• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA

16 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Hello! So I've been hearing quite a bit on GPA. I looked it up to get an idea of what it is.

My question is, does GPA also keep track of sales regarding RAW comics or only slabbed? Thanks!

GPA does CGC Slabbed books.  It will show CGC slabs at Ebay as well as at auctions. It is incredibly handy if you're watching trends in sales. If you are looking for sites with non slabbed books,  Google comics in general. Sites like Metropolitan, or Southern California Comics  buy and sell raw books as do many others. Get a copy of Overstreet as a fair starting point for pricing. The Grading at Overstreet can mess with you.  It's frequently low as to prices but it gets you in the door as to whether something has any real value at all. It also has ads for many dealers you could contact. 

Do keep in mind that slabbed books have essentially defined the monetary value of a book so  disputes are far less frequent as to value. Slabs are no guarantee but it indeed helps that way. The downside? You can't read it unless you bought it for the ad on the back cover.   

So I checked GPA and couldn't find info on a comic I've been looking into. No information popped up at all. I find that hard to believe as I'm sure there have been sales on eBay.

There are others I'm interested in too, but if I can't find any info then why use GPA.

Any suggestions or am I just not searching the system right?

Edited by rogue14
Change statement

Maybe if you tell us what the book is, we can give you a better answer. ;)

In general, GPA is most useful for books that sell at higher volume. If the sales are sparse, it's pretty tough to identify the trends. 

I also wish they had a way to combine graphs of sales across a range of grades.

You might also check out Nostomania, which includes data for raw books.

At the risk of this becoming a commercial for GPA...

There are times when it is incredibly useful.  For example, yesterday I picked up a CGC 4.5 book on eBay for well under $200. I was able to look at the charts and make a decision within minutes that it was a decent price. I didn't waste a lot of time reviewing ebay listings or going to other sites.

596cf40f46106_ScreenShot2017-07-17at10_26_30AM.thumb.png.76971a0d5120039616608e38b1678b06.png

There are plenty of situations where GPA is not so useful. But if you're regularly buying books in this price range, or higher, it helps a lot.

Edited by adampasz

3 hours ago, adampasz said:

Maybe if you tell us what the book is, we can give you a better answer. ;)

In general, GPA is most useful for books that sell at higher volume. If the sales are sparse, it's pretty tough to identify the trends. 

I also wish they had a way to combine graphs of sales across a range of grades.

You might also check out Nostomania, which includes data for raw books.

True. I'm looking for info on the ASM678 variant. Couldn't find anything. I think I'm using the site wrong. 

2 hours ago, rogue14 said:

True. I'm looking for info on the ASM678 variant. Couldn't find anything. I think I'm using the site wrong. 

Don't look it up as Amazing Spider-man 678 Variant, look it up as Amazing Spider-Man 678 and in the content you will see the variant.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, rogue14 said:

On 7/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, rogue14 said:

Most of GPA data comes from ebay sales based on how the seller lists it.  Not all sales are captured and it doesn't capture at least one of the major auction sites (ComicLink).  Its a good start but you need to due your due diligence in researching prices.  Don't solely go by what GPA has listed.  For instance there is a 9.8 CGC book that I have been trying to get, the last copy recorded on GPA is about $6000 but two other copies have sold more recently for about $1600. The 678 variant, particularly the venom version sales a lot of off of ebay and exchanges hands privately.  You can search this board and probably find people who have sold it.  I sold my copy here.  Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice. The picture helps too! I was definitely not searching GPA correctly. 

Going to take a look when I have a chance later today. Like many, I've had my eye on this issue for a little while now. 

I'd be ok with a raw or slabbed (9.6 and under) copy. 

9 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

Most of GPA data comes from ebay sales based on how the seller lists it.  Not all sales are captured and it doesn't capture at least one of the major auction sites (ComicLink).  Its a good start but you need to due your due diligence in researching prices.  Don't solely go by what GPA has listed.

Absolutely. I think my post above made me sound lazy. :)
It's not so helpful for new books that fluctuate a lot.
It's not so helpful for low volume books.

really important to remember that GPA does CGA books almost entirely.  There's another world out there. Go to websites for places like Metropolitan, Comiclink, HighGrade comics, sources like that. If I sold an AF 15 (which I'm current;y in the process of setting up) it will never have it's sale recorded in GPA. It's outside that system.  Many people don't want to have to pay buyers and sellers premiums and you have options. One auction house charges 8% to the seller and 19% to the buyer as the premium. That's a lot of money.