature and humidity extremes.

4 hours ago, spooncomic said:

ANY kind of plastic, including mylar, polypropylene are not good for paper, can cause humidity (well that depends of the humidity room) and can cause abrasion to the paper and other problems

Mylar does not 'cause humidity'.  Unless it's perfectly sealed, the humidity level of your comic book will go up and down depending on it's surrounding environment.  You can get mould/foxing on comics just having them on open shelves in damp basements.

Also. Abrasion is defined as "the process of scraping or wearing away". I just don't see how that is possible with the ultra smooth Mylar surface - however definitely can happen if in contact with other paper.

5 hours ago, spooncomic said:

I talk with some archivist and they told me that ANY kind of plastic, including mylar, polypropylene are not good for paper, can cause humidity (well that depends of the humidity room) and can cause abrasion to the paper and other problems, for archive paper, posters, etc... any paper (comics) they prefer other papers like this ones: 

and in some way make sense, think! those plastics not match with paper, but other papers match.

I have some humidity problem in my room, I have a good collection of records and some comics in mylar sleeves and I got a lot mold spores on, due that a lot now have a lot foxing! is very sad, I not saying that mylar can cause that like I say the humidity was too high in my room but! I bet the damn bags HOLDS! the mold more, I bet if I was used just paper it will dont get a lot mold.

So I see EVERY single comic collector use mylar (egerber or other brands) but ARE YOU SURE THAT MYLAR NOT CAN DAMAGE THE PAPER OVER TIME? like I say even archivist pros is better avoid any plastic (mylar, poly...etc.) contact to paper.

What do yo think?

Do you like gladiator movies?

5 hours ago, spooncomic said:

What do yo think?

Seeing that mylar is completely inert & archival-safe, yes, I am in fact sure it won't damage paper over time.

6 hours ago, spooncomic said:

What do yo think?

Did the archivist you spoke with work for the Library of Congress?

I ask because the archivists, researchers and conservation experts there have determined that not only is Mylar D safe for archiving documents it is the preferred material for preserving all documents held by the Library of Congress. 

Edited by comix4fun

53 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Did the archivist you talk to work for the Library of Congress?

I ask because the archivists, researchers and conservation experts there have determined that not only is Mylar D safe for archiving documents it is the preferred material for preserving all documents held by the Library of Congress. 

Yea but, government.

I trust the new guy with one post.

55 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Did the archivist you talk to work for the Library of Congress?

Yea but, government.

I trust the new guy with one post.

No kidding.  I used to work for the Feds, and believe me, be suspicious of most.

Come on! guys, what's the problem that I'm new here, I'm new on the boards but not on collecting, again I'm not an expert on comics as I'm in comics but records and comics ARE THE SAME THING, the artwork of the records are made of paper too! like the comics, understand ALL is paper, paper gets the same thing, foxing, mildew etc.

YES on the video they show a kind of mylar too but the same archivists say to me the same, "ALL the papers on the video are fine to preserve other papers but AGAIN the plastic that he show on the video (mylar) is NOT good, any kind of plastic can damage the paper".

He not work for the Library Congress but he have 30 years of experience in Europe, I can show you his curriculum, he have a web site, but for respect to him I prefer ask first. I even will talk to him to read this topic to he show give a proper response why they say that.

The idea here is just discuss about, condition is the most important thing for me and I think for you.

In some way make sense, PAPER caring PAPER make more sense that ADD any kind of plastic, plastic DON'T BREATH, plastic can hold humidity and heat, think make sense to me.

Yeah yeah our precious comics or records looks so pretty thought a Mylar sleeve but... again maybe is not the best choice.

1 hour ago, spooncomic said:

Come on! guys, what's the problem that I'm new here, I'm new on the boards but not on collecting, again I'm not an expert on comics as I'm in comics but records and comics ARE THE SAME THING, the artwork of the records are made of paper too! like the comics, understand ALL is paper, paper gets the same thing, foxing, mildew etc.

YES on the video they show a kind of mylar too but the same archivists say to me the same, "ALL the papers on the video are fine to preserve other papers but AGAIN the plastic that he show on the video (mylar) is NOT good, any kind of plastic can damage the paper".

He not work for the Library Congress but he have 30 years of experience in Europe, I can show you his curriculum, he have a web site, but for respect to him I prefer ask first. I even will talk to him to read this topic to he show give a proper response why they say that.

The idea here is just discuss about, condition is the most important thing for me and I think for you.

In some way make sense, PAPER caring PAPER make more sense that ADD any kind of plastic, plastic DON'T BREATH, plastic can hold humidity and heat, think make sense to me.

Yeah yeah our precious comics or records looks so pretty thought a Mylar sleeve but... again maybe is not the best choice.

You have a humidity problem. Nothing to do with storage materials.

41 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

Mylar has been used exclusively to protect the finest comics for 30 plus years...if there were a problem, don't you think it would have become apparent by now?

Actually YES! I was think that but I just saying that archivist like this prefer AVOID any type of plastic like mylar to contact with paper, again I will talk more my contact to he himself respond to this and read all this responses.

22 minutes ago, mrc said:

You have a humidity problem. Nothing to do with storage materials.

You don't understand me, IN THE PAST I had a humidity problem yes! and that SHOW ME! that MYLAR can HOLD the mold spores, is too obvious is plastic, in a case of HUMIDITY plastic mylar can HOLD more the humidity, mold spores. By example brand new records are sell in Shrinks (cheap plastic not mylar of course), I had some still 70s records in shrink in the same boat with the humidity problem and ALSO holds the humidity INSIDE, so again, any plastic even MYLAR can HOLDS humidity IF humidity exist of course.

Like you say, IN THE CASE OF HAVE A HUMIDITY PROBLEM, I'm not saying that just for add Mylar we can add or add more the humidity. I just saying that I bet if I will not have any plastic on my stuff the damage will not be high, thanks to mylar sleeves the molds hold more spores inside the bags.

NOW, I fix my humidity problem, I have a room with a dehumidifier keeping the humidity between 45% to 55%. Also I add Silica Gel to my boxes and of course I REMOVE all mylar sleeves that had tons of mold spores.

Oh by the way, all sleeves that I use have flap with adhesive strip, now I switch to NON FLAP sleeves, I read that too, sealed sleeves can increase the humidity due not can breath.

Yes yes, I know a lot here think that I'm stupid or a newbie but think on that, in some way make sense that plastic can holds more humidity or can cause other issues on paper, make sense storage paper with paper, like posters collectors do, posters collectors use intervaling paper to storage 145_2a_B.gif , the thing with comics or records collectors is we love SHOW the cover arts so of course we need plastics.

See this CBSE1.jpg that company offer that kind of thing of storage comics, again, no mylar, no plastic, pure acid free paper!

Why I feel that some people feel offended by all this? is just a discussion about plastic vs paper to storage/archive valuable collectable items.

1 hour ago, spooncomic said:

What you not understand? Humidity is problem, no mylar. Archivists USE mylar plus humidity-control. If no humidity-control, then even paper interleave get mold too.

Cut to the chase - just post your link to whatever you're selling and be done with it.

Edited by jcjames

5 minutes ago, jcjames said:

What you not understand? Humidity is problem, no mylar.

Cut to the chase - just post your link to whatever you're selling and be done with it.

Read my previous replay, I respond the same thing to other member. To resume my previous response: "YES! I know that I had a humidity problem but thanks to that, I notice that Mylar Sleeves can HOLD more the humidity and spores inside, if I had use just paper I bet the damage will not be too much" for that reason I contact an archivist expert and he told me that any plastic on the paper, with humidity OR NOT HUMIDITY is NOT good for paper.

Again, I contact again to he himself READ this and he respond.

Last thing, Selling what??? I don't get it... I'm not selling anything. Is just a discussion.

Edited by spooncomic