• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE: JIM STARLIN MASTER OF KUNG FU #54 COVER (MARVEL, 1977)

5 posts in this topic

Here's something you don't see every day - a Master of Kung Fu cover by the character's original artist, Jim Starlin! For those that don't recall, Starlin was the first artist to draw Shang-Chi, in Special Marvel Edition #15-17.  This stunning cover, executed during the prime era of his career in the mid-1970s (MOKF #54 was published just 8 months after Starlin's fabled run on Warlock ended), is all-Starlin (both pencils AND inks).  Good luck finding another prime era, all-Starlin Marvel hero cover for less than this!

The art is pen & ink on Bristol board.  There is a little bit of whiteout on Shang-Chi's left hand bracelet and right sleeve, but, it is not distracting.  Part of the board was cut in an irregular shape, and a rectangular patch of art containing the villain's right arm was glued onto the back of the board (the patch is ALL ART, not stat). Aside from his right arm, the rest of the villain is drawn on the original board.  If you have any further questions after looking at the images, please let me know. 

Link to For Sale Listing on ComicArtFans.com

THE FINE PRINT: 

1. Asking $12,500 shipped within the U.S. (foreign shipping may be more) or hand-delivered to the buyer at the San Diego Comic-Con this week if a deal can be finalized by Tuesday morning New York City time.

2. A check is the preferred form of payment if I'm shipping the art; for hand-delivery at the SDCC, cash is preferred unless we have done business before, in which case a check may work. NO PAYPAL due to the risk of fraudulent chargeback schemes - sorry. 

3. Unless you're offering exceptional trade items and/or trade terms, the only art that I'm actually looking for myself are the items on my CAF Want List.

Jim Starlin MOKF 54 Cover.jpg

Jim Starlin MOKF 54 Back Cover.jpg

Monday morning :bump:

Thanks, gents, for the kind comments!

There's been some tire-kicking and an offer made that I'm on the fence about, so, nothing done as of yet.  As such, if anyone has interest in this cover, please make me an offer!  Willing to entertain time payments as well. 

That's a really nice cover Gene. It's checks a lot of boxes and, like you said, it's PRIME period Starlin. 

I've seen pieces of far lower quality with far higher asking prices lately.

Shouldn't be around long.