• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Storage Solutions

7 posts in this topic

Hey, 

I'm curious what brand names and specifications I should look for when I buy comic boxes, bags, and boards? I'm looking for stuff I can use for a long time. I read somewhere that people use some sort of insert between the cover and first page when placing their comics in bags, anyone know what I'm talking about? :D

Edited by Mike Frazier

If you're looking for long-term storage, mylar bags with true acid-free backing boards is the way to go - you'll never have to replace either & they'll keep the book in an archival-safe state.

The cheaper option is poly bags with regular non-acid free backing boards - those you should definitely replace after 4-5 years. 

Board member Hotflips sells both options - you can hit them up here or through their website at hotflips.com

The insert you're referring to is called "micro-chamber paper" - it helps soak up the acids released by a book as it ages.

On 7/15/2017 at 2:55 PM, Mike Frazier said:

Hey, 

I'm curious what brand names and specifications I should look for when I buy comic boxes, bags, and boards? I'm looking for stuff I can use for a long time. I read somewhere that people use some sort of insert between the cover and first page when placing their comics in bags, anyone know what I'm talking about? :D

You can buy acid free boards and Mylar bags in bulk directly from E. Gerber, as well. The sell a bag product call "Mylites." (Not sure if we're allowed to give produce names, but oh well). It's also important when buying bags and boards to make sure you get the right size for the book involved. If you have books from the silver to modern age, the "standard" sized bags and boards from eGerber will fit almost all of them, except for the big thick treasury editions and oversized books and comic magazines.

On 7/15/2017 at 1:55 PM, Mike Frazier said:

Hey, 

Easy answer.

E. Gerber

'nuff said.

28 minutes ago, Mike Frazier said:

Thank you for the replies! Do you think that microchamber paper is essential for long term storage? What about a humidifier if the area is kept around 45% humidity? 

Definitely yes on the dehumidifier (you said humidifier but I think you meant dehumidifier.