• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another oddball pricing thread - sealed Dan Curtis 18-pack

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some help from the hive mind - thanks in advance for any thoughts.

i'm trying to figure out some pricing for a sealed 18-pack of Dan Curtis giveaways from 1974.

There are 6 copies each of #3 (Twilight Zone), #4 (Ripley's Believe It or Not), and #9 (Grimm's Ghost Stories). All look to be NM, with the exception of one copy of #9 that is about FN.

Overstreet says that this lot is worth $270.00 - but that's for 18 singles, and not a sealed pack. eBay completed listings (I see 54 of them) show no packs (sealed or otherwise), but also no completed sales for any copies.

Any suggestions on how I might go about pricing this for eBay? Given the completed sales data, amd I dreaming to think this might be saleable? Has anybody had any luck in selling any of these lately?

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

Since some people go out of the way to collect sealed comics you might get a little premium from a subset of folks.  I'd either put a little aggressive BIN price up and entertain offers or go the auction route and let the market decide on the final price.

I really think the auction route is the only way to ascertain FMV for something like this. While I concur on the premium aspect for sealed comics, it usually only applies to more desirable books. The books mentioned here would probably not get Overstreet prices if offered individually. I don't think you will get much for this sealed pack. Sorry.

If there were 18 different books, I could see this selling high. But only 3 unique issues with many duplicates will probably not sell near OS value. I could be wrong. You would have done better if you had 6 packs of the 3 issues. Good luck. You have pics?

So this is my first time trying to post an image on the new boards... Hopefully this works, but I have a feeling I may be spamming everyone with a massive image.

596bbf26270ef_DanCurtis(2).thumb.JPG.4d02ed7bd27afd5f192824590fa3d30a.JPG

I bought this same rack pack (to borrow from the trading card hobby) a decade(?) ago. No particular reason, just thought it was cool. Knowing my thrifty habits, I doubt I paid north of $20-something. Doesn't mean you can't aim higher.

I like these mini comics. Sad fact they are not expensive. I don't think people will pay nearly what they're worth for the sealed pack. It would be sad to crack them out to maximize profits. I say hold it or try to find a collector who would keep it sealed. I can't see anyone paying more than 1/2 of guide.