• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody already got a copy of 2017 Overstreet?

55 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

If there was a hardcover regular edition of the Tick, would've been an easy choice. Had to go with Batman. I do like this cover way more than the non-Rock covers last year.

+1

I totally agree and also thought the Tick cover was by far the best.  (thumbsu

Ended up getting the Hero Initiative Limited Edition cover since I thought it was the best of the non-Tick covers.  Thank God Liefeld didn't end up drawing a pregnant Deadpool like how he drew an almost pregnant Cap in his now infamous Captain America cover.  lol

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I totally agree and also thought the Tick cover was by far the best.  (thumbsu

Ended up getting the Hero Initiative Limited Edition cover since I thought it was the best of the non-Tick covers.  Thank God Liefeld didn't end up drawing a pregnant Deadpool like how he drew an almost pregnant Cap in his now infamous Captain America cover.  lol

I would have gone Tick as well - got the Hero initiative as well

i've been a comic lover since i was a kid 40 years ago, but only an investor for 5 yrs. i've gotten the last 5 overstreet guides, mainly for the dealers' market reports. if i did what many recommended about wonder woman 4-5 years ago(buy), i would have done very well. still, i bought several keys that were recommended and have also done well. i find it very useful to read their market reports each year in spite of the fact that when each guide comes out, the reports are already 7 months old. thanks to overstreet and all the folks who write the reports!

Edited by alexander gross

5 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Waiting for my copy to come in.  Anyone know the movement for FF 1 in both G/VG in the new guide?

Looks like FF 1 has been bumped up from $2,200 up to $2,300 for a percentage gain of 4.5% in bottom of guide, as opposed to being bumped up from $135K up to $140K for a percentage gain of only 3.7%.  With VG prices at double the Good prices as per usual.   :gossip:

Looks like the lower grades for this book are starting to inch up at a slightly faster rate than the high grades which has definitely not been Overstreet's modus operandi in previous years.  But really nothing in comparison to the GA keys and semi-keys which are definitely accelerating at a much faster percentage rate in the lower grades as opposed to the higher grades.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like FF 1 has been bumped up from $2,200 up to $2,300 for a percentage gain of 4.5% in bottom of guide, as opposed to being bumped up from $135K up to $140K for a percentage gain of only 3.7%.  With VG prices at double the Good prices as per usual.   :gossip:

Looks like the lower grades for this book are starting to inch up at a slightly faster rate than the high grades which has definitely not been Overstreet's modus operandi in previous years.  But really nothing in comparison to the GA keys and semi-keys which are definitely accelerating at a much faster percentage rate in the lower grades as opposed to the higher grades.  hm

Thanks Lou, appreciate it.  Yes from everything I'm hearing there have been some big upward swings on the GA books.  Long overdue too IMO.

Each year I get the OSPG because it's a great overall resource, but I really miss the reduction in the cover gallery which featured color-reproduced classic covers across all ages printed on the high-stock, glossy paper -- toward the back of the Guide.  We really see few covers in the recent editions of the OSPG (excluding what appear in the color ads), which I suppose in the digital age doesn't matter because there are now hundreds of other ways to view covers from past eras, but I always looked forward to seeing what the editors picked out each year as featured covers.  Back in the 70s when I started collecting, the OSPG was my pretty much my only window to what was out there (unless I attended a con as a kid) and those OSPG cover galleries made my jaw drop.

I've got to recommend the market report from Jamie Newbold of Southern California Comics. Newbold spends about half the column by providing us an enlightening article on the pitfalls of shipping insurance and how difficult it can be to collect, whether from USPS or private collectibles insurance. Well worth the read; deserved to be a separate article on its own, under its own headline. 

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I've got to recommend the market report from Jamie Newbold of Southern California Comics. Newbold spends about half the column by providing us an enlightening article on the pitfalls of shipping insurance and how difficult it can be to collect, whether from USPS or private collectibles insurance. Well worth the read; deserved to be a separate article on its own, under its own headline. 

I couldn't agree more. Excellent advice and guidance that Jamie provided.

Another market report with excellent advice is Nick Katradis on Estate Planning. No matter how big or small (even if it is one key money book) ALL collectors should have some plan of intent of what do (and how to do it) with a collection for heirs/beneficiaries to follow after they pass. If you ever watch "American Pickers" episodes, where they are called to help with an estate after a collector, of any kind, has passed, you can see how overwhelming it is and lost the person inheriting something can be. A defined game plan for heirs to follow from the person who knows (YOU!) would be greatly helpful to your loved ones!

8 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I couldn't agree more. Excellent advice and guidance that Jamie provided.

Another market report with excellent advice is Nick Katradis on Estate Planning. No matter how big or small (even if it is one key money book) ALL collectors should have some plan of intent of what do (and how to do it) with a collection for heirs/beneficiaries to follow after they pass. If you ever watch "American Pickers" episodes, where they are called to help with an estate after a collector, of any kind, has passed, you can see how overwhelming it is and lost the person inheriting something can be. A defined game plan for heirs to follow from the person who knows (YOU!) would be greatly helpful to your loved ones!

page number of Katradis' article? Plowing through the Market report and have not read of it yet. Read Jamie's. Loved the "nobody reads these things" part.