• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Published drawing of Wolverine by John Byrne?

9 posts in this topic

Came across this oddity today. It's a fanzine called Visions. This is from issue 2. Contains an interview with John Byrne in which he talks about his education and his past work with Charlton And his current work with Marvel on Iron Fist with a. It about his upcoming work on Champions. Book was published in Edmonton, Alberta, and has a publication date of Jan/Feb 1977. Front cover has a Thor Sketch and a Wolverine head shot in the back. Given the interview and the publication date, this book seems to pre-date MTU 53 as first Byrne Wolverine. Anyone have any extra info?

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

3 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Any chance I could persuade you to post scans of the interview? :wishluck:

No scanner, but I'll post pics. I assumed the images were probably sketches owned by the person behind the mag. They didn't look like they were from a book.  Given his Calgary connection, he had a. If following in Alberta. Picked up some Space 1999 comics a few years ago at an estate sale in Calgary, all of them had a JB signature at the bottom of the first page. Thanks for all the info folks. 

Cool snag. I believe that Byrne, BWS and others went to the UofA art school (or another one?) way back when. 

There are quite a few pieces of Byrne OA floating around Alberta. I missed out on one from a kijiji estate auction a couple of years ago - two pages from MTU #53 for $150 CDN apiece. I was person #2 to respond to the ad and lost out to person #1. lol

35 minutes ago, kimik said:

Cool snag. I believe that Byrne, BWS and others went to the UofA art school (or another one?) way back when. 

There are quite a few pieces of Byrne OA floating around Alberta. I missed out on one from a kijiji estate auction a couple of years ago - two pages from MTU #53 for $150 CDN apiece. I was person #2 to respond to the ad and lost out to person #1. lol

Byrne went to the Alberta College of Art. If by BWS you mean Barry Smith, I'm pretty sure he didn't attend that school since he's from England.

On 7/15/2017 at 3:25 PM, bellrules said:

Came across this oddity today. It's a fanzine called Visions. This is from issue 2. Contains an interview with John Byrne in which he talks about his education and his past work with Charlton And his current work with Marvel on Iron Fist with a. It about his upcoming work on Champions. Book was published in Edmonton, Alberta, and has a publication date of Jan/Feb 1977. Front cover has a Thor Sketch and a Wolverine head shot in the back. Given the interview and the publication date, this book seems to pre-date MTU 53 as first Byrne Wolverine. Anyone have any extra info?

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

This looks familiar.  I was involved in the comic and Sci Fi convention scene in the late 70's and 80's in Edmonton and I pretty well knew everyone who was publishing in the region.  Will check my files to see if I still have this fanzine.  

Ed Robinson- listed in the credits for a photo on page 28 owned a book and comic store called Lifeforce located in the Hub Mall.  Any other credited names?

Edited by thehumantorch