• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mylar really healthy for paper (comics) preservation? even some archivist not!
3 3

110 posts in this topic

The OP stresses he collects both vinyl records and comic books. I also collect vinyl records, especially 45's with collectible picture sleeves (paper). I also collect some non Sports cards, sheet music, TV Guides, etc. Lots of paper. I have nearly everything in Mylar products. Most items are in the basement with a dehumidifier. I've never encountered anything like mold spores. It has to be an environmental issue. Blaming the Mylar is crazy. 

1 hour ago, bc said:
2 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

Spooncomic I'm curious where this high humidity place is that you live. What city/country are you in?

From the look of the complexity of his setup, I'm going with Atlantis.

-bc

I'm guessing somewhere near the equator, Philippines maybe?

On 7/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, VegasJeff said:

Spooncomic I'm curious where this high humidity place is that you live. What city/country are you in?

I grew up in ultra-humid Central Florida where it would reach 100% humidity and rain every day in the summer. I currently live in Las Vegas where it is ultra dry and it is usually around low 20% humidity. So I've seen both extremes and can offer a lot of insight in regards to preserving collectibles. 

I see you have done a lot to improve the situation which is really good. I think your biggest problem was keeping stuff on the floor. Many comics have been ruined by being stored directly on the floor. Getting the silica is a pro preservation technique for humid or closed environments. 

The only thing I might be leary of is the closed air tight plastic box. One one hand, they are good to protect stuff from bugs, dust, mold spores, etc. But on the other hand, they could cause an issue because of condensation in a humid environment. If your house is climate controlled and stays relatively cool I don't think it will be an issue. However, I think it will become an issue if you ever move this box into say a storage bin or somewhere that is not climate controlled. The silica will help in regards to that but I don't know what the limits of Silica are. Something to think about. 

I've never had an issue myself from humidity with comics being stored in poly bags. I still own Action Comics#600 which I bought as a kid nearly 30 years ago in Florida. It was one of the first comics that I bought in a comic store. It was kept in a poly bag with backing board for the first 5 years or so. Then I switched out the poly bags to mylar. So that comic is currently sitting in the same mylar I put it in 25 years ago. The mylar is still crystal clear and the comic still looks really good. 

thanks Jeff! I respond to you,

but first to others that even make some jokes about where I live and so on...

first I talk a lot humidity but that is beyond the topic, I even should't mention that but well is part of the whole thing.

1. First I want to be clear again, I'M NOT BLAMING MYLAR! (My Archivist contact does), I just saying! IN THE CASE that you have humidity problem like I had, the MYLAR or any plastic bag is not good because mold spores can destroy more fast the paper because the thing can't breath. I'm not saying "IF YOU USE MYLAR! you will get humidity", Is clear now?.

2. Now, yes! my archivist contact told me that any plastic like mylar, poly or any plastic is not the best for paper, is better use other papers for preservation of paper. I talk to him this week, I want a deeper response from him.

3. Like Jeff say, the humidity increase of decrease depends of the zone and depends of the month of the year, and that IS NOT GOOD FOR PAPER, the KEY is the humidity will stay constant, 45% to 55% is healthy for paper, so even that all make some jokes where I live if you don't keep the humidity in that range you can get humidity or dry on paper.

(by the way I live in Costa Rica, humidity vary depends of the month or day hours, like in every part of the world).

I check weather around some places, right now (just have in mind that humidity is always low INSIDE YOUR HOUSE vs the reports) by example right now:

Costa Rica 75% (but inside my home the meter says 58%)

Florida USA 66%

Las Vegas 24% (wow yes! that is too low)

New York 70%

some of europe, berlin, italy, england, around 55% right now...

4. Show that numbers I want to show some test, some joking also about my double box approach + silica gel, I don't know why, maybe looks like overkill or something but come on! is just a plastic box + cardboard box + silica gel, that is and why? let's go to show some test numbers:

a. Costa Rica weather right now is 75% (but inside my home the meter says 58%):

75% 2gUUZKq.png

b. Humidity meter in my HOME and meter OUTSIDE the plastic boxes:

58% fUvO969.jpg

c.  Humidity meter in my HOME and meter INSIDE the plastic boxes WITH SILICA GEL:

39% 

2POrMJg.jpg

(yes! like you see the plastic box + silica gel KEEPS THE HUMIDITY IN 39%, depends of the silica quantity you can increase or decrease, that's great, so no matter what happen in my room or outside the room or no matter if it's winter or summer, the humidity is the same and constant due the plastic box + silica gel approach). That's the point, also plastic box prevent water, (I don't have any issue with water disasters but... helps).

I found this pic online of a water disaster, 

OUCH! that hurts! maybe was because he vote for Hillary? LOL, no seriously poor collector :(

YoGSYN3.png

Now maybe some say "why you use a cardboard box too?????" well is just because cardboard box is firm and all comics stay vertical, also I feel prevent that everything is in contact with the plastic box direct.

5. Jeff, yes I was too stupid and store comics in just cardboard boxes and mylar sleeves in the floor, with no dehumidifier, no silica, no plastic boxes... I bet that was my problem, so after 2 years I open that and sadly I found mold inside the mylar and foxing on paper of course :(, now with my new approach I expect don't have that issue anymore. Also yes! I even think that "mmm the plastic box is healthy, can cause more high temp or something, but the temp is the same inside the box and outside the box, also when I open the thing due the silica gel everything smell so fresh. 3 months has pass since and I still don't see any issue, I constant check, also I open the boxes constantly and put the dehumidifier, also I add air with a fan to move the air inside the boxes.

6. Is funny my sister also collect vinyl and books, in her room (same home) she store everything exposed in a shelves, no boxes, no mylar sleeves and all his stuff are ok! so yes I bet my issue was had everything in the floor during long time, but I bet that sleeves increase that damage, like I say due the things can't breath, in a humidity problem like that I feels sleeves are not good, (again IN THE HUMIDITY ISSUE, I don't saying or blaming mylar to cause humidity).

7. to conclude, I bet many here think that I do is overkill or something crazy... again is just a double box + silica, I bet a lot comics collectors don't care anything like that and just store everything in a box in the floor and that is, without any control of humidity. I think I'm not crazy, I made something like the Dry Box like photographers do for his cameras. Anyway if someone see an issue of my approach! please tell me, I open to ideas or improve.

8. For Bomber-Bob, I collect singles too, and I use gerber mylar sleeves + backings, see:

Cwls2Tr.jpg

PViokRA.jpg

8. Last, I return later with a response of my archivist contact.

thanks!

Edited by spooncomic

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, spooncomic said:

HERE'S A REAL pics of the "double" box thing with silica etc:

KvjoHXw.jpg

Everybody in here needs to just shut the hell up!  Just shut right the hell up!!!

I used the EXACT same method to store my comic books.  I even take it a step further by wrapping one of my Magnum-sized <winks at the ladies> condoms around the box for extra protection. 

6 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Everybody in here needs to just shut the hell up!  Just shut right the hell up!!!

I used the EXACT same method to store my comic books.  I even take it a step further by wrapping one of my Magnum-sized <winks at the ladies> condoms around the box for extra protection. 

Same method? or you're just bothering me? If it's true, my question is: you don't get any damage for use the plastic box? thanks.

1 hour ago, spooncomic said:

Same method? or you're just bothering me? If it's true, my question is: you don't get any damage for use the plastic box? thanks.

Nope!  The extra large condom <winks both eyes at the ladies....but not at the same time....because that would just be blinking> keeps all the moisture out. 

If you've ever bought a book with the name "Stallion" written on the back of it.....that's one of my old books.  You'll notice they're mold and mildew free!!!

On 7/16/2017 at 10:54 AM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

This looks like a Hospital not a collectors room .... 

If I had to do that "much work" to collect almost anything, it is very likely that I would stop collecting whatever it was.

I respect the original poster's dedication.

18 hours ago, spooncomic said:

8. For Bomber-Bob, I collect singles too, and I use gerber mylar sleeves + backings, see:

Cwls2Tr.jpg

I saw the Church open for Echo & the Bunnymen in Toronto over 30 years ago. Went to the concert with a broken leg in full cast with crutches. I was such a .

Many lough at me, here's another proof of the problem of storage paper in any kind of plastic sleeve.

that is cause for the plastic cases and that can cause damage on paper, due the paper encapsule can't breath! 

that's the problem with storage paper in plastic sleeves, any serious archivist knows that.

remember paper needs breath, acids on the paper are present, temperature and humidity also can freeze the paper etc.

again the only way to truly protect a comic is storage in other profesional papers etc. but of course NOBODY like that because all want see the cover arts and have a number grade on the top, yes looks nice! but that's not the best way to protect paper.

Actually is BETTER store a comic between TWO real acid free FullBacks like a sandwich and store that in a real paper conservation envelope/folder, yes! all storage between papers! not plastic. Again yes you can't see the cover but that's the real way to preserve paper and avoid damage for years, like posters, book collectors do, after all remember comics are MADE OF PAPER!!! are the same thing than posters, photos, books etc.

If mylar polyester is good enough for the indefinite long-term storage of the Constitution of the United States, and all other historically important documents of the Library of Congress, what makes you think it's not safe for Avengers #4?

Edited by namisgr

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

I've done extensive research on this and all of the conservationist and institutions I found recommend the use of Mylar.

18 minutes ago, spooncomic said:

Many lough at me, here's another proof of the problem of storage paper in any kind of plastic sleeve.

that is cause for the plastic cases and that can cause damage on paper, due the paper encapsule can't breath! 

that's the problem with storage paper in plastic sleeves, any serious archivist knows that.

remember paper needs breath, acids on the paper are present, temperature and humidity also can freeze the paper etc.

again the only way to truly protect a comic is storage in other profesional papers etc. but of course NOBODY like that because all want see the cover arts and have a number grade on the top, yes looks nice! but that's not the best way to protect paper.

Newton rings are an optical effect caused by the reflection of light. They have nothing to do with moisture and can not cause damage.

I keep my comics stored in water that is kept sub-zero.  They should last forever. :cool: 

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I keep my comics stored in water that is kept sub-zero.  They should last forever. :cool: 

It worked for Steve Rogers.

(thumbsu The proof is in the puddin'