• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody already got a copy of 2017 Overstreet?

55 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

Published Wednesday, but usually there are advance copies available to some. Anybody already seen it? Any interesting moves on books? Thx.

:news:

Yes indeed, there are definitely some interesting moves in this year's edition of the Overstreet guide.  :gossip:

For example from what I heard from a very reliable source, after being unceremoniously and unexpectedly turfed from Overstreet's SA Top 20 List decades ago, The Adventures of Big Boy #1

On 7/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, Knightsofold said:

abb.jpg

has finally and much deservedly managed to clawed its way back into its rightful place in the Overstreet SA Top 20 Chart, with Overstreet admitting it never ever should have been dropped from the chart in the first place.  (thumbsu  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, there are definitely some interesting moves in this year's edition of the Overstreet guide.  :gossip:

For example from what I heard from a very reliable source, after being unceremoniously and unexpectedly turfed from Overstreet's SA Top 20 List decades ago, The Adventures of Big Boy #1

has finally and much deservedly managed to clawed its way back into its rightful place in the Overstreet SA Top 20 Chart, with Overstreet admitting it never ever should have been dropped from the chart in the first place.  (thumbsu  :whee:

So this is the first Silver Age book since it came out before Showcase 4?

5 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So this is the first Silver Age book since it came out before Showcase 4?

It's obvious that you do not have the new copy of the Overstreet Guide yet and will have to wait until tomorrow like the rest of us little minions.  :frown:

Yes, you are indeed correct your statement here.  (thumbsu

From what I heard, Adventures of the Big Boy #1 will now be officially recognized as the start of the SA of Comics in this latest edition of the Overstreet, and hence booting Showcase 4 off to the side as a mere follower.  :gossip:  :whistle:

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It's obvious that you do not have the new copy of the Overstreet Guide yet and will have to wait until tomorrow like the rest of us little minions.  :frown:

From what I heard, Adventures of the Big Boy #1 will now be officially recognized as the start of the SA of Comics in this latest edition of the Overstreet, and hence booting Showcase 4 off to the side as a mere follower.  :gossip:  :whistle:

So the SA started with a restaurant giveaway? The second age of the Superhero? lol

6 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:
13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So the SA started with a restaurant giveaway? The second age of the Superhero? lol

Man, the world needs a sarcasm font....

Books like Overstreet I think provide that level of insight and completeness of info that you just don't really get in the online experience. Yeah if you look long enough all the facts are web accessible sure, but going online for data tends to lead you to just find that ONE factoid you want and blocks out the rest. Having all the knowledge there for you to wander across or providing that additional layer of tangent info you pick up researching "Fact A", it leads to greater understanding (in my eyes anyway) of the subject you're studying.

5 hours ago, ninanina said:

I like the articles.:whistle:

Me too. Does anyone remember the one a few years back about categorising different types of variant? It was a worthy attempt on a topic close to my heart but, alas, fell down on its impenetrable recommended terminolgy. Hey, this is a rare type 1A variant, etc.

Shame, as I think there was a cracking article in there somewhere. 

I like to look at the pictures as well, and the market reports were fun, if only to see how out of date they were. Still a good read with a nice cup of tea, and I do miss asking my LCS every year to order me a 'big hard one'. :cloud9:

Me too on both counts. I especially enjoy reading Forumite reports, and also parsing through the reports with an unspoken agenda, like "Mid-grade mid-run Sgt. Fury's are on fire! I can't keep them in stock!"

I'll probably pick a copy up today or tomorrow, will probably go for the Steranko cover.

Do most folks here buy a paperback or hardcover? I switched to hardcover years ago, it just became too unwieldy in paperback at it's current size. One of these days I might have to go for the grandad/dealer spiral bound version. My eyes aren't what they used to be!

I used to buy the HC, but now I opt for the SC. 

I picked up the ROM cover this year (I didn't particularly like the Batman cover and I've got enough OSPG's with him anyway). 

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I bought an OS yesterday.   I think it's still useful.   I like to read the market reports and articles as well.  

I still remember back in the day when the market report was a must and almost immediate read for me.

With the boards here and the much more ongoing current information available right here, I still do read the market reports, but they are definitely on the back burner as I find myself slowly and painfully trudging through them as there are well over 100 pages of them now.  In fact, I just finished reading the last few ones just a couple of weeks ago, and only just because I wanted to finished reading them all before this year's edition of the guide came out.  :p

Maybe Bob himself feels the same way about the market reports now.  I remember how it used to be the first thing I read as he used to write a few pages to summarize the overall market.  Now, he barely writes one or if we are lucky, two paragraphs and then simply fills in the rest of his report with excerpted sentences or paragraphs from his other advisors.  :facepalm:

I guess the covers must all be pretty bad this year since I even resorted to getting the Deadpool cover done by Liefeld.  :sick:

I hear you and pretty much agree.   The boards are a real-time marketplace report (not every thread, but you know what I mean).  I like the OS Market reports because I can take them in the john.  :blush:  

2 hours ago, Magneto said:

I am surprised no one has discussed the contents or top 20 list yet 

But they have talked about the Top 100 Chart and some of its changes in the GA Forum if you would like to mosey on over there.  :baiting: